It works or it doesn't work

JMIZZ

Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Okay, I'll try to brief. Had problems with the system ever since we moved here. The signal keeps going out for a period of time( 6-8 hours) and then returns again for a period of time and then goes out again, this process repeats for a while and then it goes out for good. I have had three techs come out and while one was there he traced the wires and found that the diplexer that feeds the signal from the (box to tv2, and from the sat to sat 1 and sat 2 inputs), stopped working . He replaced it and everything worked, for a while. It went out again after two weeks and this time, while waiting for my tech to come out, I replaced the diplexer and wala everything worked again. When the tech came out, i asked what causes these bad diplexers and his response was it either "works or doesn't work", no troubleshooting. He gave me a couple extra diplexers and left. Now it is starting to go out again and I have another appointment to have the field service manager come out and take a look but, is there really nothing they can do to troubleshoot. What keeps causes these diplexers to go out...Thanks guys I normally don't post but couldn't figure out what to search for on this one.

VIP622
I don't know what kind of LNB, but there is only one sat on the roof,
Also before the line gets to the reciever it goes through some sort of power inVserter 444.

i would say it is not diplexers failing. when you disconnect from sat it re sets LNB so it's starting to work. after a while it goes out. when it happens next time disconnect the cable give it couple of minutes and connect it back see if it is going to come back. you will know it is diplexers or not. 811's had same problem.
can you give some more info on about that power inverter 444. is it something the dish installed or you did? go to menu 6-1-3 it will do self test and will tel you what type of LNB and Switch installed. it would help us a little bit as well

Another possibility if he has an unused cable wire in the vicinity of the DPP44 that he can hook up to port 1 and put the power inserter at the other end of that available wire.

power inserter is burning up the diplexors. Can you put the inserter by the switch and put the receiver on port 2?

I am not really sure what that means? I was guessing that the power inserter was the problem. Also I went to 6-1-3 like the post above requested but I wasn't sure what specs were referring to the type of LNB I had. Is it listed under device? What does the term dpp44 refer to , is that the type of switch? On Thursday I have a field service manager coming out, in their past visits there have not checked anything regarding the power inserter, is that something he should be checking. It seems that last time he just measured the SAT signal strength on the lines not the ?amount of power? going into the diplexer.

Last edited:
Another possibility if he has an unused cable wire in the vicinity of the DPP44 that he can hook up to port 1 and put the power inserter at the other end of that available wire.

I think I do. I only have one tuner. and there is an unused cable wire coming off the SAT. Are you saying hook the power inserter to that cable and just run the other line to the diplxer without going through the power inserter?

The power inserter must be connected to port 1 of the dpp44 switch. Normally the power inserter is installed inline with the receiver, but it doesn't have to be. If your switch is located in a spot where you have multiple lines coming to it, you could put the power inserter in another room (regardless of whether it has a TV or not) and connect the line from that room to port one of your switch. The idea is to bypass the diplexer because it sounds like the diplexers you have can't handle the extra amperage supplied by the power inserter. You could also get a quality diplexer DPD2 Satellite UHF/VHF Diplexer - Applied Telcomm Corp. that is designed to be used with a power inserter.

Another thing to check is all of your fittings. Make sure the stingers on them aren't too long. Dish specs say they should protrude from the fitting no more than the width of a nickel...but I usually leave them at twice that. It becomes a problem when they are a half inch long or more, they begin to short out.

Where are you located?

The power inserter must be connected to port 1 of the dpp44 switch. Normally the power inserter is installed inline with the receiver, but it doesn't have to be. If your switch is located in a spot where you have multiple lines coming to it, you could put the power inserter in another room (regardless of whether it has a TV or not) and connect the line from that room to port one of your switch. The idea is to bypass the diplexer because it sounds like the diplexers you have can't handle the extra amperage supplied by the power inserter. You could also get a quality diplexer DPD2 Satellite UHF/VHF Diplexer - Applied Telcomm Corp. that is designed to be used with a power inserter.

Another thing to check is all of your fittings. Make sure the stingers on them aren't too long. Dish specs say they should protrude from the fitting no more than the width of a nickel...but I usually leave them at twice that. It becomes a problem when they are a half inch long or more, they begin to short out.

Where are you located?

St louis

All signs points to the diplexers not being able to handle the extra amperage. I find it really strange that the contract satallite company that did the install from dish would not know about this. When I plug the reciever into a line different from the power inserter, are there any setting changes that need to happen or just reboot.

Is either one of these your diplexer?

img_860_Small.gif

img_573_Med.jpg

Is either one of these your diplexer?

img_860_Small.gif

img_573_Med.jpg

Yes, funny you ask that, when it went out last week, I replaced the diplexer in the back with the HOLLAND DPD2. I found it in a drawer from a left over move. The one that installation guy provided is an ASKA SCS-2A 5-2150 MHz. I havent had to use their's yet as mine is still working after one week. I have had a total of three diplexer's go out since October, and I have no idea what kind were on there before the latest one. Whats your recommendation.

The blue one in the picture is approved by DISH NETWORK for installation on a line that has a power inserter. I don't know of any others that are approved.

The techs came out today. The First thing they noticed was the original tech had the switch mounted to the base of the dish and wasn't grounded very well. Looks like instead of running one extra wire he just used the directv cables that were already there. They fixed that, and I got them to move the power inserter off the line of the receiver, and they made the same comment about the previous company using sub-standard diplexers. I'll never no exactly what caused my problems, however I think they are done with for now. Thanks for all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)