It would be nice if...

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
It would be nice if Didh Network allowed people to subscribe to ala carte services without having to subscribe to any of the base packages. I could then subscribe to only the superstations for $7 a month or Blockbuster movie pass for $10 or Encore movie channels for $5 or any mix of services. Perfect for someone wanting to cut costs and these added services would go perfect with OTA or FTA satellite.

They use to allow that with a $6 extra fee...but then kinda got rid of it and offered the Welcome Pack for 14.99 which is a heckuva deal honestly. I mean locals only were 11.99 (5.99 + $6 fee). Now for 14.99 you get locals + some extra stations

IIRC you are already down to Welcome Pack. Your sig says 722 which is an extra $6 DVR fee. My bill with a 211 on WP is 14.99 + taxes...no extra fees :)
If you own the equipment you could cancel and start back up at a later time....or do Dish Pause for $5 a month which is a stopgap thing (for a couple months)

on a side note....find me one of the main providers out there that will allow you to add extra stuff to the ultra basic package
my local cable company charges 15 and some change for lifeline cable. You can't add anything to it
Directv basic package is 29.99 (family) and can't add anything extra to it
no Fios or U-Verse here but I assume they are the same thing

So the fact for 14.99 I get some channels and have the opportunity to add some small add-ons like the outdoor sports, heritage pack, supers, encore I'm very happy Dish allows that

Iceberg gives you the best way to accomplish what you want. Dish does offer some good A La Cart packages, and I can see how for some, along with say Hulu or Roku etc.. those add on's would be enough.

An a la carte menu would acrually result in a higher net cost per channel to the subscriber, regardless of the provider, since the provider would be charged more for an a la carte offering than a bundled offering of channels.

Lou Farris, MBA
Dish Network Internet Response Team
Tuesday - Saturday 2:45 - 11:15

Last edited by a moderator:
sadly the alacarte horse had been neat to death, the buzzards have picked it clean, the remains have seeped into the ground like compost and a new horse has been killed in its place ;)
While a nice idea there have been numerous threads on why some parties wont let it happen. I suggest a search in that matter

Tampa8 said:
Iceberg gives you the best way to accomplish what you want. Dish does offer some good A La Cart packages, and I can see how for some, along with say Hulu or Roku etc.. those add on's would be enough.

If only the Welcome Pack was a qualifying package for Multi-Sport. :( If ESPN were to go a la carte or be bundled with ESPN2, U, ESPNews and Classic I'm wondering if the Welcome Pack would then suffice or if someone would have to keep 100+ or whatever.

Iceberg said:
because you dont get your RSN in the package (WP) you cant get multi-sport

Right. I'm more or less wondering, though, if something like the Welcome or Family Pack would be considered "qualifying" if sports were to begin to be offered a la carte. Given the stance DISH has taken on sports it has peaked my curiosity.

For example, our local cable company has something similar to the theme packs offered in Canada. One cannot get a theme pack with the basics (locals only - $9.95 month). But the cable company does offer a $17.95 package (similar to theWelcome Package) that qualifies for the theme packs. Only problem is that you barely save a few bucks over a regular package in most instances. I checked about it and would have saved $6 month (but would be missing USA #rawsucks). Considering the savings would have only been $6 I just as soon stay put (as I have a larger variety in the 120 package). Only difference is I would have picked up VS and a few other sports channels I don't currently get with my DISH package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)