Jadeworld (TVB) on Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Need

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Anyone knows if the Chinese channels Jadeworld from Hong Kong is on Dish Network? I have to subscribe to DirecTV to get it, but the other day I saw a big ad on the local newspaper (in Los Angeles) saying that it came with Dish Network. I couldn't find it on Dish website. Anyone knows if this is something new? Thanks!

Anyone knows if the Chinese channels Jadeworld from Hong Kong is on Dish Network? I have to subscribe to DirecTV to get it, but the other day I saw a big ad on the local newspaper (in Los Angeles) saying that it came with Dish Network. I couldn't find it on Dish website. Anyone knows if this is something new? Thanks!

That advertisement was probably worded to mislead. I'd love to see a scan of the advertisement. ETTV, a big Taiwanese bouquet, is available not only on DISH but also on cable systems in California. We see lots of local commercials targetted there.

DirecTV bought exclusive rights to Jadeworld, unfortunately.
It's horribly expensive, too.
You get so much more with DISH Network for the same money, but for some people, if it's not Jadeworld, then they don't want it.

Jade is making bigger expansion every year on cable tv, sat dish.

ETTV is not expensive. Get out below what someone is paying for.

Some Hong Kong family feeling so much pride for China is paying $36.99 for JadeWorld just for 1 CHANNEL, CCTV-4. Wonder is that EXPENSIVE?? They speak Cantonese, but watch Mandarin 24-7 feeling they are a part of China. Everytime I visit their family and they ask me to change channels, I check out Jade. Within a few minutes, it is switch back to CCTV-4. They even show off how wonderful is CCTV-4 making postive comments and bashing Jade Channel programming. Even the travel and shows and DAILY NEWS, they talk negative. They also wish their kids will find a wife from China, one day,which they already did. One in-law immigrated to USA and one is an illegal alien without a green-card.

Just get Phoenix channel for $10 including CCTV, Phoenix, ATV!!!

Well, my parents only watched TVB channels. We don't live near Chinese communities, so our cable company doesn't carry Jadeworld. I have Dish for everything else and DirecTV only for Jadeworld. I think it was like $36.xx a month. The AD I saw was for $29.95 a month with Jadeworld TVB USA 5 channels (same as the DTV one) on Dish Network.

I don't care if Dish charges the same as DTV, if Jadeworld is on Dish I will get rid of that stupid DirecTV DVR. It was horrible (both software and hardware) compared to the 622.

I don't have the Ad so I can't scan it. Saw it at a doctor's office.

Too bad we can't see an image of that advertisement. It was probably a mistake.
I know that I confused TVS with TVB one time and I saw a channel logo that sorta looks like the Jadeworld TVB logo does on my Chinese channels.
And I don't think Jadeworld is available on any cable system--would like to see some references to back up that claim.
This web site shows you what is actually available:

DISH Network -- International

JadeWorld is for customers living in a city without any Asian programming. TVB is avaliable on cable tv in selected cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. It cost way cheaper. JadeWorld just repeat the shows to expand the 24 hour. The cable version contain less repeat and the same program on JadeWorld. The cable version cost $12-15 a month.

Well, my parents only watched TVB channels. We don't live near Chinese communities, so our cable company doesn't carry Jadeworld. I have Dish for everything else and DirecTV only for Jadeworld. I think it was like $36.xx a month. The AD I saw was for $29.95 a month with Jadeworld TVB USA 5 channels (same as the DTV one) on Dish Network.

I don't care if Dish charges the same as DTV, if Jadeworld is on Dish I will get rid of that stupid DirecTV DVR. It was horrible (both software and hardware) compared to the 622.

I don't have the Ad so I can't scan it. Saw it at a doctor's office.

Is it possible to have Dish and Direct at the same time?

You certainly can have Dish Network and DirecTV at the same time, as long as you are willing to pay both, and have two separate set top boxes, one for each service.

why not try expressvu/starchoice?

With the Canadian systems, they do carry Fairchild TV which contains very similar TVB programs like jadeworld. Fairchild TV only costs $15 CAD compared to $36.99 Jadeworld. Expressvu is echostar 's cousin if u will. They share the same technology (interchangeable).

Check it out for yourself at ·s®É¥N¹qµø Fairchild TV & Television- bell.ca Directv is simply jacking up the price with jadeworld viewers. :eureka;)

JadeWorld is for customers living in a city without any Asian programming. TVB is avaliable on cable tv in selected cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. It cost way cheaper. JadeWorld just repeat the shows to expand the 24 hour. The cable version contain less repeat and the same program on JadeWorld. The cable version cost $12-15 a month.

Oh that's really neat.
I wish we could get that service via satellite. It's probably not available though.

Is it possible to have Dish and Direct at the same time?

Yes. I got both, but I want to get rid of the DirecTV box. I have the original DVR by DirecTV and it is leagues behind the Dish DVR.

I am also checking out some IPTV option. Anyone got any experience with gektv.com?

Yes. I got both, but I want to get rid of the DirecTV box. I have the original DVR by DirecTV and it is leagues behind the Dish DVR.

I am also checking out some IPTV option. Anyone got any experience with gektv.com?

May I ask, how much are u currently paying for Direct TV and Dish Network and what package did you select for Dish?

Is the picture quality still good on Direct and Dish?

Bell expressvu anyone?

With bell expressvu, i'm paying $40 CAD/ month. $25 English programming & $15 fairchild tv. I simply have more bang for da buck. Jadeworld will never be on DISH unless their contract ends with directv. Visit fairchildtv.com and kusat.com for more info.

May I ask, how much are u currently paying for Direct TV and Dish Network and what package did you select for Dish?

Is the picture quality still good on Direct and Dish?

I only have Jadeworld package on DirecTV. It is about $36.xx a month for 5 channels. For Dish, I have the America Top 200 with HD package. It is about $8x.xx a month. I have 3 dishes on the roof. Two for Dish and one for DirecTV. PQ for SD programs are about the same for both. I don't have DirecTV HD so I can't compare HD programming.

With bell expressvu, i'm paying $40 CAD/ month. $25 English programming & $15 fairchild tv. I simply have more bang for da buck. Jadeworld will never be on DISH unless their contract ends with directv. Visit fairchildtv.com and kusat.com for more info.

Not really? They can be on both Direct and Dish. Phoenix TV, CCTV-4 is currently on Direct TV and Dish Network except Dish does not have ATV and Dish charges more for Phoenix and CCTV-4. $25 vs $15.99/$19.99 with TVB Mandarin. Adding JadeWorld on Dish will increase the choices.

How much does Talent TV, the Mandarin channel cost in Canada? Cheaper than Fairchild or more.

I only have Jadeworld package on DirecTV. It is about $36.xx a month for 5 channels. For Dish, I have the America Top 200 with HD package. It is about $8x.xx a month. I have 3 dishes on the roof. Two for Dish and one for DirecTV. PQ for SD programs are about the same for both. I don't have DirecTV HD so I can't compare HD programming.

Wow! That is a lot. If I get cable TV with Jade channel on cable (if avaliable), then it will cost $65-70 without any HD or $35 with locals and Jade.

Several of my relatives in New York City had 36" Ku-band dishes and branded receivers (not generic ones) to receive Jadeworld programming up to the late 1990s.
DirecTV bought out all those Jadeworld customers and converted them to DirecTV systems with Phase-2 dishes.
New customers of course get Phase-3 dishes or Ka/Ku if they want HD.
I don't know the terms of the contract that DirecTV has with Jadeworld but you can find more about it in DirecTV Group's financials.

The old Ku-band Jadeworld service was at least as expensive as DirecTV's new package.

On a side note, you don't need WorldDirect for Jadeworld but you can see WorldDirect dishes all over NYC. It's rare to see a SuperDISH in NYC for some reason--looking in any direction you see hundreds of dishes of all kinds but few, if any, SuperDISHes.
Jadeworld is entrenched in the NYC Chinese viewing market.

Several of my relatives in New York City had 36" Ku-band dishes and branded receivers (not generic ones) to receive Jadeworld programming up to the late 1990s.
DirecTV bought out all those Jadeworld customers and converted them to DirecTV systems with Phase-2 dishes.
New customers of course get Phase-3 dishes or Ka/Ku if they want HD.
I don't know the terms of the contract that DirecTV has with Jadeworld but you can find more about it in DirecTV Group's financials.

The old Ku-band Jadeworld service was at least as expensive as DirecTV's new package.

On a side note, you don't need WorldDirect for Jadeworld but you can see WorldDirect dishes all over NYC. It's rare to see a SuperDISH in NYC for some reason--looking in any direction you see hundreds of dishes of all kinds but few, if any, SuperDISHes.
Jadeworld is entrenched in the NYC Chinese viewing market.

That was 1994-2000 something. Those satalite dish only allow you to watch Jade and nothing else. I know someone showing off those satalite dish back in the 90s. They claim those dish get the new new series from HK and it was a BIG LIE, the same old shows from one year ago.

Do you remember how much TVB charge at the time? I guess, $29.99 for two channels, East and West.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)