Join as new or stay subbed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dean Caudle

Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
St Louis
I have been a DIRECTV subscriber for over 6 years with top of line package. Got the Genie/Sunday Ticket Max about 14 months ago to agree to a new 2 year commitment. Have had my sub on hold as we moved to an apartment while our new house is being built. I am wondering if I am better off paying the early term penalty (10 months I believe) and then having my wife sign up as a new sub at new address or if I would get a better deal just staying since I have been a long time customer? How long is the commitment extended if you use the movers program? Thanks for thoughts.

How long is the commitment extended if you use the movers program?

12 months if you do not upgrade any of your existing equipment, in other words you keep all your receivers and bring them to the new house and just use Movers to install a new dish, SWM, cabling etc. Otherwise if you upgrade any of your equipment during the process it will be a 2 year commitment.

Also, when you suspend your service remember your prior commitment was placed on hold as well.

Last edited:
I have found that the halfway point is around where new sub promos offset the ETF giving you a few months of savings.
Best just to do the math, as I do not know what the current penalty is or what you are paying or will be paying.

I cancelled my account out of contract, moved, and signed up for a new account under wife's name with new address, phone number, and credit card. Received a call from directv account verification dept saying they matched us as being in the same household and would not open a new account. I am now a dish customer.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How did the cancellation process go?. Did they try to save you or just said too bad we matched your household and said tough s**t. Just curious on this one, usually it works. They must be clamping down on moves as a new sub.

Seem like they went through the motions to save the account, no real offer like I have seen others receive. When wife called said had to keep my account or come back in 2 years as new customer. Called last night because they hadn't refunded the installation fee, and they said they would process it and I would receive it in 5 to 7 days. Did not try to get us to keep directv at all. I guess they don't like me for some reason.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Their loss. We've done the swap-a-roo new customer thing a few times not sure if we'll get away with it again but no sweat off my #@!!$ if they don't want our money when we do.

Wow that scares the hell out of me right there. My contract is over a few days after Im moving. Im trying to figure out if I should transfer or have the wife set up new service. Thats jacked up if they would go that far.

Wow that scares the hell out of me right there. My contract is over a few days after Im moving. Im trying to figure out if I should transfer or have the wife set up new service. Thats jacked up if they would go that far.

Surprised me. I don't understand why they are willing to spend so much to get new customers and basically tell me not the let the door hit me on the way out. They are spending big $$$$ to try to get people to sign up for what they refused to let my wife sign up for. In my mind, they are wrong, a different person in a different location should have nothing to do with my previous account that was out of contract. What concerns me, is how much data mining are they doing to match us together? I suspect probably from when they ran her credit check, but I wonder if it goes deeper than that... If I have to switch every 2 years, so be it. Not that much difference between dish or direct. Both have positives and negatives to me.

Surprised me. I don't understand why they are willing to spend so much to get new customers and basically tell me not the let the door hit me on the way out. They are spending big $$$$ to try to get people to sign up for what they refused to let my wife sign up for. In my mind, they are wrong, a different person in a different location should have nothing to do with my previous account that was out of contract. What concerns me, is how much data mining are they doing to match us together? I suspect probably from when they ran her credit check, but I wonder if it goes deeper than that... If I have to switch every 2 years, so be it. Not that much difference between dish or direct. Both have positives and negatives to me.

I'll be doing the same thing if Directv doesn't offer me anything to stay after our 2 years are up. Last time with Direct I fought with them on getting a deal to stay so I switched. Days later I got several phone calls with new customer pricing to stay. There is hardly any loyalty with companies anymore. When I had Dish they were great at offering discounts to stay. I hate switching to be honest as it's a hassle to have to box everything up and send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be doing the same thing if Directv doesn't offer me anything to stay after our 2 years are up. Last time with Direct I fought with them on getting a deal to stay so I switched. Days later I got several phone calls with new customer pricing to stay. There is hardly any loyalty with companies anymore. When I had Dish they were great at offering discounts to stay. I hate switching to be honest as it's a hassle to have to box everything up and send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I worked for Time Warner and they did and still do the same thing. I worked retail and my group would always get sh*t for not retaining people. We would ask how are we to do that when they have already called in and nothing was done and when they come to us to return the equipment they have already signed up. They are already under contract at that point. These companies heads no no ideas as to what the other parts of there bodies are doing.

I can understand both parties decisions, you want the best deal possible. But they(DirecTV) have the right to do this. I had Time Warner and Verizon deny us internet because of other people in household with money due or open account.

It sucks, but it's the way these business's work.

Same said for Cell providers. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all do this too.

We signed up as new customers again. Got installed today. Went through whole sale club and stacked referral. No issues.

Left in may.

Status
Please reply by conversation.