It finally rained

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
Been waiting for rain and or snow to see if my VOOM power numbers would go down, and how it would effect my picture.

It finally rain and snowed. The snow did not have any effect, but the rain dropped me from a 93 to a 67, and the channel changing became very slow. this was really light rain but that is all it took to mess with the picture.

Yesterday I received an emaili from INSTALLS INC, saying that I would be getting a new receiver, because the CSR thought I needed one, due to loss of picture during the last snow storm.

Today I called VOOM and the CSR (Donald) was very helpful. We cancelled the new receiver install, and he said that he would put me on the INSTALLS INC list for a larger dish. Don't know if it is 24 or 30, but it should help.

Also asked if there were any new rumors about ESPN. He said he still hadn't heard a date, but it was coming.

All in all a decent dealing with VOOM and hopefully a solution to a occaisonal problem.

I put in my own 24" dish before I knew that you might be able to get Voom to do it. And, it hasn't rained a drop in two weeks. But, this is Florida. It will rain. Soon. Hard.

If you live in a windy place, you will hate a larger dish. if it moves even a little during high winds you will have terrible signal loss.

Wind and location

My dish is on the east side of a house that faces square with the compass, i.e. font door is south, back door is north, dish is on the east side. Any high winds I can recall are all from the west.

Speaking of snow. It is about 70 degrees today, but snow is possible into June, (although it melts fast). We did get about 8 inches over Easter weekend.

Elevation 5300 ft, on the east slope of the Wind River Mts. (continential divide is about 10 miles away) in Central Wyoming, (Lander)

mini1 said:
If you live in a windy place, you will hate a larger dish. if it moves even a little during high winds you will have terrible signal loss.

hmm that's funny, I live in an area where it's very windy, and I pt up a 30" dish and don't have any signal loss when that wind gets going? Maybe I just know how to tighten down a big dish the way it should be?

glad to hear that

I'm not too worried about wind. My BIG dish is 9 ft across and it is only about once every two or three years that the wind causes problems. I have to assume that it is easy to build a solid windproff small 24-30" dish.

mini1 said:

I haven't had any trouble with 30" dish and wind.

Ill just be happy if my 18" dish stays attached after the next hurricane. I could actually be watching TV with a generator afterwards instead of sitting in the dark for a week with cable.

vurbano said:
Ill just be happy if my 18" dish stays attached after the next hurricane. I could actually be watching TV with a generator afterwards instead of sitting in the dark for a week with cable.
Move to California Vurbano-all we have in our beautiful state are those pesky little earthquakes-lol

TC_Lauderdale said:
and mudslides, wildfires, smog, traffic, riots (although not recently thank God), etc. No thanks, I'll stay in sunny South FLA where we have our own less interesting problems. ;)
Stereotypes,stereotypes-too much t.v. I gather-wesssssssssssside
If we are talking stereotypes, don't get me started on the South-too EASY!

All I know is that in the NBC movie "10.5" I'm rooting for the eartquake ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts