JoeSp. Got an answer for you....

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
In the now closed Sony owes me $14,000 thread.... you mentioned that...

"Yet they sold over 240,000 of them in January with only 1 really good game and a few B games. How many XBOX360s were sold in January of 2006 when the XBOX360 didn't have any games?

Come back in March after Motorstorm hits the floor running and we will revisit those sales numbers."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/21/microsoft-january-xbox-360-sales-up-18/

This article shows that the 360 sold 294,000 360s this past month which is 18% more than January 2006. My calculator shows that as approximately 250,000 units, 10,000 more than your horse AND supply was constrained since they weren't readily in stock until March 2006 in most areas.

Now that the EBay effect is gone, it will be interesting to see the true demand over the next few months.

This article shows that the 360 sold 294,000 360s this past month which is 18% more than January 2006. My calculator shows that as approximately 250,000 units, 10,000 more than your horse AND supply was constrained since they weren't readily in stock until March 2006 in most areas.

Now that the EBay effect is gone, it will be interesting to see the true demand over the next few months.

Actually, 18% less than 294,000 is 241,000 - and the official NPD data for Jan2007 is 244,000 PS3s.

Soooo... in other words its about a wash. Why? Well, one can say MSFT would have sold more consoles if they had more manufactured - but you are also comparing a $299/$399 console to a $499/$599. So the failures on both sides cancel each other out in my opinion.

So... after 3 months of constant bantering back and forth the official winner of the Nex-Gen console war is....

Undecided.

Chris

On my Soap Box...

In my case, I own a PS3 and that's it. However, our lazy-assed kids are playing hundreds of games on multiple game consoles. I believe it is false to assume there has to be a single "victor" in the video games wars; there is plenty of money to go around. If you're buying handful of video games each year...then great, enjoy! However, if you look around your house and see 4-5 game consoles, 100+ video games, and all the accessories to play video games all-day and all-night, then you need to get your priorities in order.

Instead of people worrying about the video games wars, how about purchasing some baseball equipment, hockey gear, a football, a frisbee, an honest to goodness bike with pedals, and get you and your kids outdoors once in a while. Hell, give your kids Jarts...even giant lawn darts are healthier than placing them in front of a video game console with a bag of Cheetos and a two liter bottle of Mountain Dew. I don't know about you, but the kids I see in my neighborhood are fat & lazy...and there parent, who should know better, facilitate this sedentary lifestyle. It's a crying shame!

The Definition of Lazy: The bastard who, while at the local Wal-Mart this afternoon, placed their cart in back of my vehicle vice taking it to the cart caddy a mere 10 yards away.

BUZZZZZ.

Sorry. 250,000 with an approx. 18% INCREASE does equal 294,000.

Divide 294,000 by 1.18 to find out....

What you were showing was an 18% DECREASE from a higher number. Ah, fun with math.... An 18% decrease from a larger number will of course be bigger than an 18% increase from a smaller number....

But I digress..... My point was to disprove Joe's assertion that the PS3 had surpassed the 360's performance at a similar point in its life cycle. They not only beat it, they beat when there was a severe supply constraint still in place. Units were not readily available at retailers until March. The PS3 IS available everywhere now.

Sony's bigger problem is that people are perfectly happy sticking with the PS2 (and continue to buy it in large numbers as it costs 25-40% of what the next gen systems cost).

Microsoft didn't have a true killer app until Gears of War. 3 million copies of that title probably sold a few hundred thousand consoles by itself. We'll see if Motorstorm or any of the other exclusives can deliver the punch they are looking for....

In my case, I own a PS3 and that's it. However, our lazy-assed kids are playing hundreds of games on multiple game consoles. I believe it is false to assume there has to be a single "victor" in the video games wars; there is plenty of money to go around. If you're buying handful of video games each year...then great, enjoy! However, if you look around your house and see 4-5 game consoles, 100+ video games, and all the accessories to play video games all-day and all-night, then you need to get your priorities in order.

Instead of people worrying about the video games wars, how about purchasing some baseball equipment, hockey gear, a football, a frisbee, an honest to goodness bike with pedals, and get you and your kids outdoors once in a while. Hell, give your kids Jarts...even giant lawn darts are healthier than placing them in front of a video game console with a bag of Cheetos and a two liter bottle of Mountain Dew. I don't know about you, but the kids I see in my neighborhood are fat & lazy...and there parent, who should know better, facilitate this sedentary lifestyle. It's a crying shame!

The Definition of Lazy: The bastard who, while at the local Wal-Mart this afternoon, placed their cart in back of my vehicle vice taking it to the cart caddy a mere 10 yards away.

Now that is one of the most intelligent posts I have seen on here in a long time!!! Well stated! This could also go for some folks on here who watch a little too much TV. ;)

Yet you frequent a website that has as its' very mission the debating ad nauseum of all things TV and video games (on this subforum).

I'm just sayin'.....

"...even giant lawn darts are healthier ..."

I believe these have been outlawed. At least, the kind with points that we grew up with.

Everything that was fun when you were a kid has been outlawed. :(

Try playing cops and robbers like you did when you were a kid and you will get shot or 20 years behind bars.

Don't even get me started on cowboys and indians.....

Hey, at least we had easily faked IDs to get us into clubs before we hit 21. Kids today have to deal with digital photo IDs and DNA sticks to get in....

Well, maybe not the DNA test, but it's coming soon....

BUZZZZZ.

Sorry. 250,000 with an approx. 18% INCREASE does equal 294,000.

Divide 294,000 by 1.18 to find out....

What you were showing was an 18% DECREASE from a higher number. Ah, fun with math.... An 18% decrease from a larger number will of course be bigger than an 18% increase from a smaller number....
QUOTE]

Ah yes. read that backward.

NPD sales data for Jan 2006 for Xbox 360 = 249,000 units (the 250K number).
NPD sales data for Feb 2006 for Xbox 360 = 161,000 units

It'll be interesting to see where the PS3 comes in on this. I'm guessing less than 125,000 sold in NA for Feb.

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)