This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Janeil Darkstar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AngelofDeth

Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Hello. I have an old Janeil Darkstar 10' dish, and the motor is no longer working properly. When it was in service several years ago, I accidentaily cross a couple of wires while the dish was moving. Now, or at least last time I tried, when I try to move the dish, it moves for a second, then I get a dish error from the receiver. I guess perhaps a sensor may have been damaged. Im just wondering if its possible this can be repaired, as its mount is not typical as its a H-H mount, with a half-circle gear drive, and I wouldn't want to try replacing the whole thing, as the dish isnt that great anyway, but would like to salvage it without too much work...

Thats what I thought, but arn't there different types of reed sensors? Janeil is long since bankrupt, I don't know if I have the original because I disconnected the sensor and tried one from an alarm system....

Just a thought - if its 'been years' since it was in use, then years since you crossed the wires - does the unit still appear to be water tight? If it is rusty, you may just need to squirt some liquid wrench down the armature. I squeezed another year out of a rusted actuator that way, while saving up for a SuperJack 24".

kulakovich

No, rust has never been a problem, though its been awhile since i've looked. The dish isn't at my place currently. The problem is the receiver is not getting a pulse count from the motor.

The only way to find out is to open the cover on the Horizon-Horizon motor and see what kind of sensor it has. Some H-H motors used a standard reed sensor, while others used an optical sensor and some used a potentiometer. The optical and potentiometer sensor almost always had the 5 volt wire connected from the receiver. Once you ID the sensor, a replacement can be found.

Problem with motor /sensor

Do you have a volt ohm meter? Is there 36 volt at the main, 5 volt at the secondary? It is possible there is a burnt out a fuse/voltage regulator in the receiver...

KLW

I'm pretty sure I tried two receivers when it happened, so that isn't the issue. Next time I have a chance, I will take a look at the dish/motor and see if I can get the sensor, and maybe someone here can tell me what it is or what I might be able to replace it with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.