Joey and two tvs

Rdeejr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Santa Fe
I have a Hopper 3 and a wired Joey. I am adding a tv to my patio and want to tie into the Joey. I know they would both be tuned into same channel.

The distance is about 20 feet away. What is the best method to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the best method to get a tv to your patio is something called a wireless joey and you won't have to run no wires it has to have an wireless access point connected to the hopper 3 to be able to do that so you will have to call dish or contact Dirt to have that setup also.

Getting a wireless Joey will be the best option but that cost money and there's a seven dollar a month fee. I am also curious how well the wireless Joey holds up to the weather on an outside patio.

If you are totally fine with just mirroring what's on the Joey then getting an HDMI splitter and running another cable is the simplest and cheapest option.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Getting a wireless Joey will be the best option but that cost money and there's a seven dollar a month fee. I am also curious how well the wireless Joey holds up to the weather on an outside patio.

If you are totally fine with just mirroring what's on the Joey then getting an HDMI splitter and running another cable is the simplest and cheapest option.

The wireless Joey suggestion was to replace the existing Joey with wireless. Then you simply move that Joey outside when you want it. There would be no extra monthly cost. Yes, changing to wireless costs money but so does any of the other suggestions, including yours. An HDMI splitter is not free nor is the the HDMI cable.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The wireless Joey suggestion was to replace the existing Joey with wireless. Then you simply move that Joey outside when you want it. There would be no extra monthly cost. Yes, changing to wireless costs money but so does any of the other suggestions, including yours. An HDMI splitter is not free nor is the the HDMI cable.

Absolutely. I guess it depends on how often you are using the outside TV. If you only want it to watch the occasional football game outside with friends then moving a wireless Joey back-and-forth might be your best bet. If you go back-and-forth between both TVs frequently then I would go with the splitter.

I had this whole debate for awhile. I was going to put a TV on my patio but did not want to pay seven dollars a month for a receiver. Ultimately, I decided not to put a TV on the patio because if the weather is nice enough to sit outside then I should enjoy the outdoors and not watch TV.

When I had HWS and Joey2,
I plugged a dish usb wifi adapter into the Joey2 and it worked as a wireless joey, a tad slower but worked reliably (unsupported by dish tech).
Would this not work with the H3?

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

I've never seen a usb wifi adapter work correctly with a Hopper 3. My best recommendation would be installing a splitter into the Client side of the Hub/Node and running a line to the newest joey location or just installing a splitter at the current joey location and running an extension coax to the patio. You will have to move the Joey back and forth but it will save you money. The second cheapest way I've done it is using a RF Modulator. This you will have to hook up the Yellow/Red/White lines to the Joey that is currently in use and running Coax to the TV and tuning to either Ch. 3 or 4. This will create a Mirrored image but might allow you to use the same Joey remote in both locations. Your best bet is using the splitter and moving the Joey back and forth when you want to use the TV but the RF Modulator is a nice alternative that is cheaper but makes a Standard Def Mirror Image that not everyone is looking for.

I use dish anywhere on my tablet. I then use a mini HDMI to HDMI cable from tablet to outside TV. I already had the tablet ,cable and internet router so no additional cost. You save the Joey wireless cost, installation cost, and the monthly fee. This also works with a laptop or Smartphone. I just had to get use to not using a Dish remote and use the tablet touch screen.

Even the roubust solution of a Slingbox costs money. He could connect a FireTV or Roku to the outside TV and have mirror that way with no wires.

I bought 25 ft of 22 Awg Hdmi cable and a powered Hdmi splitter from monoprice. Works great and 40 Uhf remote works outside.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rixos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts