Joey video freezes every couple of minutes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bradtothebone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
KC Area
On the Joey we use the most (master bedroom), we are seeing a LOT of video freeze-ups that last 2-3 seconds. The audio continues during the freeze. This happens probably every 2 minutes or so. It seems to happen during fast motion, as if the MOCA transcoding can't keep up. We haven't noticed this on the other 3 Joeys we have, but we don't use them nearly as much. Anyone else seeing this?

try swapping joeys from a different room and see if the problem is specific to that box.

On the problem Joey press YELLOW - 9 - 2. In the MoCA field there should be FOUR GREEN BARS. Are they?

Also, tried rebooting the Hopper/Joey?

On the problem Joey press YELLOW - 9 - 2. In the MoCA field there should be FOUR GREEN BARS. Are they?

Also, tried rebooting the Hopper/Joey?

I have four green bars. This has been an issue since day one - through several software downloads - so I didn't try rebooting. I didn't have time last night to switch out the Joey with another one, but I'll do that before I call Dish. Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'm reasonably sure it's just a bad Joey. The only other thing I'll just mention is that the video is going to the TV over an HDMI -> DVI-D cable. Probably not relevant.

Bradtothebone said:
I have four green bars. This has been an issue since day one - through several software downloads - so I didn't try rebooting. I didn't have time last night to switch out the Joey with another one, but I'll do that before I call Dish. Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'm reasonably sure it's just a bad Joey. The only other thing I'll just mention is that the video is going to the TV over an HDMI -> DVI-D cable. Probably not relevant.

Good luck... Yeah I highly doubt that it's the DVI-D connection. HDMI is just DVI-D + audio. The only thing I would check for is HDCP.

This has been an issue since day one - The only other thing I'll just mention is that the video is going to the TV over an HDMI -> DVI-D cable

Lol, left both those relevant pieces out of the first post.. :)

The combination of it happening since day one and that you use a DVI-D cable suggests to me it isn't a bad Joey, it's the cable. As suggested a swap of Joeys should help decide.

kinda the same problem here. The Joey we use the most is on the deck, the farthest from the Hopper. A couple of times during a 2-3 hour sessin, the video/audio freezes,
but not for a few seconds...forever. No amount of button pushing brings it back except turning the Joey off/on. I have no clue if/when I got a software update, but this has
only been going on for 3-4 days, I think. We don't watch TV out there every day so not sure when it started. Another thing is trying to skip back/forward is erratic That is, it
may go back 20 secs or it may go back 1/2 an hour with one push, or to when it was turned on (or one hour). Eventually I can get to where I want to be, but it's a pain. I'm gonna change out the Joey and see what happens, as the one in the wife's craft room has never been turned on, I don't think. She retires next week, so I'm sure it will get some use soon.

Lol, left both those relevant pieces out of the first post.. :)

The combination of it happening since day one and that you use a DVI-D cable suggests to me it isn't a bad Joey, it's the cable. As suggested a swap of Joeys should help decide.

Are you suggesting that HDMI to DVI-D cables are no good? Read my previous post, theoretically it should work just fine. Now it could be a bad cable, just as HDMI cables can go bad, but just because it's an HDMI to DVI-D doesn't mean it won't work right. DVI can also support HDCP, just depends on if the TV itself also supports HDCP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Compatibility_with_DVI

Even more info:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)