It's Official! 921 is released! Call your local retailer!

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
It's Official! The 921 is released! Call your local retailer! The only problem is, I still don't think anyone can get there hands on one for at least a few more days. In speaking to someone at E* executive offices in response to an e-mail I sent to ceo@echostar.com (about the 921 and more HDTV content), I was told that the 921 is "Officially released" and that I should contact my local retailer. I did speak to my dealer and his distributor says that he'll have them Monday or Tuesday. I have also had to call E* on two occasions (yesterday & today) as my 721 is on its last legs, and I asked two different CSR's about the 921 and they both told me that it is released and available, to contact a local retailer. And as we all know the 921 is now on dishnetwork.com so, maybe some of us will be lucky enough to snag one of these next week! Only time will tell...

But for regular price?

Word is if you wait for the Direct Tivo HDTV model and there Press Release on Jan 8th where they will announceit for $699 with a one year contract and Avl on March 1st

That Dish will make the 921 for also $699

Thats a $300 saving just for waiting a couple of Months so you can get all the facts and compare.

Waiting is hard.

That's the price you have to pay to be an innovator. We'll also have to put up with software that's not 100% until they get it right. But there will be some (and I'm one of them) that won't wait and get this unit the minute we can!

If you wait about 2 years you may be able to save another couple of hundred bucks. Heck for that matter if you wait forever, you will save the entire thousand! Doesn't that thousand dollars feel so good in your pocket. Or, does that 921 putting pretty HDTV up on your screen, time shifted to your schedule feel better. You choose! :)

pvr-921

I'm thinking about getting the new 921,but I would like to find out if anyone out here has the 921 could use the dishwire outputs to record to a High Definition vcr like the Jvc
hm-dh30000u?
When the hard drive gets full of HD shows or movies then you would have to eliminate to make room.
I will not get a 921 if I can't archive to a DVHS High Definition VCR.

If any one owns a 921 & a DVHS VCR (High Definition)please let me know going from the 921 dishwire out to firewire in of a DVHS recorder if it will accept the transfer.
I waited a long time to record from the 921 to an external backup (so if the 921's hard drive gets full that I can dump it onto a High Definion tape.

I really would appreeciate the answer to this very important question.
Thankyou

921/Dvhs testers

I appreciate your response,thankyou.
I also heard that was suppose to happen too.

But I like to hear from anyone out there that has these 2 pieces of equipment and do an actual real test.

Don,

Well put. Hey if you waited long enough you might have extra storage capabilities, be able to burn to HD-DVD, have six tuners, etc and have it all for $399. But isn't true of just about anything electronic?

larryhdtv,

When the 921 does arrive that capability is not likely to be active. But it's been reported that it's something that is planned to be added via a future software release. Check back here over the next few months. I'm sure Dish will want this active be the time the HD-DirecTivo comes out. That unit isn't supposed to have FireWire at all.

I've got my order in too!

I don't care if the PVC is still warm out of the mold.

If it weren't for people like us willing to risk a little money and a little time to work the bugs out, you might still be reading books by lamplight and traveling by covered wagon. (A little far fetched example, but...)

Really if you want to get obscene about saving money, then Scott should save a bunch and not even TRY to offer a support forum like this, which costs MANY hundreds of dollars per year to run.

I choose to live life on the edge. I get one chance and I am goin' for it!

dmodemd said:
Ooo... you get to pay $300 for the privilege to be a beta tester!! wow... ;)
Hey, I'm sure there are a lot of us who would have been happy to pay that just so we could be beta testers. ;)

edit

See, Bob, DVDDad, and Mark agree with me! :D

Don Landis said:
If you wait about 2 years you may be able to save another couple of hundred bucks. Heck for that matter if you wait forever, you will save the entire thousand! Doesn't that thousand dollars feel so good in your pocket. Or, does that 921 putting pretty HDTV up on your screen, time shifted to your schedule feel better. You choose! :)

Thats not a real fair comparison, there is a huge difference in waiting 2 months for a 33% savings and possibly another HD PVR option with D* than two years from the time of release or even forever. I understand some ppl like to be the first on their block so to speak, so whatever floats your boat.

Spoke to my dealer again today (Tuesday 12/23) after he called his distributer. The distributer did receive a delivery today and not one 921 was on the truck. He said there is another delivery scheduled for Friday, 12/26. Having the product on your web page and telling your customers that "the 921's are available, to call your local retailer", doesn't exactly count as "by Christmas" Charlie!

Tahoerob said:
after reading about the OTA bug that needs to be fixed on dbstalk, I am glad to wait another week.

Apparently, the bug has been fixed, but in what is becoming typical Dish style, they now have a problem in getting it up to the birds. If it isn't one thing, with Dish, it's another. They have really fallen apart. I wish they would have released more 921s, and I'd be careful not to tune to any weak OTA channels.

What I'm really waiting for is the next Charlie Chat in which I'm sure Charlie will happily take the opportunity to boast that he did indeed ship the 921 by Christmas. He'll omit that it only shipped to 10 people.

Still no luck from my dealer. He says his distributer hasn't received any yet. But, Scott & Claude got theirs, so Charlie can say he got them out by Christmas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)