Joey video freezes every couple of minutes

Bradtothebone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
KC Area
On the Joey we use the most (master bedroom), we are seeing a LOT of video freeze-ups that last 2-3 seconds. The audio continues during the freeze. This happens probably every 2 minutes or so. It seems to happen during fast motion, as if the MOCA transcoding can't keep up. We haven't noticed this on the other 3 Joeys we have, but we don't use them nearly as much. Anyone else seeing this?

try swapping joeys from a different room and see if the problem is specific to that box.

On the problem Joey press YELLOW - 9 - 2. In the MoCA field there should be FOUR GREEN BARS. Are they?

Also, tried rebooting the Hopper/Joey?

On the problem Joey press YELLOW - 9 - 2. In the MoCA field there should be FOUR GREEN BARS. Are they?

Also, tried rebooting the Hopper/Joey?

I have four green bars. This has been an issue since day one - through several software downloads - so I didn't try rebooting. I didn't have time last night to switch out the Joey with another one, but I'll do that before I call Dish. Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'm reasonably sure it's just a bad Joey. The only other thing I'll just mention is that the video is going to the TV over an HDMI -> DVI-D cable. Probably not relevant.

Bradtothebone said:
I have four green bars. This has been an issue since day one - through several software downloads - so I didn't try rebooting. I didn't have time last night to switch out the Joey with another one, but I'll do that before I call Dish. Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'm reasonably sure it's just a bad Joey. The only other thing I'll just mention is that the video is going to the TV over an HDMI -> DVI-D cable. Probably not relevant.

Good luck... Yeah I highly doubt that it's the DVI-D connection. HDMI is just DVI-D + audio. The only thing I would check for is HDCP.

This has been an issue since day one - The only other thing I'll just mention is that the video is going to the TV over an HDMI -> DVI-D cable

Lol, left both those relevant pieces out of the first post.. :)

The combination of it happening since day one and that you use a DVI-D cable suggests to me it isn't a bad Joey, it's the cable. As suggested a swap of Joeys should help decide.

kinda the same problem here. The Joey we use the most is on the deck, the farthest from the Hopper. A couple of times during a 2-3 hour sessin, the video/audio freezes,
but not for a few seconds...forever. No amount of button pushing brings it back except turning the Joey off/on. I have no clue if/when I got a software update, but this has
only been going on for 3-4 days, I think. We don't watch TV out there every day so not sure when it started. Another thing is trying to skip back/forward is erratic That is, it
may go back 20 secs or it may go back 1/2 an hour with one push, or to when it was turned on (or one hour). Eventually I can get to where I want to be, but it's a pain. I'm gonna change out the Joey and see what happens, as the one in the wife's craft room has never been turned on, I don't think. She retires next week, so I'm sure it will get some use soon.

Lol, left both those relevant pieces out of the first post.. :)

The combination of it happening since day one and that you use a DVI-D cable suggests to me it isn't a bad Joey, it's the cable. As suggested a swap of Joeys should help decide.

Are you suggesting that HDMI to DVI-D cables are no good? Read my previous post, theoretically it should work just fine. Now it could be a bad cable, just as HDMI cables can go bad, but just because it's an HDMI to DVI-D doesn't mean it won't work right. DVI can also support HDCP, just depends on if the TV itself also supports HDCP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Compatibility_with_DVI

Even more info:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)