It's 45 years since the first man on the moon......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
You didn't miss anything. I was in 6th grade.

It was standard NTSC analog, and looked like they smeared Vasoline over the lenses.

I've seen film of early 1930's broadcasts that looked better. It couldn't have been worse if they TRIED to make it look bad for whatever reason.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
It was standard NTSC analog, and looked like they smeared Vasoline over the lenses.

Untrue! Bob told me it was because the lighting technician was off that day when they filmed the footage from Soundstage # 4 at the NBC studios in California.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Hutch1814
Guys, the video transmission at that time was analog narrow band video and that's why I want to know what kind of format they used at that time!;)

I remember it well also. Very poor image quality. I took some photos off the TV of those first steps, as that was the only way I could record it. Never imagined having a VCR, let alone a DVR.

The Dish is an entertaining, if not particularly factual movie, about downlinking the Apollo 11 video at the Parkes radio telescope in Australia.

I remember, I was 8yro then and it was waaaaay late but my folks let me stay up to see the moon walk. I was really tired and cranky, I had blankets and pillows on the living room floor in front of the TV.
I think by this time we had gotten a color TV but the moon stuff was all black and white. My dad tried to take a picture of the TV with his 35mm camera.
Somewhere in oodles of old slides those pictures are there.

Those were exciting times, us kids, we thought the Jetsons were gonna be happening any day..

Reactions: lost_mesa
I wasn´t even in school back then, I do remember the black and white images, but we didn´t have a color tv then.

Our TV was soooo old it had a crank on it to get it going. All the tubes glowing kept the flat warm in the winter.

Thanks, Dee Ann for the goodies!:)

Now, I wonder if we go back to moon with a new videos codic like HEVC that to me would be a holy grail for HDTV narrow band tranmission!:bow:clapping

I took this photo on July 20, 1969 from the screen of our 19" Silvertone TV during the live broadcast of man first landing on the Moon.
First Moon Landing_1969July20_enhanced.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts