Issues with RC71 remote/Genie client

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markprior22

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
central illinois
I've had this issue since I had DTV installed last February. Every so often (twice a week or so) the remotes for my clients lose their RF setting. They will turn TV on and control volume but have no control over DTV. When I first encountered this problem, I contacted DTV, had a couple different techs come out to no avail. I had to research this myself to even figure out what was going on. I have to hold mute and enter until the RF is re established. I can't seem to define a repeatable scenario that is causing this. I thought maybe operating the microwave might be the issue but it isn't consistent. Anyone else have this issue and have any success figuring out a permanent solution?

As of now this is a known issue Directv is aware of and the engineers are investigating. That doesn't explain why yours has been acting up since February.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As of now this is a known issue Directv is aware of and the engineers are investigating. That doesn't explain why yours has been acting up since February.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, if it's now a known issue, that makes me feel better. Hopefully it will get figured out soon then.

The known issue is actually with the rc72s and not the 71s if I remember correctly. A couple things to troubleshoot...

Is the remote an rc72? Call directv and have them send you a 71. If you have the protection plan, they will send you remotes for free.

Is it happening in more than one location or just the one place? If it's only in one place, it's probably also a bad remote.

If it's happening everywhere and you have a genie system, you might need to check to see if you have the most current firmware. You can force the genie to update itself by hitting the red reset button and once it lights up again, hit 0, 2, 4, 6, 8. You should see a progress bar indicating that it is searching for and downloading the latest firmware.

If all else fails, it's probably the genie receiver.

Do NOT follow ibuildradio's (bad) advice about trying to load current software. If you do it at the wrong time (such as tonight!) you might get unstable beta (CE) software instead of the current stable national release. There are several issues with the current beta release.

Reactions: Jam3s
Do NOT follow ibuildradio's (bad) advice about trying to load current software. If you do it at the wrong time (such as tonight!) you might get unstable beta (CE) software instead of the current stable national release. There are several issues with the current beta release.

Also, and I'm unsure on this, but that might not be the way to flash a client.

Do you d/l to the clients at all ?
Isn't the info really going to the Genie and the genie is distributing the info from there ?

Unsure, actually. I've never known of a way to force flash a client. And yes, it goes through the genie and to the clients, although based on experience, I'd say that the clients request the image from the server.

Yes, you can't force an update to the clients. The client software is downloaded to the Genie when there is a new client release and then from there to the clients, and there is no way to force it.

Texasbrit doesn't know what he's talking about. The CE beta firmware only downloads if you are specifically setup for it. Updating firmware is standard procedure on any install and only downloads the most current non-beta version. If you have at any point done a search for "iamanedgecutter" then you will always have beta firmware but I doubt that is the case. If it is, you might wan't to disable CE. If it forced the beta-version to download, everyone would be stuck with beta because we (field technicians) run it on every install.

Most likely, you do have the current firmware though because the IRD will update itself on its own after some time.

The answer to forcing a firmware to the clients, is that you can't. When the clients realize that the Genie has a different firmware, they will then update to that same version. Almost everything you see happening on a client is actually taking place at the Genie (Server).

The beta CE software will download on Friday and Saturday night ET from 11PM to 2:30AM if it is in the stream and if you reset and enter 02468 when the unit first powers on. You do not need to be setup for it at all.

Texasbrit doesn't know what he's talking about. The CE beta firmware only downloads if you are specifically setup for it. Updating firmware is standard procedure on any install and only downloads the most current non-beta version. If you have at any point done a search for "iamanedgecutter" then you will always have beta firmware but I doubt that is the case. If it is, you might wan't to disable CE. If it forced the beta-version to download, everyone would be stuck with beta because we (field technicians) run it on every install.

Most likely, you do have the current firmware though because the IRD will update itself on its own after some time.

The answer to forcing a firmware to the clients, is that you can't. When the clients realize that the Genie has a different firmware, they will then update to that same version. Almost everything you see happening on a client is actually taking place at the Genie (Server).

TOTALLY wrong. As chip says, ANYONE who downloads inside the beta window will get the beta software. The only reason the techs don't see it is that they are not usually downloading software inside the beta window. You should not post about something you do not understand.

And the client firmware has NOTHING to do with the Genie firmware version.

Let's keep the conversation to the issues and not each other. Thanks.

Any further posting not related to the topic will be deleted and could result in vacations. Just saying.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)