It's a beautiful day in Kentucky!!!

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
...from a Wildcats fan's perspective anyways!!! :up

ESPN is reporting that Tubby Smith is leaving to take the Minnesota job!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406

He is a decent person and I wish him well in his endeavors...but he didnt fit at Kentucky after he used up Pitino's recruiting efforts in the late 90's! It's time to get someone in there that can get the job done!

(side note to Rick Pitino...time to right your wrong...drop this silly Louisville fling and come back home to Rupp!) :D

I just saw this myself. I have mixed feelings about this. What if they get someone who does worse than Tubby? Then what?

well...that's a possibility of course...but I felt like Kentucky had to do something. I don't think things would have gotten any better as long as Tubby stayed. He seemed to hit his ceiling a couple years ago.

You got it right the first time - - Didn't do much after Pitino's recruits were gone.

It AIN'T Pitino....COULD it be that not EVERYONE thinks it's great to go to the Kentuckys and the Dukes as a college basketball player? I mean talk about "what have you done for me lately..??"....:rolleyes: Going back to the "it aint Pitino" comment....what has Pitino done since he was in Louisville? Nada! He is a great coach, don't get me wrong....but every college team, regardless of the sport, has their up and down years....and then there is always that word that is a 2 edged sword....."parity" In fact, Tubby has more championships in the last 10 years than Pitino does....:D

I heard this on the news tonight and they said Tubby Smith is coming to coach Minnesota and I looked at my stepdad and was like "what the hell did they say?"

We cant belive it. After the horrible coaches Joel Maturi (Minnesota Athletic Director) hired, this one is what might solidify his being a AD

(and I hate the Gophers BTW....I'm a Mn Duluth Bulldog fan) :)

Well let me see...Tubby 1 NCAA Chapionship, Pitino 1 NCAA Championship. Last 10 years Tubby 3x National coach of the year and that is in different years... Pitino 0. Last 10 years (according to ESPN) only 3 coaches have more wins than Tubby.
Last 10 years 3 Elite 8"s (same as coach K).
Last 10 years Ky was the overall #1 twice (that's 20% of the time).
Last 10 years Ky has 5 SEC Titles and 5 SEC tournement Championships.
Last 10 years the only coach to win 26 regular season games in a row.
Last 10 years Tubby has averaged 26 wins.
Last 6 years Tubby v. Pitino 4 wins and 2 losses.

Go Goffers!

Well let me see...Tubby 1 NCAA Chapionship, Pitino 1 NCAA Championship. Last 10 years Tubby 3x National coach of the year and that is in different years... Pitino 0. Last 10 years (according to ESPN) only 3 coaches have more wins than Tubby.
Last 10 years 3 Elite 8"s (same as coach K).
Last 10 years Ky was the overall #1 twice (that's 20% of the time).
Last 10 years Ky has 5 SEC Titles and 5 SEC tournement Championships.
Last 10 years the only coach to win 26 regular season games in a row.
Last 10 years Tubby has averaged 26 wins.
Last 6 years Tubby v. Pitino 4 wins and 2 losses.

Go Goffers!

Thanks!! LOL...your honor, I rest my case!:up

Funny thing about statistics is that they can be framed to fit any argument. Tubby still won that championship with PITINO'S players.

Yes he did. Also though he kept their current string of 16 straight tournamnet appearances going.

I can't understand how people can hate a coach who has won a national championship, and has been to the tournament for 10 years straight.:rolleyes:

Yes he did. Also though he kept their current string of 16 straight tournamnet appearances going.

Indeed...

Im not a big fan of Tubby's but hes a great defensive coach...

defense doesnt win games.. it helps but it doesnt win them...

Part of the recent problem has been recruiting too... we get 1 or 2 really strong players, well we need at least 5.

Well...Morris is gone too...signed with the Knicks today according to ESPN. I'm not really sad over that loss either. Let the rebuilding begin!

Thanks!! LOL...your honor, I rest my case!:up

Of course...a few other stats:

• First UK coach to go 8 straight years without a final four.
  • First UK coach to have to play on Thursday in an SEC tournament since the expansion to the current 12 team format.
  • The First UK coach to lose 10 or more games three years in a row, and 4 of the last 7 years.
  • The first UK coach to lose to Vandy or Ole Miss in Rupp (or twice for that matter...and first time swept by Vandy in 32 years)
  • The first UK coach to lose 4 straight to an SEC opponent in 30 years.
  • Only coach to lose 4 home games to SEC Opponents
  • 6 game losing streak to Florida / 4 game losing streak to Vandy
  • More Home losses than any previous UK coach
  • Most Double Digit loss seasons of any UK coach
  • 1st UK coach to not finish at least 2nd in the East since the SEC expansion
  • Most transfers and problem players of any UK coach
  • Never recruited a player to play in a final four in 16 years as a head coach
  • Fewest NBA draft picks of any coach with at least 5 years (only 2 1st rounders in 10 years)
  • 47% of his recruits don't make their senior year (admittedly not all his fault)
  • Only coach with the overall #1 seed in the NCAA to lose in the 2nd round
  • Lowest Average Points Scored Per Game since the 3 point shot was introduced
  • Worst loss to Indiana ever (26 points)
  • Only UK coach to lose consecutive games to Kansas
  • Worst Loss on Senior Day since 1919
  • Only UK coach with a losing record vs Michigan State (2-4)
  • Only coach to ever lose to a number 1 ranked team at Rupp.
  • Only coach to ever begin the season ranked in the top 10 and finish the season unranked.

No...I didnt come up with all that...saw it in a post somewhere else, but thought there were some interesting counterpoints in there, thought I havent verified them all either.

Yes...we Kentucky fans have been spoiled by success in the past and tend expect a lot! :up

The Pirates (and Ron Simmons)...

Cubs and Tribune to be sold at end of season

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)