I've lost closed captioning on TCM. Am I alone?

Could you please cite examples so I can be on the lookout?
Just tune in to another channel with service 0 on and note how the captions look and then change CC to service 1 and note the difference, if there is any. It doesn't happen on every channel and I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a big deal. Usually it's just larger or different fonts with extra spacing between lines. It doesn't ruin the captioning experience and, to be honest, I'd bet most people wouldn't even notice. I'm hard-of-hearing myself and some of my family members are totally deaf (hereditary) so we've watched TV with captions since the 80s. You just get used to the way they normally look and when they're "different" it's noticeable.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks Lon. I use CC a lot.
Oh it's a godsend and turned on on every TV in the house. Without it I'd drive people nuts in the room by either turning up the volume real loud or using the replay button constantly to hear what I missed. :biggrin What bugs us now is some captioners appear to be getting lazy...like just typing ♪♪ [ singing ] instead of providing the words or not keeping up with live TV conversations and typing [ ... ] LOL

Reactions: JSheridan
Years ago I was watching a live football game with both sound and cc.One of the backs had a breakaway run and the announcer is saying "he's at the 40,the thirty the twenty the ten Touchdown!"Meanwhile the poor CC operator is trying to keep until he ended up just mashing the keys and spewing gibberish.

Oh it's a godsend and turned on on every TV in the house. Without it I'd drive people nuts in the room by either turning up the volume real loud or using the replay button constantly to hear what I missed. :biggrin What bugs us now is some captioners appear to be getting lazy...like just typing ♪♪ [ singing ] instead of providing the words or not keeping up with live TV conversations and typing [ ... ] LOL
That happens (lazy) a lot. I think part of the problem is that the captioners have a heavy work load and some can handle it a bit better and still do details while others are overwhelmed and they just don't spend the time to research. Also, sometimes the captioners are simply transcribing from the scripts, and those scripts may not have detail about music, etc., since particular details are decided AFTER the script has been written and submitted or in the case of a classic movie, studios never followed up and put details into script after decision/rights secured, etc. Nobody wants to go "back" and do anything. The Film is in the can, and they just don't care anymore.

FWIW, it is pretty sad. I think today captioners are to have their own (costly) software and often work remotely at a PC at home. It wasn't always that way, but now captioners have to have all their own "stuff" at their own expense, most often at home, and then they get the work, usually a pretty heavy work load with deadlines or expected "productivity" per day, etc. No joy.

I have a bit of age related hearing loss and noticed that older programming presents no problem for me. It's the newer programming whether movies or TV where the sound levels vary. I think older programing employed sound leveling to a greater extent than today's programming.

That said, I hear most of the stuff so when using closed captioning I wish there was an option to caption dialog only and not describe all the other sound effects. In my opinion It would reduce screen clutter.

This issue seems to be resolved as of today. I always leave the living room TV on CC1 and usually watch TCM HD in the background and starting with Rio Bravo this afternoon normal captions have returned. But last time this happened it lasted for 3 days and went back to being broken again so who knows...

Well, the captioning issue is back again as of today. Last thing I watched that had CC1 captions was Around the World in 80 Days. And, same as last time, if you change to CC0 the captions are there.

For whatever reason they were gone for a day and are now back with the broadcast of The Crash this morning. CC0 works on my James Bond recordings from yesterday but the last caption lingers on the screen until something else replaces it.

I don't like to use CC0, it makes the font big and puts a lot of extra space around the text on some channels.

And the point I was trying to make was that CC1 (default) stopped working on TCM HD...again...for a day for whatever reason.

CC1 has stopped working on TCM HD once again on Saturday. Last thing I watched where they were working was Mogambo. Still not working as of this posting.

CC1 has stopped working on TCM HD once again on Saturday. Last thing I watched where they were working was Mogambo. Still not working as of this posting.

Hi, DJ Lon! I understand CC0 is not your favorite due to the spacing and font. As a suggestion, have you tried to toggle between CC0 and CC1 to check if that makes any difference? We have not received any new updates on this, but we will report this as an issue again on CC1 to our engineering team. CC0 should still be providing the CC. -Christina W.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have you tried calling dish?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Yes--I do have a contact because this has been going on and on for months and months. But they don't work on the weekends so all I can do is leave a message. I guess by posting I'm trying to confirm others are dealing with this and also hoping Dish Support can give a heads-up to engineering. As of right now CC1 is back again. It's just incredibly frustrating when the channel I watch the most has this issue and no other channels I watch on Dish are affected this way.

God help me if AT&T gets into a dispute with Dish over Turner channels :eeek

Hi, DJ Lon! I understand CC0 is not your favorite due to the spacing and font. As a suggestion, have you tried to toggle between CC0 and CC1 to check if that makes any difference? We have not received any new updates on this, but we will report this as an issue again on CC1 to our engineering team. CC0 should still be providing the CC. -Christina W.
Yes, CC0 does work but it's frustrating to constantly change it back to CC1 to watch other channels; there's a reason CC1 is called "default" LOL And thanks for reporting to engineering, as of right now I'm watching The Philadelphia Story and CC1 is working once again.

Hallelujah! I don't know who is responsible but after months and months and months without closed captioning on C1, starting with Broadway Melody of 1936, they have returned today.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix as opposed to "just change your settings to C0".

Reactions: Tampa8
My CC is not working on TCM. I had it set on 0 for many months but for the past week, it’s been showing nothing but gobbly gook. Most of the time, nothing shows, but every once in a while it pops up and shows nonsense. Dokicne #%@/ojkwo that kind of stuff. I think I have a bad Hopper3.