ITB 1.2 Meter Offset Dish KD120S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1ADAM12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
10-6 Gas Pumps
So far have not been able to get any signal with this dish Ku or C. The published specs. Call for a 90 cm focal length. Haven’t been able to get that distance with the lnbf holder and bracket that came with the dish. So far no response from the distributor. Pretty sure elevation and azimuth are OK.
Need confirmation of F/D and what type of holder to use. In the attached pdf file it looks like the lnbf holder is aimed well towards the upper part of the dish.

Attachments

• 665A1001.JPG
    665A1001.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 300
  • 665A1003.JPG
    665A1003.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 275
  • itbKD120S2.pdf
    206.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Post_ITB 4.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 424
From just a quick look at the pix (and not the docs), I would suspect your LNBf is mounted too high.

If your mount has elevation marks on it, I would do the following to get the thing aimed properly.
Find a DBS satellite (110, 119, 82, 91 are good candidates), just generally near your true south.
Set the dish's elevation to match the chosen bird.
Put a DBS LNB on the LNB holder.
Now, move the dish around looking for the strong signal.
Should be very easy to find, especially on one of those $10 meters.
Note the elevation on your mount.
Is it anywhere close to correct?
If not, record the error, and use that as a correction factor, later.

ALSO, note that the C-band LNBF may mount higher than the DBS LNB, so that throws off your elevavation too!

And , don't bother trying to get Ku on the dish at first, if that's a dual band LNBf.
I'd go for a strong C-band signal, 'till you have a handle on it.

From just a quick look at the pix (and not the docs), I would suspect your LNBf is mounted too high.

If your mount has elevation marks on it, I would do the following to get the thing aimed properly.
Find a DBS satellite (110, 119, 82, 91 are good candidates), just generally near your true south.
Set the dish's elevation to match the chosen bird.
Put a DBS LNB on the LNB holder.
Now, move the dish around looking for the strong signal.
Should be very easy to find, especially on one of those $10 meters.
Note the elevation on your mount.
Is it anywhere close to correct?
If not, record the error, and use that as a correction factor, later.

ALSO, note that the C-band LNBF may mount higher than the DBS LNB, so that throws off your elevavation too!

And , don't bother trying to get Ku on the dish at first, if that's a dual band LNBf.
I'd go for a strong C-band signal, 'till you have a handle on it.

My thoughts too. Trying to get strong TP's on 99W.

Thanks for that, The specs call for a 35.4" focal length and the best I can get with the bracket that came with it is 27.5"

In the vendors picture of the dish, they show a plastic holder that angles up towards the top of the dish. Pictures can be deceiving.

I was in a hurry when I posted above, and may not have properly conveyed my main point.
Set the mount's elevation to what you need (for that 119 bird) then move the LNB around 'till you get it.
That should tell you where the LNB needs to be .
Both in elevation, and in focal length.

Once you know, then mount the mouth of your C-band LNB about the same place (you may have to fiddle a bit with focus), and you should be off to the races.

If you cannot rely on the elevation marks on your mount, then what's the point? :rolleyes:

Yes, that sounds like a good way to find focal length and pointing angle to the electrical center of the dish.

Thanks

Looking at the GeosatPro lnbf, I also suspect that the polarity is wrong. I think you need to turn the lnbf 90 degrees in its holder. The polarity markon the end of the barrel should point either to 9:00 or 3:00 , rather than up or down. That fact threw me off for awhile.
:)

yeah for some reason the Geosat units the skew is off by 90 degrees

come to think of it, a lot of the C-Band LNBF's are off by 90 degrees on skew.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts