Joey 4K PIP and Netflix

RealD

Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
North Carolina
I have never started a thread before but after months of frustration and paying $100.00 for 2 4K joeys. I would like to know or if it is possible to find out how many more months we must wait for the PIP capabilities and a working Netflix app. Those are the main reasons I paid extra money to get the 4K joeys. I had a Hopper/with sling and had PIP but chose to upgrade and get 4K joeys because it stated they would support PIP. I might just be venting a little but I don't think I am the only customer who uses that feature. I didn't know I was paying for features that were not implemented in the product. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I agree, Not happy having to pay more for less features. Is it faster than the Joey 2.0 yes but not by much. I was more than willing to pay the extra money for PIP. It would be like buying a truck that advertised four wheel drive and paying extra but the feature would not be available until the manufacturer turned it on several months or years later.

I wasn't fully understanding of what the Hopper 3's capabilities and limitations were when I replaced my system with the Hopper 3 I thought I was doing it to be able to watch more than two tuners per room. Lack of tuners was one the major of the reasons for the upgrade.
Having multiple large displays I always used PIP throughout the home.
I wasn't fully understanding of what the Hopper 3's capabilities and limitations were.
I really like the new system's features compared to the old system, but this lack of multiview anywhere but on the set directly connected to the Hopper 3 itself is a step backwards, and a surprising situation I wasn't aware of when I chose the Hopper 3 system for my home.
I truly did not realize there would not be any sort PIP on any secondary TV throughout my home.
Hopefully a solvable problem.
Maybe I jumped the gun a little.
This is causing a little bit of suffering.
The many other improvements over my old setup with the Hopper 3 satisfy overall, and I am surprised by how many improvements there are. Having no multiview at any secondary location through the house is a severe limitation.
Thanks for starting this thread. I think this is important.

I too am tired of NOT getting what was promised in the Hopper 3 setup. I got the 4K Joey so I could watch 4K TV on Netflex. No go. Before I could watch two live shows at a time in any room, switch between them, back them up, and skip past commercials. I could rewind a show and record it. With the 4K Joey, when I try to rewind a show I was watching to record from beginning, or just try to record it from the beginning, I can't do it reliably.

Yes the H3 and 4KJ have a lot of nice features, but some VERY annoying ones as well - not to audio drops on OTA stations! When, oh when will this be fixed DISH?

When I got my first hopper 1 , ota was a problem as well as when I got my hopper 3. I used my older 211k with an external hard drive to record ota while I waited for DISH to fix the problems. I still have the 211k hooked up to a western arc dish and it is used to power my terk 44 clip on antenna for ota for my tv , hopper 3 , audio receiver radio. I checked back to when I last had it subscribed to DISH using the 211k diagnostics and it shows it last calling out on October 20 , 2012. So it took DISH from May of that year till around October to get the ota recordings fixed , if I am right in my estimation. So if that is right we have another 3 and a half months or so till they get it fixed. I hope it is sooner , because I haven't noticed many problems ,really with the hopper 3 ,other than the ota recordings. Watching them live is no problem and if I record from them while watching , the recordings work fine. Just the ota recordings set from the guide seem to have problems. Funny note , I see that my 211k now has ota guide information that it only had when it was subscribed. I wonder if DISH has reversed the decision to only allow guide information for subscribers and opened it up to all receivers whether they are subscribed or not?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I could rewind a show and record it. With the 4K Joey, when I try to rewind a show I was watching to record from beginning, or just try to record it from the beginning, I can't do it reliably.
This is the other issue besdes no secondary multiview I have experienced with the Hopper 3 system.
I'm not too concerned about Netflix or 4K.
Compared to the VIP receivers that I had, on VIP I could rewind any show to any point, press record, and reliably have a recording from that point, even if the next show had started. With Hopper 3 I can't do this or I haven't figured it out.
You could do this with reliably with VIP.
This ability to record from any point, even if it's the end of a program and the next program has begun, was one of the distinctions Dish had that I really liked.
Tivo could not do this.
Sometimes I realized I wanted to record something spontaneously that was being watched in the buffer.
Now with Hopper 3 I can no longer do this with Dish!

This is the other issue besdes no secondary multiview I have experienced with the Hopper 3 system.
I'm not too concerned about Netflix or 4K.
Compared to the VIP receivers that I had, on VIP I could rewind any show to any point, press record, and reliably have a recording from that point, even if the next show had started. With Hopper 3 I can't do this or I haven't figured it out.
You could do this with reliably with VIP.
This ability to record from any point, even if it's the end of a program and the next program has begun, was one of the distinctions Dish had that I really liked.
Tivo could not do this.
Sometimes I realized I wanted to record something spontaneously that was being watched in the buffer.
Now with Hopper 3 I can no longer do this with Dish!
I agree with you that the 4K Joey should be able to have that capability, but what I am more concerned with is advertising a non-working feature (PIP and Netflix). All I ever get is feature not implemented yet or feature coming soon. When I was upgrading to 4K Joey, I wasn't told buy this but some of the product features will work sometime in the future. Very disappointing.

I agree with all of this. So far my "upgrade" to H3 & 4K joey has:

1. No PIP
2. Non working Netflix
3. OTA that doesn't record sound reliably (or at least not for me).
4. Doesn't allow recording when rewinding aka a buffered show.
5. Doesn't allow watching a live show, when commercials come on, switch to another Live show, rewind watch and skip commercials until the buffer is up, switch to the other live TV show, rewind do the same. - I could do that with the old 721
6. Requires a reset of the H3 so the 4K joey becomes responsive again
7. Does have 17 tuners with OTA

Bottom line, the set up does have a lot of nice features, but there as too many other features to rate it ready for prime time. I have lost, or missed more recordings in three months with this setup then I have in 16 years with any other setup of Dish. I know they say they are working on it, but just like the ability to Manually add or remove a OTA TV station, that feature has been coming soon for years now.

I don't ever see them fixing the manual add the ota channel ever. The hopper 3 doesn't even have it listed in the menu. As for the reliability of shows, I haven't seen but one timer that it consistently missed and I deleted that timer and recreated it and now it records fine. But I will look forward to reliable ota recordings. I get audio drop outs and pixelation on recordings of ota shows from the guide. But I don't get any problems if I record the ota shows while I am watching that channel live. So we are closer to getting it fixed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't have the Hopper system partly because of posts like these, but I agree with many of you at some point DISH should make it clear (if they are not) that 4K Netflix is not available yet in advertising or at time of agreement. If the PIP in multiple locations from the Hopper is supposed to be there, or there is a bug in rewinding and recording from that spot that should be fixed by now. If those things are never going to be there that to me is somewhat of a step backwards. I totally get the frustration.

Reactions: RealD
I understand what you are saying, but IMO, the benefits of the H3 far outweigh relatively minor glitches going on.

4K Netflix works fine on the H3, but not yet on the 4K Joey. But to be honest, so what? Everything I've seen from Netflix looks just fine with upscaling to 4K. I literally have not seen a single thing on Netflix's 4K feed that looks at all better between upscaling or a 4K feed. OK, let me say it differently... :). If I crawl onto the screen I can see some difference, but from 10-11' away to a 70" I can't.

The PIP and multi-screen work just fine on the H3.

That said, some are having issues with both but it seems it is either a minority or there are fewer H3s out there than I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: tornado
Minor differences in the way recording functions over the older systems exist on Hopper 3, and there is no PIP on secondary TVs even with Joey 4K. The benefits of the Hopper 3 outweigh problems. Hopefully lack of PIP problem on secondary TVs even with Joey 4K may be resolved. I am not regretting choosing Dish’s Hopper 3 over my older system. It is superior with great features. Didn’t know what I was missing till I got Hopper 3. Hopper 3 is definitely way more advanced. We are happy.

My H3 has decided to be twitchy tonight. Going into folders takes a long time, and sometimes starting a show gives a blank screen for a bit. I'll do the 'fix' tomorrow, pulling the power, as I have some recordings going on. Seems to need a power plug reset about once a month.

Not a big deal but it never seems to do it unless a recording is going on. :(

I understand what you are saying, but IMO, the benefits of the H3 far outweigh relatively minor glitches going on.

4K Netflix works fine on the H3, but not yet on the 4K Joey. But to be honest, so what? Everything I've seen from Netflix looks just fine with upscaling to 4K. I literally have not seen a single thing on Netflix's 4K feed that looks at all better between upscaling or a 4K feed. OK, let me say it differently... :). If I crawl onto the screen I can see some difference, but from 10-11' away to a 70" I can't.

The PIP and multi-screen work just fine on the H3.

That said, some are having issues with both but it seems it is either a minority or there are fewer H3s out there than I think.

Yes, Netflix and PIP work fine on the Hopper 3 TV as advertised. The problem is 4K Joey (cost me $100.00 for 2) and it was advertised with Netflix and PIP. I am disappointed that after 6 months this still does not work. I previously had a Hopper 1 and Hopper with sling which gave me pip on 2 TVs. It almost seems like I downgraded going to Hopper 3 system. Its crazy that I am having to record 2 channels a lot of times to be able to go back and view them because PIP doesn't work. I also have to plug up chromecast to see Netflix on the 4K joey TVs also. I have had to do those things as a workaround because my 4K joeys do not do the things they are suppose to.

I understand where you're coming from. The 4K Joeys should have the features they advertised by now. According to other threads the Netflix issue is something Netflix needs to fix, but PIP is firmly within Dish's purview.

On the Hopper 3 they need to work on the oddities that exist with anything to do with recording and also to work on the overall twitchiness of the remote response. Most of the issues are relatively minimal but still irritating.

I said it before but will say it again, I doubt we will see PIP on the 4K Joey. I have seen or heard nothing about PIP on the 4K Joey since they first announced it a few years ago.

Reactions: longisland94
I paid for a 4K just so my wife would have PIP, so I might just try to get a second H3 to replace it when that becomes an option. Of course we have to deal with the famous "SOON" on that deal.
Dan

I would prefer MultiView to PIP, though I would still like to see my Joey 4Ks get PIP. It seems according to what I am reading here that since I want to get MultiView on another TV I will have to get a second Hopper 3. Will a second Hopper 3 be a separate set up, or will it become part of the existing? Will I then have 32 tuners? I really don't like that the idea of the fees that may be associated with a second Hopper 3 on my account just to get MultiView on a second TV. This is all just a thought.

On my HWS autotune would turn on the Hopper and switch the channel. On the Hopper 3, all it does is remind you that a show is going to start. Not very useful when I want the Hopper 3 to start while I'm still in bed. In another thread a user said his Hopper 3 worked like I want it to. He wouldn't elaborate when I asked him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts