Jeff Gordon Announces 2015 to be last year as full time driver

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Jeff Gordon: 2015 will be my final year competing for a championship

http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...be-my-final-year-competing-for-a-championship

The Associated Press reports Gordon will retire as a full-time driver after the season. Gordon said he is not officially calling his announcement a retirement because there is "always the possibility I'll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that."

The 43-year-old Gordon has 92 career wins, which includes four victories in 2014. He won the Cup Series Rookie of the Year in 1993.

Saw this on twitter earlier. Most likely Chase will get his car.

Does he have some type of injury that is making him retire early?

from the teleconference

Q. I'm curious. You didn't use the word retirement in your statement. With the way NASCAR's rules are as far as ownership and driving, it looks pretty difficult to see you in a car after next year if it's not -- unless something were to happen to a Hendrick driver or something like that. Can you just not mentally use that word or do you really think there is a chance you could be in a Cup car at some point after 2015?
JEFF GORDON: Well, the way I see myself in the world is that retirement means you go off to a beach somewhere and sit in a rocking chair on the front porch and drink your coffee and pet your dog. That's not me. I plan on working. I'm going to be working -- I'm actually going to have to get a real job now. So when I think of retirement, I just don't think that that's what I'm doing. I want to leave myself open, as well, to be able to get in a car. It doesn't have to be a Cup car. It could be an [XFINITY] car. It could be a truck. It could be a prototype for Le Mans or the Rolex. It might not be any of those things. Heck, I was just out in the desert driving buggies and I maybe want to do the Baja 1000. I don't plan on doing any racing, but I know I'm not going to be retiring because I have a lot on my plate already that we have plans for, and we'll be talking about in the future. And I'm excited about that. I really am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)