Issues with a new HDD on the 211k

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
Back in 2011 I bought an external WD 500GB powered HDD for the 211k. It seems to be getting a bit glitchy so a while back I bought a Toshiba 1tb portable drive with a powered hub as I could not find a 1tb regular powered drive here. Anyway I got the 1tb hooked up and got the 211k to reformat the drive. So I decided to see if I could get a bit more mileage off the old WD500GB for a while. Today, I decided to hook the 1tb portable HDD back up through the powered hub. Well, after I turn off the 211k, hook up the 1tb, I turn it on, it will not do anything. The receiver seems dead, no message, no nothing. I tried several times, trying different hub connections, in case one did not work right. I finally decided to hook the old WD500 GB one back up and everything is back to normal. Any idea what is going on? Thanks.

Make sure powered hub supplies 5 volts. Also I don't think the 211 supports USB3 so hub needs to support USB2 also.

Tonight I fiddled with the portable Toshiba 1tb HDD and after a while, the 211k seemed to recognize the HDD and it started to download the program guide. It seems to be fine. I hope when reconnecting the old HDD, I do not have any issues. Too bad I can't connect both HDDs at the same time and switch between the two. Thanks for the feedback.

Any difference in running a portable HDD with a hub over a regular powered one in the case? The portable ones do run less and I wonder if they will last as long? The Toshiba 1tb continues to run fine now. By the way, the glitches on the old 500GB WD are now gone. I thought they were related to the unit jamming up and freezing at times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts