Joey Optional on 2nd TV's?

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I've had my 622 for over 7 years and it maybe starting to show its age.

There are only 2 of us in the house and we have several TV's in different rooms that currently get their signal via the 622's TV2 coax output. We're thinking about upgrading to the hopper and maybe 1 Joey. Do I have to have a Joey for each of the other TV's or can I still operate some of them off coax directly from the hopper itself? I've looked at the back panel of the hopper and only see 1 coax line (no TV2-like output).

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Standard set up you.need Joey's for additional TVs after the Hopper. A Hopper by itself will.not run.more than 1 TV independently.

However, there are ways to set up the system to either mirror TVs so you could do more than one TV on a Hopper or joey but every tv just views the same thing as another TV.

The video signal out of the reciever will need to be split.

If you explain your wants/needs more clearly many on here can help with explaining the set up.

Do they need independent operation?
Do they need to be HD or can they be SD?
Will moving a Joey from 1 room to another work for you?

Any TV you would want to watch independently would need a Joey. No there are no TV2 type connections, but to feed other TVs, you can get a composite/RF modulator for the Hopper or Joey, pending your wiring scheme.

Also Moderator, please move to Hopper Zone.

The Joey can be connected/moved to the tv room. Its tedious but should work. I am also thinking of upgrading my 722k to hopper and Joey. The tv2 output is currently split for 2 tv (2nd only used occasionally). So am looking to see if I can physically move the Joey between those 2 tv's.

The Joey can be connected/moved to the tv room. Its tedious but should work. I am also thinking of upgrading my 722k to hopper and Joey. The tv2 output is currently split for 2 tv (2nd only used occasionally). So am looking to see if I can physically move the Joey between those 2 tv's.

If you use a Ethernet over Powerline adapter it can be movved quite easily. The intial setup requires coax but once completed the Joey can be moved using EOP. The discussion was here http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/332038-quot-Old-Joey-quot-wireless?p=3397625#post3397625

My hope is to use the existing coax cables already installed in the house. Does the hopper support feeding TV's using coax. SD is fine on the TV's.

From the dish, the cables connect to a node. If it is a single node the Hopper is connected to the node via a coax. Each Joey is connected to the same node. If you have 2 Hoppers a dual node is used. Depending on how far apart the various tv's are, there are several options using 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. Each Joey costs $7/mo. So it's up to you how many you would want.
The Hopper has hdmi, component and composite outputs. A Joey has composite and hdmi outputs. If the tv next to the Hopper has component in's you could connect the Hopper that way and get a long hdmi cable and snake that to another hdtv. You could do something similar with a Joey, except the closest tv would only get a composite signal. With that type of set up each of you could be watching different programing. The new Super Joey has been released adding 2 more tuners to the 3 in a Hopper. I'm not sure what type of outputs it has. It costs $10/mo
Hope this helps and if I've made an errors, I'm sure someone will correct me.

My hope is to use the existing coax cables already installed in the house. Does the hopper support feeding TV's using coax. SD is fine on the TV's.

No. As said before, you can mirror to other TVs SD via coax with an RF modulator you would need to purchase. But if you want any one or more TVs to be dependent of what is being watched on the Hopper, you will need it to have a Joey(s).

Get 1 hopper, 1 Joey and an RF modulator. Put the joey and RF modulator in your central wiring closet and that should feed all the TVs with a splitter.

The tech wouldn't be responsible for the RF modulator installation so you would have to expect to take care of that part on your own.

Got it. I have an RF modulator. Do the RCA outputs on the hopper send out TV signals to the RCA and HDMI outputs simultaneously? Meaning I can use both at the same time? Is that also true for the Joey's?

Got it. I have an RF modulator. Do the RCA outputs on the hopper send out TV signals to the RCA and HDMI outputs simultaneously? Meaning I can use both at the same time? Is that also true for the Joey's?

Yup, both the Hopper and Joey output to all outputs simultaneously. The Hopper has HDMI, Composite, and Component, and the Joey has HDMI and composite.

You will also need extra remotes for each TV you want to connect through RF.

I bought extra new remotes from Ebay before the tech came out to install. After he left I pared the remotes with the Hopper and the remotes work from anywhere in the house. Works very slick. The remotes I got were like 10 a piece new. The tech said you can replaced 3 remotes a year for free. Not sure if that's correct. So if you are not in a hurry you can request them over time. Maybe you need the protection plan not clear on that. Good luck! Peace

Good point about the remotes. I forgot to ask about those. Does the Hopper/Joey use RF or UHF remotes?

You can also get HDMI spiltters and wireless HDMI etenders to get HD on 2nd TVs.

(14)Compare

IOGEAR Wireless 3D Digital Kit GW3DHDKIT

• Extender & Repeater Type: Media Transfer
  • Resolution Support: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
  • Power Supply: 100~240V AC in, 5V DC out Power Adaptor
  • Specification: Ports In: 2 x HDMI in Ports Out: -Transmitter 1 x HDMI out (loop-through local port) -Receiver 1 x HDMI output Connectors - Video Input: 2 x HDMI - Video Output: 2 x HDMI (loop-through & remote) Audio Input: 2 x HDMI Audio Output: 2 x HDMI (loop-through & remote) Cable: 2.5mm IR extender; 33KHz ~ 40KHz Video Streaming: <1ms Latency Frequency: 4.9~5.9GHz (Include non-DFS and DFS Frequency Bands) Range: 100ft. Distances may vary depending on environment Antenna Type: High Performance Internal Antennas Power Switch: Pushbutton on the unit and remote control LEDs Port ID: LED (Transmitter and Receiver) Power On LED (Transmitter and Receiver) Link: L...
  • Model #: GW3DHDKIT
  • Item #: N82E16815290029
  • Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

• from $189.99
  • $2.99 Shipping
Choose From 5 Sellers
none.gif

View Details?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)