joey pixilation when using ota on hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

voodooevil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
North Carolina, USA
hi.
i have the newer white dongle for ota on hopper 3. never any issues on hopper.
but after a day or so my joey has freezing and pixilation on all channels. it immediately goes away when i pull out dongle. can the dongle still overheat if the hopper is not being
used?
driving me nuts

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am having a similar problem, also with the white OTA. I don't think that it is overheating or drawing too much power from the H3. I think that maybe the H3 processor is spending too much time trying to decode the incoming OTA. I've never tried removing the OTA to resolve it. I have always resolved it by pressing the reset button on the H3. I have recently read that just changing to an OTA channel and waiting several seconds for it to clear up, then switching back to the sat channel will fix it. The one time that I tried this (last night) seemed to work. When I switched back to the sat channel, it did take several seconds for it to clear up completely. This seems like a software bug to me...

Reactions: voodooevil
thanks for the reply....crazy, but just trying to save $12. lol
here and there cutting unnecessary waste to adjust for offset work hours.

thanks for the reply....crazy, but just trying to save $12. lol
here and there cutting unnecessary waste to adjust for offset work hours.

I've had this problem with the wireless Joey but not Hopper. The Joey will pixelate on satellite channels while the OTA tuner is installed. I believe it is a software problem. Some earlier threads with similar symptoms suggested that tuning the Joey to an OTA channel for a minute or so would clear the pixelation. I can confirm this works. Much easier than reseting either the Joey or the Hopper.

Unfortunately this sort of problem is not easily addressed by tech support. It will occur regularly perhaps once a day but I don't know of anyway to reproduce the problem at will.

FWIW, I replaced the Dish network adapter with a crossover ethernet cable and the problem persists.

I’ve been having trouble with one local for the last 6 months. I’m not technically savvy on how they broadcast. Must be the way this one channels signal is sent out OTA. Very frustrating with the DISH adapter when my Tablo deals with it by pausing (buffering) the channel for a few seconds until the hard drive plays catch up. Then it’s fine. ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: voodooevil
so far since my post i have not seen any issues since i reinstalled the adapter and moved it to a better ventilated area....hopefully it continues....

Reactions: Bobby
what is the difference between this white one you mention and the black one I have. I have the same issue. DJ Lon and I had this discussion a few weeks ago I think mine is still doing it. I never really figured it to be the OTA adaptor It happened today when I wasn't home my Son just walked over and hit the rest button and he said it was fine.. when I look at the network stuff on the diag page I have a mot of drops on the moca for the receivers Not sure if it's all related or not. they sent me a replacement H3 about 3 weeks ago and the MOCA #'s are close to 20 on the receivers.

Reactions: blautens
As best anyone has been able to tell, the color of the dongle. And the price.
Yeah, Dish installed their black one when they put in my antenna but I had already ordered the white one from Air TV and used it with rabbit ears until then. No difference and I even swapped them out when the Joey stuff started just in case and issue remained.

Reactions: blautens
what is the difference between this white one you mention and the black one I have.
As best anyone has been able to tell, the color of the dongle. And the price.

Do we know for sure that he has the newer Lark dongle, and not the God-awful heater that came before? (I still have one of those...)

Reactions: Tampa8
I have one from directTv I got from my parent they lost their CBS station last year my father bitched and they send him a OTA antenna kit a dongle with a power incerter and a long cable and a large flat antenna to mount near a window the thing is butt ugly but it worked. I have that it doesn't need the power inserter to work I think. today first thing in the AM joey's were jacked up I turned to an OTA station waited about 30 seconds and they came back and stopped glitching with out a reset so I think your onto something but WHY? is it a software glitch in the H3 or is the dongle screwing with the internal working of the H3 and why changing it to look at an OTA channel does it clear it up? I have the official dongle I got it from solid signal it's black in color. going to try it again ehn it glitches to see if it was just a fluke or indeed it make it come back... I changed the channel on the Joey not on the H3 to make it come back.

I have a new issue with my system now since they were so generous as to give me a remanufactured and or used H3. every couple of days when I turn it on have no sound or I get a black screen and nothing happens the green light is on the H3v no picture. I really love their equipment!. Oh and my joey's glitch issue happened to me again last night i changed the channel to an OTA channel let it sit about 15 seconds on that channel and the glitching stopped! I tried another dish channel before that continued to keep flitching. didn't matter if it was a DVR changing the channel to an OTA channel stopped the glucthing so you on to something.

The black screen issue has been going on for a while now. Supposedly, "Dish is aware of the problem and is working on it". This happens with me most often when I first turn on my Hopper. Usually, if you select Info, then press the Cancel(Back) button the video returns to normal. If that doesn't work, playing with the Info, Guide, Recall, and Cancel buttons gets rid of the black screen.

I occasionally experience a black screen when I do multiple forward jumps, as in skipping 3-4 minutes of commercials on a recording. I usually have to restart the recording to recover the video and audio.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)