Guidance on how best to upgrade

dhjean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
My mother-in-law is finally getting a new, HD television. She has two receivers currently: a 301 and a 510.

She will need to upgrade the 510, and I do not believe she is on contract.

1. What receiver would be recommended? It appears the 612 is roughly equivalent for HD.

2. Is there a better number to call/group to ask for when she makes the switch?

3. What should she expect for this to happen (i.e., an upgrade fee, a new contract, a service call/charge, etc.)?

I appreciate the help and guidance. :)

BEST thing for you to do is to a DIRT member (Dish Internet Response Team). Those presently online will be listed in RED at the bottom of the Forum page.

She has two receivers currently: a 301 and a 510... She will need to upgrade the 510, and I do not believe she is on contract.

Actually both those receivers need to be upgraded, and will be upgraded for free, by Dish Network, if your mother-in-law can wait that long. The 301 will be replaced with a 311, and the 510 with a 512, all of which are SD receivers. Dish need to upgrade those receivers is so that they can go 8PSK on all transponders on both arcs.

You will need to PM DIRT your mother in laws phone number/account number so they can access her records and give correct information.

She has an HDTV! Do NOT stick her with a 311 & 510!

If she wants to feed two tvs, one HD and one SD, get the ViP722K. They will offer a good upgrade deal, I'm sure. This receiver can feed an HDTV & SDTV independently, so each can watch different programs, or recordings off the DVR. And if the DVR program is in HD, it will feed the SD version to the second TV.

Otherwise, if she wants to feed just one TV, or the same program to two TVs, the ViP612 would be the ticket. The latest and greatest would be a Hopper and a Joey, which could feed an HDTV & a SDTV, or two HDTVs.

You really need to talk to DIRT. I have taken the liberty of alerting MattG to visit this thread.

We need to know: How many TVs? And are they HD or SD? Or is it ok to put an SD signal on the second TV, which may be an HDTV? Makes a big difference in the recommendations.

Expect the 301 to go away. If you can consolidate to a single receiver feeding both TVs, you may find it cheaper.

My mother-in-law is finally getting a new, HD television. She has two receivers currently: a 301 and a 510.

She will need to upgrade the 510, and I do not believe she is on contract.

1. What receiver would be recommended? It appears the 612 is roughly equivalent for HD.

2. Is there a better number to call/group to ask for when she makes the switch?

3. What should she expect for this to happen (i.e., an upgrade fee, a new contract, a service call/charge, etc.)?

I appreciate the help and guidance. :)

If you send me a PM with your phone number or account number, I'd be happy to get you more details on an upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)