Not open for further replies.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

"Penn State University has to become involved in a lawsuit filed by Joe Paterno's family and others against the NCAA in order for parts of it to proceed, a state judge ruled Tuesday.

The 25-page opinion by Judge John Leete delivered a mixed decision by dismissing some elements, keeping others alive and leaving the door open for an amended lawsuit to be filed.

Leete said breach of contract claims, however, cannot continue without Penn State's participation because the school is an "indispensable party," given that the lawsuit could affect the university's interests and contractual rights.

The lawsuit seeks to void a consent decree between the NCAA and Penn State over handling of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, an agreement that imposed a $60 million fine, a four-year ban on postseason play, a reduction in scholarships and other penalties.

"If the consent decree is declared void, as plaintiffs request, Penn State would lose the benefits it bargained for, including avoiding harsher sanctions and limiting further loss that could result from a prolonged investigation," Leete wrote. He added that the NCAA had indicated earlier that the football program could be shut down if the decree was invalidated.

Paterno family attorney Wick Sollers said the decision allows the critical claims in the lawsuit to go forward. The ruling will let "the bright light of legal discovery" shine on the facts and records, he said.

Full Story

The Paterno family is in no way materially involved in a consent decree between the NCAA & Penn St, as none of them are a part of either organization. The suit should be dismissed for lack of standing.

Last edited:
So lets see if I have this straight...in order for the Paterno family to fully proceed with the lawsuit to restore Joe Paterno's good name after the NCAA and University officials threw Joe under-the-bus to avoid costlier sanctions, they would need the University to enjoin the lawsuit, which then would negate their agreement with the NCAA, and tens of millions of dollars more in sanctions can be levied again Penn State in retaliation. That sound about right to me! Joe Peterno got tossed under-the-bus and the NCAA will punish Penn State further if they do the right thing and try to stand-by Paterno's family and restore Joe Paterno's good name.

Regardless, in time, I hope Joe Paterno's family wins this case on merit and has his good name restored, along with his football coaching achievements. We shall see.

Joe Paterno was an enabler of a pedophile.

His sons are entitled pricks.

I hope this lawsuit blows up in their pathetic faces.

Joe Paterno was an enabler of a pedophile.

His sons are entitled pricks.

I hope this lawsuit blows up in their pathetic faces.

Knee, meet jerk-reaction...not one shred of evidence to support that Paterno enabled his "retired" "former" coach to commit crimes. You do recall the Grand Jury failed to indict Paterno, even though the burden of proof standard for such a hearing is lower than a snake's belly. In fact, as you'll recall, Paterno ensured the incident was reported to University Police. Paterno's only crime is that he was an old man---probably somewhat senile, sickly and with only enough energy for football (why else would the University keep an 80-year old man on staff)---who didn't grasp that a grown man could possibly be sexually exploiting children. Regardless, it was the University and Administration who concealed the event, and it's the University and Administration who are most culpable, which is why they threw Paterno under the bu$. I have little doubt a younger, healthier, more vibrant Paterno would have been more proactive in this matter, but he was an old, physically impaired, man of diminished capabilities during his last decade at the University.

So knock-off your holier-than-thou, judgmental, idiot speaks. Your first sentence is false and possibly libelous. And your following sentences are simply mean-spirited and void of any relevant facts. We get it...you hate the Paterno's because you believe everything you're told to think and feel on the television. :rolleyes:

I find it very hard to believe Paterno had no idea what was going on but, I will say no one here can actually prove if he did or didn't know what was going on. Only thing I see is a lot of emotionally driven replies.

Have in mind, we could either discuss this in a civilized way or not discuss it at all. Every time one of these threads open up it's the same BS and I'm not going to deal with it as I have way better things to do. Unfortunately I can not completely ignore ANY thread even when I choose not to give any further input on the subject. I will not close a thread over one poster either so have that in mind.

There's way more tolerance on these kind of topics in the PIT area so feel free to discuss it there. Thanks guys....

Here's what I know from living in this state on and off for 30+ years.

Joe Paterno was the defacto king of Pennsylvania. If he would have went to the cops about Sandusky(which he didn't), something would of been done. He had the power to do that. Instead he passed the buck to another joker, the AD.

If he was senile, like some would like us to believe, than his son who was on the staff should have suggested he retire. But, he didn't because he would never have had a "job" without his dad.

Paterno is not the ultimate villain here, that would be Sandusky. But he the AD and the President turned a blind eye to what happened. Maybe what they did was not criminal but it sure as hell was immoral.

They were afraid that this would stain the program and as with most things the cover-up is what ultimately brought down the whole program.

Last edited:
Regardless, in time, I hope Joe Paterno's family wins this case on merit and has his good name restored, along with his football coaching achievements. We shall see.

his good name can never be restored.
the same media who said for years he should step aside he could not do the job due to his age, came at that old man like he was totally in charge there like he was a 50-60 year old.

from all i read my take was: why did not McQueary go in there and stop what was going on ?
how do you walk away from that ?

If he was senile, like some would like us to believe, than his son who was on the staff should have suggested he retire. But, he didn't because he would never have had a "job" without his dad.
And is the reason they keep filing these frivolous suits, without daddy, Jr. will never be able to get a job in college football again.

how would winning this...........
get him a job ?
Delusions, the same thing making him file this suit.
The idiot even thinks he can win the 5th congressional district (that included State College).

He's hoping that if Daddy gets cleared, he will be a golden child again. Otherwise, he's nothing.

Delusions, the same thing making him file this suit.
The idiot even thinks he can win the 5th congressional district (that included State College).

He's hoping that if Daddy gets cleared, he will be a golden child again. Otherwise, he's nothing.

looks like he moved on from any thought of getting a coaching job. and rightly so.imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)