Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Thanks, everyone! Woo-hoo, SatGuys is #102!

I had a 6 hour outage Friday evening. My wife said there was an AT&T tech sitting in our back yard when she got home. Afterward, my router was offline and I didn't notice it until when I went to bed. So, I missed a couple of updates.

Thank you!

I have one 9800GTX+ chugging away. Quite reliable...
I'd have to agree. Mine usually Folds away at somewhere between 220 and 260 pph.

Congratulations on reaching 2,000,000 points! Who's going to be next? :D

Do any of you experienced Folders have any advice for a new kid on the block? Settings/Tips/Tricks?

I have a Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.6 with the SMP Client running... I also have the GPU2 client running on each of my Radeon 4870's. I'm just not seeing the numbers that I thought I would see. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

Thanx in advance for any advice!

Do any of you experienced Folders have any advice for a new kid on the block? Settings/Tips/Tricks?

I have a Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.6 with the SMP Client running... I also have the GPU2 client running on each of my Radeon 4870's. I'm just not seeing the numbers that I thought I would see. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

Thanx in advance for any advice!
I'll assume you're running Windows on your rig. Because Stanford hasn't figured out the Windows SMP client yet (still), it's restricted to running the A1 Projects which aren't as efficient utilizing the multiple cores of your CPU like the A2 Projects. So, even though I would think your Core i7 would produce 5,200-6,000 points per day, it may be closer to 3,600-4,500 points a day.

Likewise, the ATI GPU2 clients don't seem to crank out the PPD numbers like the nVidia card clients do. I have an ATI 4850 (mildly OC'd) that produces maybe 40% of what my "stock" nVidia 9800GTX+ card generates in a slower PC. My 4850 Folds at roughly 2,200 PPD. Again, I know the 4870 is faster, but I don't know but exactly how much.

I'm also assuming that you tweaked the ATI System Environment variables to permit the GPU2 clients to not monopolize the CPU. Out of the box, the ATI GPU2 client will monopolize the entire CPU or one of its cores.

I'll assume you're running Windows on your rig. Because Stanford hasn't figured out the Windows SMP client yet (still), it's restricted to running the A1 Projects which aren't as efficient utilizing the multiple cores of your CPU like the A2 Projects. So, even though I would think your Core i7 would produce 5,200-6,000 points per day, it may be closer to 3,600-4,500 points a day.

Likewise, the ATI GPU2 clients don't seem to crank out the PPD numbers like the nVidia card clients do. I have an ATI 4850 (mildly OC'd) that produces maybe 40% of what my "stock" nVidia 9800GTX+ card generates in a slower PC. My 4850 Folds at roughly 2,200 PPD. Again, I know the 4870 is faster, but I don't know but exactly how much.

I'm also assuming that you tweaked the ATI System Environment variables to permit the GPU2 clients to not monopolize the CPU. Out of the box, the ATI GPU2 client will monopolize the entire CPU or one of its cores.

Wow, thank you for such a detailed response. I am running Vista 64 bit. (sorry for not mentioning that) I obviously have not read enough about these clients. I had no idea about A1 vs A2. I just followed the instructions on how to setup the SMP client. The only thing I did different was turn on the ask for advanced packets. (no idea what that actually does)

I have not tweaked any Environment Variables. I can run 1 SMP client and both GPU2 clients and still not max out the processor. If I try to run a second SMP client, it takes the GPU Utilizations down to about 50%. So I shut the second SMP client down to let the GPU clients run better.

Again, thank you for your help!

If you have ATI graphics cards, it would probably be faster to just run the graphics folding and not do SMP folding at the same time. The GPU ones out perform the SMP ones, and on ATI each GPU one hogs a CPU.

Wow!

I've been humming along with just my dual core and a 9800GTX+ for sometime now but I just cranked up my primary machine, a core2quad running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with a 9800GTX+, and it's really putting out the points!

I know the cpu has little to do with points on a gpu client but the whole setup seems to work really well for folding!

I have Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3 so that it can dual boot. Does anyone know if the Yellow Dog Linux would get better folding numbers than the "Life with Playstation" app?

Give it a try nhra. let it run for a few days and see what you get ppd wise, then try the life app and compare.

Team wise, it looks like we are rebounding well from a few days ago and overall, our points are increasing which I assume is related to cooler weather and more of our members turning on some folding units.

Congrats to NHRA328z for hitting 100K points (in only 3 weeks).:up

Less than 3 days to #101, but more importantly , just over 3 weeks until we break into the Top 100.:D

Keep on Folding SatGuys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts