Joey 2.0 or 4K vs. C61K

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I was wondering if anyone had any experience comparing the Joey 2.0 or 4k to the Directv C61k client. The C61k seems really slow after using Tivo Minis for a couple of years, especially trick play functionality. My recollection of the original Joey was it was similarly slow.

Anyone have any observations on how much better(or worse I suppose) the newer Joeys are?

Thanks,
Ted

My only experience is with my Daughter's Hopper 3 and wireless Joey. Quite fast better than I had anticipated.

I think both are faster than the C61K. No doubt about 4k Joey, it's not quite the same as the H3 itself, but very close and worth the expense in my opinion (unless Netflix is important - currently vaporware on the 4K Joey).

I don't care about the Netflix per se. I just want something as smooth or nearly as smooth as the Tivo Mini I used to have. The C61k is very laggy to trick play inputs.

I don't care about the Netflix per se. I just want something as smooth or nearly as smooth as the Tivo Mini I used to have. The C61k is very laggy to trick play inputs.
I'm guessing the 4K joey is the closest, because having used Tivo minis for 2 years, I can tell you the C31,C41, Joey 1 and Joey2 are definitely not as smooth and quick as the Tivo minis.
Honestly I think the Hopper3 is only about as quick and smooth as those Tivo minis,
So I doubt the 4K joeys is much better than the Joey 2s

Tivo Roamio Pro with 3 Minis is still IMO the most reliable responsive and bug free whole home system I've used to date.

The H3 with Joey 2s, is acceptable don't get me wrong.
But if I could have Tivo equipment with Dish. I would.

In my experience, the Wireless Joey and Joey 2 are similar in speed, maybe a slight nod to the Wireless Joey between the two. Both are a noticeably faster with less lag than the original Joey 1 that you had. Neither are speed demons, but I personally find them usable. If you are more concerned with performance, and not concerned with Netflix, you might want to opt for the 4K Joey. I've not had one, but like JM42 posted above, most say its fairly close to the H3 performance-wise. Never had any experience with the Tivos or the C61k, though.

I'm guessing the 4K joey is the closest, because having used Tivo minis for 2 years, I can tell you the C31,C41, Joey 1 and Joey2 are definitely not as smooth and quick as the Tivo minis.
Honestly I think the Hopper3 is only about as quick and smooth as those Tivo minis,
So I doubt the 4K joeys is much better than the Joey 2s

Tivo Roamio Pro with 3 Minis is still IMO the most reliable responsive and bug free whole home system I've used to date.

The H3 with Joey 2s, is acceptable don't get me wrong.
But if I could have Tivo equipment with Dish. I would.

Yeah, the Roamio w/ Minis was great, although things have really gone downhill since Rovi bought them. Reliability of recording due to guide data flaws has really diminished. I think much of the smoothness of the Tivo Mini is simply due to MPEG2. MPEG4 just doesn't seem to handle FF/RW, etc. as well on any system. Thanks for the feedback.

Personally I think the C61K's are junk and unfortunately their RVU software is not much better.

My C61K keeps losing connection to the client as well as lots of black screens and audio dropouts. They have been to my house and swapped it and checked things out, it is still happening and am told I am not the only one.

The 4K Joey is the fastest receiver out there, although for your main receiver I would get the Hopper 3 which does 4K, and gives you sports bar mode and other features as well. :)

Yeah, the Roamio w/ Minis was great, although things have really gone downhill since Rovi bought them. Reliability of recording due to guide data flaws has really diminished. I think much of the smoothness of the Tivo Mini is simply due to MPEG2. MPEG4 just doesn't seem to handle FF/RW, etc. as well on any system. Thanks for the feedback.
The Hopper3 also has some recording flaws.
I've had Numerous timer glitches.
From not recording to recording 13 episodes back to back because the Guide said NEW, when in fact it wasn't.
Last I heard Rovi is also Dish Networks Guide data provider now.
So don't expect better results.

Personally I think the C61K's are junk and unfortunately their RVU software is not much better.

My C61K keeps losing connection to the client as well as lots of black screens and audio dropouts. They have been to my house and swapped it and checked things out, it is still happening and am told I am not the only one.

The 4K Joey is the fastest receiver out there, although for your main receiver I would get the Hopper 3 which does 4K, and gives you sports bar mode and other features as well. :)

Thanks, Scott. My C61K is reliable enough, but also reliably slow. I originally got it for my 4K TV, but it was unusable for our main screen, so it went to the bedroom on a 1080p set, and I have been using the Genie on the living room.

I just don't want to have to wait several seconds after fast forwarding for the client box to decide where the skip-back spot is and start playing again. Is that too much to ask for? Of course, Autohop (or Skip Mode on the Tivo) helps a lot with this as well.

From not recording to recording 13 episodes back to back because the Guide said NEW, when in fact it wasn't.

Yeah, that is giving me some pause. I should've probably paid the extra $100 for an H25 instead of the C61K, but I thought 4K capability would be preferable.

Thanks, Scott. My C61K is reliable enough, but also reliably slow. I originally got it for my 4K TV, but it was unusable for our main screen, so it went to the bedroom on a 1080p set, and I have been using the Genie on the living room.

I just don't want to have to wait several seconds after fast forwarding for the client box to decide where the skip-back spot is and start playing again. Is that too much to ask for? Of course, Autohop (or Skip Mode on the Tivo) helps a lot with this as well.
Well,
I have a Joey 2 in my living room.
And while its not snappy, its certainly usable.
So I imagine the 4K joey would be fine.

Heh. Yeah, the HR54 is just ok. I really liked my Hopper and my Roamio in comparison.
The Hopper3 and 4K joeys are about as close as your going to get if you need a Tivo fix.

I'll never go back to Directv after using Roamios and Hoppers.
The Tivos are Nice, because they supports multiple streaming services, Even my Cable company supports Hulu ,Netflix as well as VOD, and doesn't require A Tuning adapter..
Those were a big plus.
Cable is expensive though.
And Dish is Cheaper.
So here we are for now.

The Hopper3 and 4K joeys are about as close as your going to get if you need a Tivo fix.

I'll never go back to Directv after using Roamios and Hoppers.
The Tivos are Nice, because they supports multiple streaming services, Even my Cable company supports Hulu ,Netflix as well as VOD, and doesn't require A Tuning adapter..
Those were a big plus.
Cable is expensive though.
And Dish is Cheaper.
So here we are for now.

Yeah. I would never go back to cable unless they ditched tuning adapters for SDV. My Roamio was OTA only, but we ended up not paying much (or maybe any) less than Dish or DirecTV cost once you factored in Hulu, HBO Now, and buying seasons of cable shows we could not otherwise get. Dish would be a little more expensive for me, but I think the product is better than DirecTV, so you get what you pay for.

I just wish Dish would Offer YES Network even if I had to pay an RSN fee.
They offer it on Sling, but Its ridiculous that they don't have something in place for it on the Satellite service.

Even Comcast settled a deal to carry YES again.

I wonder what the cause of those issue you see and some others are since my C61K doesn't see all the problems you and others are reporting. I do agree that it's slower then the HD mini clients, but no video/audio drops or lost connections.

That's a Hopper3 problem??????

BTW, other than that temporary glitch with one of the earlier SW updates, timers and recording have been flawless on mine. Guide information flaws ae not a DVR problem.

That's a Hopper3 problem??????

BTW, other than that temporary glitch with one of the earlier SW updates, timers and recording have been flawless on mine. Guide information flaws ae not a DVR problem.
I know you love patrolling for Dish Networks police force,
But seriously man, You have the only Flawless Hopper 3 in existence.

And it is a Hopper 3 issue, since I can't use another Guide source.
It Still effects the timers and the recording process.

So enough with "Its Not Dishnetwork fault."
No one gives a crap whom fault it is, we just want it fixed.

Not reporting issues or admitting there are flaws doesn't help anyone or anything for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)