Joe Nuxhall has passed.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I have just heard that one of my favorite announcers whenI was a kid, passed away.
Joe was a classy and fun guy to listen to daily,
I use to listen to Reds games on the transistor with Joe and Marty Brennaman from NW Ohio, back in the day,if you were positioned just right you could hear them calling the game from WLW -700 out of Cincy.

Them and Ernie Harwell game me plenty of baseball to listen to when I was young.

Jimbo

I have just heard that one of my favorite announcers whenI was a kid, passed away.
Joe was a classy and fun guy to listen to daily,
I use to listen to Reds games on the transistor with Joe and Marty Brennaman from NW Ohio, back in the day,if you were positioned just right you could hear them calling the game from WLW -700 out of Cincy.

Them and Ernie Harwell game me plenty of baseball to listen to when I was young.

Jimbo

WOW.....

I don't know what to say. I have listened to him all my life.

this saddens me deeply. he was a great red on and off the field. probably one of the classiest guys in baseball. the community will miss him. :(

I just heard that he actually pitched in the majors at age 15. I am impressed.

I just heard that he actually pitched in the majors at age 15. I am impressed.

Yes, he was the youngest person to ever play in the Majors and will always have that record since you have to be 16 now.

being the old fart here, i saw joe pitch numerous times when i lived in cincy over 50 years ago. yes, he actually pitched one game in the majors before they learned he was only 15. but, i believe he resigned with the reds when he was 17.

i think its past time he received the ford frick award and is enshrined in cooperstown!

being the old fart here, i saw joe pitch numerous times when i lived in cincy over 50 years ago. yes, he actually pitched one game in the majors before they learned he was only 15. but, i believe he resigned with the reds when he was 17.

i think its past time he received the ford frick award and is enshrined in cooperstown!

AMEN! to that. He should have gotten it this past year.

you know if marty is in, joe should be in. those two were cincinnati reds baseball for so long! i know marty is still broadcasting, sometimes with his son, thom. but it isn't the same as marty and joe.

of course, when i use to listen to reds baseball in the late 50's, the play-by-play guy was waite hoyt. dang, i'm getting old.

I was born and raised in Ohio and I remember fondly listening to Joe and Marty call the Reds games. I gave up baseball after the strike, so I haven't listened to them in quite a while, but I remember him as always a class act. I was sad to hear the news.

I thought that Joe was already in the Broadcaster's end of the Hall ???
If not, it's a terrible mistake on the voters part.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I also grew up listening to him and Marty on the radio. In Lima, WIMA (AM) re-transmitted WLW's broadcast and they were top-notch play-by-play and commentators who could describe the game well enough that you could picture it (like how radio is supposed to be ?).

They announced it on the radio this morning and I was really sad to hear. Of course I knew that Joe's been in bad shape for a while now and he's not suffering anymore. As he says himself, "This is the Ol' Lefthander, rounding third and heading for home".

Listened to WLW all day today with all of the celebrity callers today (Marty, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Sparky Anderson, etc). It was very touching. Joe is my first memory of Reds games on radio (I am 43). One of the best memories I have is game 2 of the 1990 World Series. I had just gotten married in June 1989 and had moved to Fort Walton Beach, Florida. That was the year Pete Rose went down. 1990 came along and the Reds went wire to wire. Fortunately, I could still tune in WLW at night and heard Joe's call of Joe Oliver's double to score Billy Bates a to win the game (couldn't stand listening to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver on tv, I think they still believe the A's are going to come back and win that series). It was a very exciting call. Rest in peace, Joe. We love you!

RIP Joe.

I remember listening to him and Al Michaels broadcast the Reds, and then Marty after Al went to ABC.
Joe was always a good guy and told it like it was. He will be missed.

I thought that Joe was already in the Broadcaster's end of the Hall ???
If not, it's a terrible mistake on the voters part.

Jimbo

i know he's been nominated several times but i don't believe he's in. heck, for that matter, waite hoyt should be enshrined in the broadcast end of the hall too (he's already in the players part).

the reds i remember as a kid are slowly starting to move on to their next life. i guess, with that, so does a part of my youth!............hutch, pinson, joe, johnny temple, gus bell, ed bailey, hoyt (the broadcaster).

this saddens me deeply. he was a great red on and off the field. probably one of the classiest guys in baseball. the community will miss him. :(

My wife was at a company function a few months back where Joe was scheduled to attend. I told her to bring the bobblehead of him that I got at a Reds game last year and see if he would sign it, without being obnoxious. Well, she had it sitting by her plate and Joe happened to see it before she could show him. He was so excited that she had it, signed it in bright "red" of course, and sat and talked to her for quite a while. My wife said he was one of the nicest people she has ever had the pleasure of meeting.

He was a very classy guy and will be missed. If he's not already in Cooperstown, he will be.

My wife was at a company function a few months back where Joe was scheduled to attend. I told her to bring the bobblehead of him that I got at a Reds game last year and see if he would sign it, without being obnoxious. Well, she had it sitting by her plate and Joe happened to see it before she could show him. He was so excited that she had it, signed it in bright "red" of course, and sat and talked to her for quite a while. My wife said he was one of the nicest people she has ever had the pleasure of meeting.

He was a very classy guy and will be missed. If he's not already in Cooperstown, he will be.

Thats a good story :)

I hate it when guy's go into the hall AFTER they have passed, it just makes the current world look like they really screwed up.
It's like telling the family that he was not good enough when he was around, but seeing he's gone we'll move him in .....:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts