johnstown,Pa HD locals just launched. (not until 4/22 - they are on now)

How can I figure out how I'd need to reposition my 61.5 dish for 129? My zip is 15541. Street is Stouffer Hill Road.

digiblur said:
Go to DishPointer.com and you can see exactly where it is in your yard depending on if there is high resolution pictures for your house or not.

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Already tried that using my zipcode and it was not showing 129 as "popular", but then I found the pull-down list and grabbed 129, and voila! Looks like about 20 deg. elevation at about 242 deg. true. I can get up on my roof and eyeball that tonight.

It's also showing 119 with an elevation of 27.2 deg. and IIRC, when I look at where my D500 is "looking" for 119, it's well above the treetops, so perhaps there's hope for 129 ?!?

Tks again for the "nudge". Maybe we'll be seeing J/A DMA in HD by noon on Fri...!

Last edited:
Around 20.5 degrees or so for that location. When positioning the dish the elevation measure is the elevation for the antenna itself on its elevation scale. The sat is actually a few degrees higher since you'll be using an antenna with offset LNBs so the signal reflects off the antenna down to the LNBs.
Tks for that. (Got over onto pg. 2 of this thread and missed your reply earlier.) I'll use my D500 for reference, particularly wrt the 119 location and try to interpolate for 129. If memory serves the dish off-axis angle to the LNB is about 18 deg. So even with the 42 deg. skew for 129 from my location I should still be a few degrees higher than 20.5 deg. elevation (actually 20.3 once I pin-pointed my location on the map). Need to warm-up the old trig. skills here...!

it looks like 61.5 which im now using is 39.5 deg.
and 129 is 20.5 deg.

so i dont know if i will have line of sight since it is so much lower in elevation..

Friend is getting a message on channel 77 saying....

"your smart card does not currently have authorization to view or order this program. please wait or channel up or down"

can't see the locals that just launched. He reset the receiver and still nothing.. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Friend is getting a message on channel 77 saying....

"your smart card does not currently have authorization to view or order this program. please wait or channel up or down"

can't see the locals that just launched. He reset the receiver and still nothing.. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

The locals are not on 77.

The locals are not on 77.

Yeah, I figured that, i guess there was a slide on channel 77 that said HD locals are now available in your area. Then he couldn't view it and was getting that message.

No locals listed in the guide for him... I don't think its a LOS issue, he has 2 dishes at the house now... apparently he needs a new dish... is what the tech told him.

thanks for all the help here.

I'm hoping it will be that simple for me as well but LOS for 129 does not look good at all from the present wing dish position. As it is it looks like the D500 is skimming the treetops for 110/119 (I realize the signal it's seeing is offset higher from the dish center axis) and we'll need about 20 deg. lower to see 129. Might be OK now with no leaves on the trees but that will change quickly. Another location for a separate 129 dish might work however. Tech is coming out tomorrow AM...

I'm hoping it will be that simple for me as well but LOS for 129 does not look good at all from the present wing dish position. As it is it looks like the D500 is skimming the treetops for 110/119 (I realize the signal it's seeing is offset higher from the dish center axis) and we'll need about 20 deg. lower to see 129. Might be OK now with no leaves on the trees but that will change quickly. Another location for a separate 129 dish might work however. Tech is coming out tomorrow AM...

well how did it go for you?

I live in north east PA. My zip is 18444. Can I get a signal from sat 129? I get 110 and 119 with no problems. I was told I need 61.5 but I dont have LOS.

I live in north east PA. My zip is 18444. Can I get a signal from sat 129? I get 110 and 119 with no problems. I was told I need 61.5 but I dont have LOS.
It is possible if you have LOS at your location. Elevation is low there.
Would be lower than 119 and a bit farther west.

Last edited:
Im trying to get an HD set up. I used to have Dish but switched to Directv to get HD locals. I was told Dish has my locals but I was told I need sat 61.5.