johnstown,Pa HD locals just launched. (not until 4/22 - they are on now)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hmm, when this goes live I guess I can "move" back home from Pittsburgh. It's about time Johnstown/Altoona goes HD on Dish. They're been HD on DirecTV for some time now.

I called DISH and they said they will be on tomorrow (wed).
also said it will be all 4 CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC.

I HAVE TO GET A NEW DISH INSTALLED ON THURSDAY POINTED TO A DIFFERENT SAT.

i just hope i dont have any line of sight issues with sat 129.
i believe im pointing at 61.5 (or somthing close to that number-lol idk :eureka)

Last edited:
That's weird. I've had dish for 3 months. I get my HD from 129. Rest from 110/119. Was HD on 65.5?

HD is also on 61.5 for the Western Arc markets. There's also some locals on spotbeams there too. Check the link in my signature and you can see what is on each satellite.

They launch Wednesday according to kids on twitter.

IIRC, the footprint shown in that link would not be possible from 129W. 129W could be used to cover the Pgh DMA, but would only cover about half the Johnstown / Altoona DMA. I'm in the eastern part of the latter and cannot see 129W. Are we sure those channels won't also be on 61.5, or one of the EA sats.? Sounds like I'll need another dish in either case, and I bet I also don't have LOS to 72.7 or 77...

Last edited:
That sucks if it's on 129. I get 119, 110, 118, 61.5 now. Is there any way I'll be able to get 129 with my current set up or am I out of luck? If so, I think I'll just stay with Pittsburgh locals. :(

IIRC, the footprint shown in that link would not be possible from 129W. 129W could be used to cover the Pgh DMA, but would only cover about half the Johnstown / Altoona DMA. I'm in the eastern part of the latter and cannot see 129W. Are we sure those channels won't also be on 61.5, or one of the EA sats.? Sounds like I'll need another dish in either case, and I bet I also don't have LOS to 72.7 or 77...

Why do you say that footprint is not possible? All the data for the footprints came from the filings with the FCC and has been pretty accurate.

They pretty much filled up the 61.5 spots already. Take a look on the 61.5 section of TheList and see if you find the locals, I doubt it though.

That sucks if it's on 129. I get 119, 110, 118, 61.5 now. Is there any way I'll be able to get 129 with my current set up or am I out of luck? If so, I think I'll just stay with Pittsburgh locals. :(

Swing the 61.5 dish over to 129....granted if you have line of sight.

Why do you say that footprint is not possible? All the data for the footprints came from the filings with the FCC and has been pretty accurate.

They pretty much filled up the 61.5 spots already. Take a look on the 61.5 section of TheList and see if you find the locals, I doubt it though...
Some time back in a discussion on 129W it was stated that the eastern-most boundary was defined by a line drawn through Buffalo NY to somewhere in DE, if memory serves, which left New England out of it's footprint, and the same information mentioned the penninsula of FL as also be out of sight. That's what my statement is based on. If incorrect, so be it. (Checking Dish information I now see that they state 129 is CONUS.) I already checked the lists for 61.5 and the other 2 sats. I currently receive (110 and 119) and the HD versions of the J/A DMA channels are not there. Interestingly the SD versions are split between 110 and 119.

Even if 129 can be seen in my area in general, it will be too low on the western horizon for my exact location. I have a ridge to my west...

Last edited:
Some time back in a discussion on 129W it was stated that the eastern-most boundary was defined by a line drawn through Buffalo NY through somewhere in DE, if memory serves, which left New England out of it's footprint, and the same information mentioned the penninsula of FL as also be out of sight. That's what my statement is based on. If incorrect, so be it. I already checked the lists for 61.5 and the other 2 sats. I currently receive (110 and 119) and the HD versions of the J/A DMA channels are not there. Interestingly the SD versions are on both 110 and 119 (??).

Even if 129 can be seen in my area in general, it will be too low on the western horizon for my exact location. I have a ridge to my west...

Ahhh...you are talking about Echostar 5. Ciel-2 replaced it several months ago. Echostar5 didn't have spotbeams either.

Here's the new CONUS coverage of Ciel-2 at 129.
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

There's no room on the beams on 119 & 110 either. Since there's tons of beams on 129 to fill, no point in leaving them idle, put some locals on them and the folks that have LOS to 129 can enjoy them.

Tks for the update. I haven't kept abreast the changes. I already pinged Dish for alternatives. Perhaps they'll send someone out for a LOS check, but I'm not very optimistic.

Oh well, time to focus again on the OTA solution which at this point gets me 2 local channels reliably (including PBS which is not part of the Dish HD offering) and two others "part time"...

Tks for the update. I haven't kept abreast the changes. I already pinged Dish for alternatives. Perhaps they'll send someone out for a LOS check, but I'm not very optimistic.

Oh well, time to focus again on the OTA solution which at this point gets me 2 local channels reliably (including PBS which is not part of the Dish HD offering) and two others "part time"...

As others say...there's always the other markets on 61.5, but you'll have to do the grey area thing of "moving".

Dish is sending a tech out on Fri. to see if there's any chance for 129. I do have an open input on my DPP44, so perhaps a second wing which might be located elsewhere and optimized for 129 will give me a chance.

What is the elevation for 129 at zip 16877? And is that measured from the central axis of the dish or is it the actual location of the sat. from the horizon? TIA...

Dish is sending a tech out on Fri. to see if there's any chance for 129. I do have an open input on my DPP44, so perhaps a second wing which might be located elsewhere and optimized for 129 will give me a chance.

What is the elevation for 129 at zip 16877? And is that measured from the central axis of the dish or is it the actual location of the sat. from the horizon? TIA...
i would like to know if the elevation of 129 is is close to 61.5 or higher?
on the phone they told me looking from my current dish to the sky the 129 would be further to the right than the 61.5 dish which would be good for me if correct?

i would like to know if the elevation of 129 is is close to 61.5 or higher?
on the phone they told me looking from my current dish to the sky the 129 would be further to the right than the 61.5 dish which would be good for me if correct?

Elevation (up and down) depends where you live geographically in relation to the satellite as does azimuth (left and right) as does skew (rotation of LNBs in relation to satellite). 129 woiuld definitely be to the west of 61.5 by many degrees.

Around 20.5 degrees or so for that location. When positioning the dish the elevation measure is the elevation for the antenna itself on its elevation scale. The sat is actually a few degrees higher since you'll be using an antenna with offset LNBs so the signal reflects off the antenna down to the LNBs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts