I've lost signal and I need some help!

eddiegreysherman

Original poster
May 9, 2004
Ok,

A couple of weeks ago I started experiencing problems with 119. I would get errors on a bunch of channels, and then a few days later I completely lost those channels. I ran a switch test and it showed that I was getting no signal on 119, 110 was showing to do fine. I am assuming my problem is green trees because I am close to a few large trees and during the winter my signal was fine. I moved my dish to my roof in hopes of getting a better signal up there because it was on my porch. On 119 on the signal meter I get WRONG SAT - ECHOSTAR 110 not locked or whatever. I had disconnected one reviever and hooked in 1 cable to the 119 side of the LNB and ran that to the other reciever (for signal test). SO...I figured my problem was still the trees and my neighbor has her dish on a pole behind her house getting perfect signal so I am now down beside of her dish hooking up. I had problems earlier getting things going and it got dark so I didn't get to finalize the project.

Here are my questions:

I am having to run about 150 feet of cable to this new location, will that be OK without a booster?

Should I find 119 first or should I try for 110?

Does it matter what transponder I use?

Do you guys have any suggestions for seeing if it is my LNB that is bad?

Here are the answers:

Only if it's DishPro equipment.

Yes.

Nothing easy - unless you've got the tools.

As for worrying about trees and such. Check your azimuth and elevation then eyeball it. Remember, these dishes are offset - the satellite is actually higher in the sky than where you "point" the dish. Think mirror or billard cushion for the angle.

Oh yeah - you probably wanted to know which transponder to use :) try 11.

Thanks for your help guys.

I might go down there in a little while and wrestle the bugs because the pole I installed it on has a big light at the top! hahaha

Ok... I got my TV back up and running. I tuned it into 119 on transponder 11 with about a 115 signal strength. did a switch check and 110 followed. Now I have to decide whether to bury the cable across the yard or just go up the pole about 5 feet and stretch it through the air to my house. What do you guys recommend on long cable runs like that?

I've also seen cables through the are with a loop and what looks to be a grounding block connecting to another cable. Whats the story with that?

eddiegreysherman said:
I've also seen cables through the are with a loop and what looks to be a grounding block connecting to another cable. Whats the story with that?
Unh. Guy - I think you need to read up on how to install systems, and that's beyond the scope here - might not even be allowed due to liability concerns - I know I'm not going there.

You can't bury regular RG-6. Proper grounding is absolutely critical for the safety of your house, equipment, and yourself.

SimpleSimon said:
Unh. Guy - I think you need to read up on how to install systems, and that's beyond the scope here - might not even be allowed due to liability concerns - I know I'm not going there.

You can't bury regular RG-6. Proper grounding is absolutely critical for the safety of your house, equipment, and yourself.

I probably should read up, but the thing is, I don't install em... I watch em. I've heard of that loop being called a rain loop and I will be grounding my dish out because the pole I have it installed on has a ground wire going down the pole right beside my dish. I was asking about the rain loop to see what the proper way of making one is. I've decided against burying the cable because it will take too long and I'll need more cable.

eddiegreysherman said:
Ok... I got my TV back up and running. I tuned it into 119 on transponder 11 with about a 115 signal strength. did a switch check and 110 followed. Now I have to decide whether to bury the cable across the yard or just go up the pole about 5 feet and stretch it through the air to my house. What do you guys recommend on long cable runs like that?
If it were me, I would run it underground but through solid plastic (PVC) pipe to protect it from the elements, rodents, and inadvertant shovels. Seal the pipe at both ends to keep water out.
If running through the air, I would expect that it would stretch in time and probably should be supported buy a strong wire of some sort.
Drip loops should be used wherever the RG6 enters the house and to prevent moisture from getting into any connections. (but you probably knew that already)

I SAY AGAIN.

Proper grounding is critical. Besides doing satellite installs, I'm also a firefighter.

I've seen what happens when lightning comes through the cable.

Grounding at the far end is NOT correct. It MUST be grounded at the house, and if you ground both ends, you're likely to end up with a ground loop that will cause interference on the feed - and at these distances, it could be trouble.

What's a ground loop? Well, without getting too deep, just be aware that 'ground' is NOT the same electrical potential at the 2 ends of the cable.

I'm happy to help people get their systems running - look at my other posts. But in this case, I think you're in over your head, and need some on-site help from someone that really does have a handle on it. If you watch them and ask appropriate questions, you'll probably be able to handle future situations yourself, but I really think you need to get a decent foundation in place.

Not to hijack, but I have a question that relates to the discussion. SimpleSimon (or anyone else who might know) does the actual dish need to be grounded - I mean, like with its own dedicated grounding wire? When my system was installed, they used a grounding wire at the switch - which is real close to point of entry, but didn't use a grounding wire from the dish to switch or from the dish to a ground. I asked about it at the time and they said the coax from the LNBF to the switch would serve as a ground for the dish. I thought maybe they should have a wire connecting to some part of the dish (like the arm?) that would also go to the ground on the switch, but they said no. Were they right? Thanks a lot.

The LNBF itself is not electrically connected to the dish itself.

I've never deliberately done it, but I suppose you could ground the dish/mounting arm. A ground-mount pole effectively does the same thing.

Because the two pieces (LNBF & dish) are effectively separate 'circuits', there shouldn't be any ground loop issues.

The cable grounding is mostly to minimize static build-up, and also 'encourage' lightning to not follow the cable into the house. No way a little 12gauge wire is gonna carry the lightning current- it at best will just help 'aim' it into the ground.