Joey or Wireless Joey?

GuardMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2004
I am moving into a new home and will be placing a bedroom TV in a location with no coax or ethernet connection. So I was thinking to either go with a power line adapter to connect a regular Joey or get a wireless Joey. From reading here it appears that the wireless Joey is a bit bigger and requires a separately purchased base unit; so while not a deal breaker, it doesn't seem ideal either. However, I have also read read that the new Joeys are a bit faster. Ultimately, I would like whatever option that offers the best viewing experience (picture quality, least loss of signal, menu speed, etc). Any opinions/experience with using either? Thanks.

The wired Joeys have become very slow. Most reports have been the Wireless Joeys are zippier. Also, a powerline adapter would be my last preference. I'd go wireless.

The wired Joeys have become very slow. Most reports have been the Wireless Joeys are zippier. Also, a powerline adapter would be my last preference. I'd go wireless.
Thanks. Also, I understand that the wireless Joey uses its own 802.11ac network. If I already have an 802.11ac network in my home, will there be any conflicts or interference?

In theory, there should be no conflicts with it. I have seen 1 report about there being issues, but out of the many wireless Joeys out there... One report ain't bad.

Having remod on house and looking at Joey options I found this thread. I am not familiar with the wireless version, what does it do, receive dish signal wireless and wired to the tv or wired to the Joey and wireless to the tv. Anything wireless at my house is going to have to connect to my modem so I'm not understanding why there would be an interference problem.

Having remod on house and looking at Joey options I found this thread. I am not familiar with the wireless version, what does it do, receive dish signal wireless and wired to the tv or wired to the Joey and wireless to the tv. Anything wireless at my house is going to have to connect to my modem so I'm not understanding why there would be an interference problem.
A wireless Joey simply receives information from the Hopper via it's own WAP...no coax or Ethernet required. A normal home network should not interfere with that of the WJ WAP. The WAP is a $50 cost to you.

A wireless Joey simply receives information from the Hopper via it's own WAP...no coax or Ethernet required. A normal home network should not interfere with that of the WJ WAP. The WAP is a $50 cost to you.
WEll...Almost no ethernet required.... WAP still has to connect to Hopper as I understand it. But I agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts