Joeys going to black for a few seconds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
Has their been a new Hopper or Joey firmware update recently? When watching recorded programming from either Joey in the house, the entire screen will go black and lose audio for about 5 to 10 seconds. Feels like it might be an HDMI issue, but I've had this same setup since the Hopper came out and I am only now experiencing this with both Joeys in very separate rooms. If I hit the 10 second back button, the recording is there and not messed up.

Any idea what might be causing this? This forum used to have a section just to report technical issues and I can't find that sub-forum. Also, there used to be a thread to discuss firmware updates, but I can't find that one either. If anyone wants to share links, I would appreciate it.

Ok, I have an update:

I rebooted the Hopper and both Joeys. This did not resolve the issue. In fact, there have been a lot more issues occurring. I called Dish and they scheduled a technician to come out.

The technician arrived, I explained the difficulty and, before checking anything or confirming anything, they offered to replace the Hopper. Since my Hopper is half full of recordings, they said I should back up my recordings to an EHD and call the CS line for them to send me a new Hopper. It'll cost me $15 shipping.

That's the easy part. What about all of my folders, timers & DVR settings? I am familiar with backing up the "DVR Settings" to the remote, but what items actually get backed up? Will my timers be moved from the remote to the new Hopper? What about folders, Wi-Fi configuration, etc.? Here are the instructions, but there isn't an explanation of what items get backed up: http://www.mydish.com/support/back-up-receiver-hopper-joey?WT.svl=contentarea

I doubt the folders will be backed up but the timers are.
If possible back it up on 2 remotes. Then if you mess up you've got a second chance, I did need it.
-Ken

I doubt the folders will be backed up but the timers are.
If possible back it up on 2 remotes. Then if you mess up you've got a second chance, I did need it.
-Ken

Folders, I can likely handle redoing. Timers, not so much. Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to give you guys an update on this...

As it turns out, the Joeys going Black for a few seconds was as a result of switching my ISP from at&t U-Verse to Time Warner Cable. Since U-Verse isn't over co-ax, there was no problem, but as soon as I had Time Warner installed, even though there is no good reason for Time Warner Cable Internet to interfere with the Hopper/Joey communication, it was. As soon as I unhooked the Time Warner Cable coax on the side of the house, the Joey worked flawlessly.

I have since closed my Time Warner Account and went back to at&t U-Verse. The beauty of the deal is that I live in Austin and at&t is testing a product called GigaPower over Fiber and I live in a newer community that actually can get it. I now have 300 Mbps internet that will be upgraded to 1 Gbps later this year at no additional fee. I was also able to get a free Hopper with Sling built-in. Now I can actually make use of the Dish Anywhere app. :) Thanks at&t & Dish.

:hail:

Well...there's one person who should have no issues streaming 4K when the time comes. :haha

Yeah, I have been watching 3D Netflix and 1080i/p Netflix with no problems whatsoever. I always swore I'd NEVER go the streaming video route (I'm kind of a Blu-ray Snob), but Netflix quality has been a lot better than expected after I signed up for my free trial this month.

I could save a LOT of money going from Dish to Netflix ($8 a month), Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, etc. Of course, I think that's going to be the ala cart of the future and possibly why Dish is losing market share. Raising prices is NOT the way to go during the VOIP craze.

I reported this in December. It still happens and is getting longer black screen--it never occured until the latest upgrade. Also now getting shut downs of the Joeys with a message of disconnect and to please unplug for 30 secs. --But after switching to another channel find there is no problem..........Gremlins at work??

My Hopper is doing that lately going to channel 2 from nearly anywhere. But only channel 2. The rest take 2-3 seconds, as always (gives me a chance to change my mind. I've come to regard it as a feature).

My Hopper is doing that lately going to channel 2 from nearly anywhere. But only channel 2. The rest take 2-3 seconds, as always (gives me a chance to change my mind. I've come to regard it as a feature).
Shucks, that is what happens to me too. Not all the time but quite often and only to channel 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts