Jim Leyritz acquitted in Florida

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A jury in Florida on Saturday acquitted former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz of DUI manslaughter in a 2007 crash that killed a mother of two.

However, Leyritz was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail. Leyritz had faced up to 15 years in prison if convicted on the manslaughter charge.

Testimony was inconclusive on whether Leyritz ran a red light on Dec. 28, 2007, when he collided with a vehicle driven by 30-year-old Fredia Ann Veitch, who died.
<more>

You're drunk while driving (illegal), you hit a car and kill a person (automatic manslaughter when driving drunk), they find enough evidence to convict you of drunk driving, and yet somehow you are not at fault for the death?

You're drunk while driving (illegal), you hit a car and kill a person (automatic manslaughter when driving drunk), they find enough evidence to convict you of drunk driving, and yet somehow you are not at fault for the death?

And yet ANOTHER celebrity athlete gets off easy after killing someone! Amazing....:what:no!protest

The civil suit will get him though, but that still isn't enough for me. He should be in jail for years.

The civil suit will get him though, but that still isn't enough for me. He should be in jail for years.

You and me both. That child will never know her mother for his blatantly careless regard for life.

From my Vibrant using Tapatalk.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an all around tragedy which will not be served by burdening the taxpayers with 15 years of upkeep. When you read the facts, its clear nobody in the deal comes off clean, except the dead girl.

95% of DUI arrests are people below 0.15. 95% of DUI deaths are people about 0.25%. Sadly, like the speeding ticket random tax, much of this is about MONEY and POWER.

Question authority.

I don't pretend to know all of the facts, like all of us here, but from what I have heard and read, the woman was also drunk, and it was likely her that ran the red light, not Leyritz.

I don't pretend to know all of the facts, like all of us here, but from what I have heard and read, the woman was also drunk, and it was likely her that ran the red light, not Leyritz.

You cannot player likely in the court of law. The burder of proof was on the states attorney....and like a good public defender.....he was able to place reasonable doubt when the witnesses went from for sure stating they saw Leyritz take a red light....to not 100% sure.

Whether she was drunk or not....you cannot assume she was or was not going to hit someone or take the red light. From what I have read, there were witnesses that stated she did.

Chaulk it up to good lawyering and another professional athlete getting away with murder.

From my Vibrant using Tapatalk.....

I did not know that.

What the heck, two drunk drivers ran into each other?

Sandra

WOW....can't get any luckier than Jimmy Boy...

December 2, 2010, 6:05 PM ET

Jim Leyritz gets probation

Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Former New York Yankees World Series hero Jim Leyritz was sentenced Thursday to one year's probation and fined $500 for a drunken driving conviction, a far lesser penalty than he had faced before a jury decided he wasn't responsible for a woman's death in a 2007 traffic crash.

Circuit Judge Marc Gold imposed the sentence for the misdemeanor on the 47-year-old former ballplayer, who was acquitted last month of DUI manslaughter in the death of 30-year-old Fredia Ann Veitch. Leyritz could have gotten up to 15 years if convicted of manslaughter, but he said Thursday it was no victory.

"I said it from the very beginning, there would be no winners in this case," Leyritz said in a tearful statement to the judge. "This was a horrible, horrible tragedy."

Leyritz could have gotten up to six months in jail for the DUI, but his attorney David Bogenschutz said that was far too severe for a first offense DUI.

Jim Leyritz gets probation, $500 fine in DUI case - ESPN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts