It's Official - iPhone on Verizon Wireless

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
iPhone Coming to Verizon by Year's End, Insiders Say - FoxNews.com

Hold on to your contracts, folks -- it appears that the iPhone is finally coming to Verizon.

Apple plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, people briefed by Apple told the Wall Street Journal.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.

Apple and Verizon have been reportedly negotiating for about a year. In early January, FoxNews.com reported that Apple was in talks with both AT&T and Verizon to support its forthcoming iPad, according to sources within the companies: One version of the device was being planned to run on CDMA networks such as Verizon's, and one to operate on GSM networks like that owned by AT&T.

In March, FoxNews.com reported that a person familiar with the situation said Pegatron was scheduled to start mass producing CDMA-based iPhones in September, but it was unclear when Apple might make the model available.

iPhone Coming to Verizon by Year's End, Insiders Say - FoxNews.com

Hold on to your contracts, folks -- it appears that the iPhone is finally coming to Verizon.

Apple plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, people briefed by Apple told the Wall Street Journal.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.

Apple and Verizon have been reportedly negotiating for about a year. In early January, FoxNews.com reported that Apple was in talks with both AT&T and Verizon to support its forthcoming iPad, according to sources within the companies: One version of the device was being planned to run on CDMA networks such as Verizon's, and one to operate on GSM networks like that owned by AT&T.

In March, FoxNews.com reported that a person familiar with the situation said Pegatron was scheduled to start mass producing CDMA-based iPhones in September, but it was unclear when Apple might make the model available.

Well last week the CEO said No iPhone anytime soon. These rumors are getting old. Besides if it is CDMA it could be for Sprint as well.

WSJ?
The same guys that told the world & dog the iPad will start around $1K?
Referring to reliable sources inside the company...

Rrrright...:)

The only question here: Who paid them to publish this? Apple? Verizon? Sprint? Qualcomm?

Diogen.

Despite the title, as previously stated, it's still just a rumor. Wake me when Verizon makes an announcement.

LTE is going to be up and runnning in the top 10 markets within 90 days, and I remember reading somewhere that they are putting two chips in the iphone's, the qualicomm chip, and a CDMA chip for LTE.

LTE and CDMA are not the same.

unless Qualcomm has a chip that is dual mode I suspect that it really will be only CDMA first.

WSJ?
The same guys that told the world & dog the iPad will start around $1K?
Referring to reliable sources inside the company...

Rrrright...:)

The only question here: Who paid them to publish this? Apple? Verizon? Sprint? Qualcomm?

Diogen.

Doubt it was Qualcomm they are already raking in dough.
Sprint nah it really doesn't benefit them.
Hmm Between Apple and Verizon lets see......

LTE and CDMA are not the same.

unless Qualcomm has a chip that is dual mode I suspect that it really will be only CDMA first.

Apple designs for battery and uses the network with the most coverage (ie look how long it took them to make a 3G phone).

This will be CDMA and will not support LTE. I can pretty much guarantee that one. I do think this is a true rumor, though. Android is getting too much market and Apple can only react to that by expanding.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them on other US carriers too. They are just doing the big boy first.

According to the article that I read they are specifically putting in two chips for the talk and surf the internet feature. Is speculated that it will include Lte.

We know Qualcomm makes a chipset for LTE but the voice standard is not certified for it yet.
Qualcomm also cornered to the CDMA radio market.

There is also Speculation that Qualcomm has a dual mode chipset that does both. This is what i would suspect they will attempt to use.

Apple designs for battery and uses the network with the most coverage (ie look how long it took them to make a 3G phone).

This will be CDMA and will not support LTE. I can pretty much guarantee that one. I do think this is a true rumor, though. Android is getting too much market and Apple can only react to that by expanding.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them on other US carriers too. They are just doing the big boy first.

HUH?

We know Qualcomm makes a chipset for LTE but the voice standard is not certified for it yet.
Qualcomm also cornered to the CDMA radio market.

There is also Speculation that Qualcomm has a dual mode chipset that does both. This is what i would suspect they will attempt to use.

That makes sence. Im excitied. I'm holding out untill CES before going to a driod, if apple doesnt move. I have waited this long useing my 3g on Tmobile, I can wait a bit longer.

I do need to replace my 3g soon as its not picking up wirless networks anymore. :(

It also could be a CDMA phone for an Asian telecom. The only thing I can probably say is true is that one day VZ will have an Apple phone. I must say though that the companies involved (Apple, ATT, VZ) are doing a very good job of keeping the actual date a secret.

That would be great, would love the Apple Iphone but its hard to leave verizon becouse I get a montly discount with them through work

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this weeding through the repeat rumors.

From what I see there is really nothing new in this week's WSJ announcement other than a repeated "No comment" from Verizon CEO. Neither Verizon, AT&T nor Apple stock is much affected by this announcement. It was considered by most investors as nothing new, just a repeat of old story being kept alive. I found the "big announcement" in WSJ so old news I didn't even bother to post it here this week.

What I do know as factual-

1. Qualcomm does have the contract to deliver CDMA chips to Apple for December delivery.
2. Verizon is said to get iphone CDMA version late January.
3. Verizon training on iphone to begin in mid December.
4. First chips from Qualcomm will not be LTE. Look for that in June.
5. No word at all on CDMA ipad.
6. Qualcomm does have a combo chip for LTE, CDMA and GSM but no word on release date nor whether Apple will be getting that for June iphone / ipad.

Don Landis said:
I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this weeding through the repeat rumors.

From what I see there is really nothing new in this week's WSJ announcement other than a repeated "No comment" from Verizon CEO. Neither Verizon, AT&T nor Apple stock is much affected by this announcement. It was considered by most investors as nothing new, just a repeat of old story being kept alive. I found the "big announcement" in WSJ so old news I didn't even bother to post it here this week.

What I do know as factual-

1. Qualcomm does have the contract to deliver CDMA chips to Apple for December delivery.
2. Verizon is said to get iphone CDMA version late January.
3. Verizon training on iphone to begin in mid December.
4. First chips from Qualcomm will not be LTE. Look for that in June.
5. No word at all on CDMA ipad.
6. Qualcomm does have a combo chip for LTE, CDMA and GSM but no word on release date nor whether Apple will be getting that for June iphone / ipad.

Plus the reports of the iphone4 for verizon being manufactured now in order to be ready foe the January release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)