I've made a huge mistake (missing part, need to buy a whole new dish?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
We moved from Idaho to Minnesota, and I disassembled the dish so it would fit in the moving cube. I also had extra parts that I never used (the roof/wall mount stuff... I planted a pole) that came along. When we moved again from our temporary apartment to the house we just bought I looked at that bag of hardware and decided to toss it.

Oops.

I have the dish, I have the arm/lnb/elevation bit. What I don't have is the bracket that connects the arm to the dish. (labeled as part #16 on this diagram: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/wpe7.jpg ). I probably don't have the nuts and bolts I need either, but those I should be able to pick up at the hardware store.

So, can I replace the brackets that connect the arm to the dish with something? My big concern with going down to the ace and mickey mousing something together is that I wouldn't end up with the lnb precisely where it needs to be. Can I buy the right part separately? Does someone have one in a pile they want to sell me on the cheap? OR... do I just need to buy a new dish?

Or since the only programming I use the dish for is on Fox College Sports this year, should I just call up charter and order digital cable? :(

crud.

are you missing both of them or just one?

If its one, you might be able to fabricate something from ace hardware....heck maybe even a piece of wood would work

if its both then we have some issues

it's both.

Sadoun has the dish for fifty bucks, so this wouldnt be the most costly mistake I've ever made but still. ARGHKAsdgkhasdjgjkasdla'sdgbhs ab jgh kl!

KISS:

Call . up . Sadoun !

Talk directly to Mr Sadoun and plead your case.
See if he can come up with something to bail you out.
No promises, but that's where I'd start! - :up

You can go to Home Depot and buy some slotted strap, bend and hope for the best. The proper angle would be hit or miss.

Attachments

• slotted.jpg
    slotted.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 165
shoot

also sadoun has a winegard dish for $35
WS7630 30" Satellite Dish Offset Dish

And I dont have a 80cm dish to tell you how far those brackets stick out. If I remember, I think they stuck out about 2 inches in the middle from the dish. You might be able to fabricate something

actually, looking at the diagram again, there is no angle. So it would be a focus point issue. Probably pretty easy for a $5 investment.

.....or wood like the iceberg suggested

So I'm correct in my assumption that if the arm isn't lined up like it would be with the bracket that the lnb will be in the wrong spot and it won't work?

If so, trying to fabricate something sounds like more than fifty bucks worth of frustration

The holes on the dish arm match up with the holes on the back of the dish. The bracket that you're missing hold the two pieces together

If the arm isnt lined up right, the signal will be hindered a little bit

Iceberg, you're exactly right. I'll be able to line up the the updown/leftright no problem, it's just the distance between the dish and the arm that I don't know for sure. Let's say I do hack something together (wood or something) and I'm off in my guess. How much of a little bit would my signal be hindered?

Which I guess leads me to another question... is there an easy way to determine where the focus point of a dish is?

We moved from Idaho to Minnesota, and I disassembled the dish so it would fit in the moving cube. I also had extra parts that I never used (the roof/wall mount stuff... I planted a pole) that came along. When we moved again from our temporary apartment to the house we just bought I looked at that bag of hardware and decided to toss it.

Oops.

I have the dish, I have the arm/lnb/elevation bit. What I don't have is the bracket that connects the arm to the dish. (labeled as part #16 on this diagram: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/wpe7.jpg ). I probably don't have the nuts and bolts I need either, but those I should be able to pick up at the hardware store.

So, can I replace the brackets that connect the arm to the dish with something? My big concern with going down to the ace and mickey mousing something together is that I wouldn't end up with the lnb precisely where it needs to be. Can I buy the right part separately? Does someone have one in a pile they want to sell me on the cheap? OR... do I just need to buy a new dish?

Or since the only programming I use the dish for is on Fox College Sports this year, should I just call up charter and order digital cable? :(

crud.

Yes, moving has its disadvantages sometimes. :D

PM me your name and address and a list of the missing parts. I will put the missing parts in the mail for you (FREE of charge).

Yes, moving has its disadvantages sometimes. :D

PM me your name and address and a list of the missing parts. I will put the missing parts in the mail for you (FREE of charge).

thats cool :)

Thanks Sadoun. Thats why our sponsers rule :)

Iceberg, you're exactly right. I'll be able to line up the the updown/leftright no problem, it's just the distance between the dish and the arm that I don't know for sure. Let's say I do hack something together (wood or something) and I'm off in my guess. How much of a little bit would my signal be hindered

the point might be moot now with Sadoun sending the brackets but if the piece of wood is too thick then you can just push the LNB in or out to compensate

Hey Sadoun dude a little help here! My dog ate my MC-1 FTA-Motorized CKU Choice Set. :(

Aha! My wife found the parts. I had smartly put the ones I needed in a different bag than the parts I didn't need. The bag was at the bottom of a box of kitchen stuff she was putting away.

Phew, hockey tonight!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)