Issues with Hopper (telephone line and on demand)

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Just upgraded to the Hopper, it's pretty cool, but there's a small issue I'm having.

The technician did not plug the phone line in when he installed it, so I decided to do it myself. Only thing is that when I do plug it in all my phone lines are dead. I checked the phone connection in diagnostics and it says that there is no dial tone. Is there a problem with my Hopper's modem? It's not real necessary since it is only for caller ID, but just trying to figure it out.

The second issue I am having is I don't think my on demand is working properly. I was trying to check out some stand up on Comedy Central On Demand, but it says I am not subscribed. I know that my premium movie channels are working on demand, but the regular channels don't seem to be working. What do I do to access on demand?

Phone is probably a Cable problem or Hopper is bad.

It can take a couple of days or so for Dish receivers to "settle in." So things that don't work right off may be fine later.

I forgot to mention that I plugged a telephone into the jack and it worked fine. Definitely not a cable or jack problem.

It kind of confirms that my hopper has a problem, but I'm still hoping that there is a way to fix it without sending it back.

Be certain that you have the telephone wire plugged into the telephone jack and not the ethernet jack. My installer did that and I had the same symptoms.

Reactions: olfenite
Actually, it was my installer. It was his first Hopper install on March 17, 2012, the day after its premiere. Being a retired telephone man, I had it fixed in about one minute... :)

Reactions: ChadT41
Actually, it was my installer. It was his first Hopper install on March 17, 2012, the day after its premiere. Being a retired telephone man, I had it fixed in about one minute... :)
Happened to me once. Problem was, I did it!!

Be certain that you have the telephone wire plugged into the telephone jack and not the ethernet jack. My installer did that and I had the same symptoms.

That's why my wallplates have a 6 pin and 8 pin jacks. It helps a little. My wife plugged the phone in the 8 pin jack and wondered why the phone was out.

Turns out that this was my problem. I was trying to put the cable in without pulling the Hopper off the shelf and just feeling it out, and sure enough I plugged it in the ethernet jack. D'oh.

I pulled it out and found the actual phone jack and it is working like a charm now. Thanks a lot!!

Last edited: