Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
IN
Joey: Fantastic SD Picture

100_1013.jpg

100_1008.jpg

About seven years ago I purchased two 23” flat-panel Panasonic TC-23L50 LCD sets. They were 1080I sets but required component video (YPaPr) to show HD. These early flat panel sets were just like the old 60 inch rear projector sets that did not have HDMI connectors. Not used as major viewing sets, I feed them through a coax amplified home distribution 22 cable home system using DISH VIP622 and a modified DirecTV DRV, and received a really pretty good picture. Being only 23” sets did not hurt either.

Adding these sets to the new 2013 Hopper w/Sling and using Joeys that does not support component video (YPaPr) did not expect much of any improvement in SD picture quality. If the picture quality was really poor I thought I could always purchase new sets with HDMI for around $300 instead of the $1,300 paid for each of these sets originally!

Why would I expect much using coax and year’s old designed RCA red/yellow/white video cables? Boy was I wrong! Fantastic SD picture that looks as if they are HD. Did not expect that and if others are concerned that using a Joey on an older set would not suffice, think again!

Glad to hear it! My largest TV is a 42" 720P set, which we watch from about 10' away. At that range, 720 lines cannot be seen, and 1080p is a waste. Upscaled DVDs look pretty darn good too, and as you know DVDs are SD. That set does have a Faroudja scaler...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)