Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I think that we need to get some on those PS3's back online. The SatGuys trend line at EOC is looking bad.:mad:
I agree! I fire up all three of mine over the weekends, but keep just one running 24x7. I don't mind using them to fold during the winter months since they make excellent space heaters. Better yet, let's double the number of team members to over 300!

I think that we need to get some on those PS3's back online. The SatGuys trend line at EOC is looking bad.:mad:

Ever since they started messing with the GPU core, I can't get my machines to process a complete WU anymore before the errors make them all sit for 24 hours and I have to reboot the machine to get the GPU engine to restart.

:mad:

sorry its probably me killing the team stats , i'm only processing a unit a day

i plan on ordering a new video card soon for this old machine and i have my new machine and will be placing it online soon ( will have to get a vid card for it too).

I've finished 7 units and have now a total of 1227 points.

to gain a lot of ppd i guess ya'll leave your system connected to the internet all day and let the machine upload and download at will? this will be an area where i will be slow hence the thought of running several clients on each pc.

Last edited:
Well my 8600gts will only give me another 1000 PPD and it makes my screen jerky.
running project 5752. is that normal ?

Are you guys running the gpu also running smp or other clients on the same machine ?
I'm also running 4 console clients seems to be ok, but wonder if that is why im not getting the large points others are for the gpu client, i.e not enough main cpu to keep the gpu busy.

Well my 8600gts will only give me another 1000 PPD and it makes my screen jerky.
running project 5752. is that normal ?

Are you guys running the gpu also running smp or other clients on the same machine ?
I'm also running 4 console clients seems to be ok, but wonder if that is why im not getting the large points others are for the gpu client, i.e not enough main cpu to keep the gpu busy.

Your not getting the big points because your running an 8600GTS. You need to run an 8800 or higher to get at least 4k ppd from GPU.

oh! wasnt aware there differences on the card's, re wu assigned.
It has gone up overnight to about 1500 ppd extra on WU 5016 (using fahmon) and the jerkyness seems to have stopped will keep watching,
Will try the smp client instead of the 4 single consoles, to see if that confih helps or not.
Thanks

You need more than that - I'm running a 9500GT and only get 1500ppd.
I am running an 8800GT and average about 3500 ppd. I am also running 2 smp clients. Together, this gives me an average of 5200 ppd. I just brought an 9800GT online (temporarily) for a boost of 3500 ppd.

Last edited:
I am running an 8800GT and average about 3500 ppd. I am also running 2 smp clients. Together, this gives my an average of 5200 ppd. I just brought an 9800GT online (temporarily) for a boost of 3500 ppd.

I would seriously like to know how you are doing this. I have a bare XP machine with nothing else running and no antivirus. I have the console client configured for large WUs and the advanced settings and my 9500GT only provides 1500ppd at best.

I have always been able to crank out the WUs but I never get any points for them.

I would seriously like to know how you are doing this. I have a bare XP machine with nothing else running and no antivirus. I have the console client configured for large WUs and the advanced settings and my 9500GT only provides 1500ppd at best.

I have always been able to crank out the WUs but I never get any points for them.
Which version of the GPU client are you using? Here is what I am using. The 9500GT should provide similar ppd to the 8500GT
Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client with special viewer for NVIDIA GPU's (installer msi) 6.23
There is a graphic here that shows what each video card should be achieving with the current WU's.

Which version of the GPU client are you using? Here is what I am using. The 9500GT should provide similar ppd to the 8500GT

There is a graphic here that shows what each video card should be achieving with the current WU's.

You have to use the Visual client? That means you have to stay logged in to run it right?

Why won't the console running as a service work?

You have to use the Visual client? That means you have to stay logged in to run it right?

Why won't the console running as a service work?
The installation guide says that you can install it as a service. Folding@home - WinGPUGuide
There are two types of client available, which is a Systray version and a Console version. The advantage of the Systray version is that you have a icon on the task bar that you can use to control the client. The Console version use the command prompt to run but the main advantage is that version can be configured as a service, thus concealing the client entirely from the user. However, the service mode doesn't work at all under Vista.
I am using the systray version with the Nvidia driver 7824.

What you need to know before you buy a video card for folding is how many "Processor Cores" or "Shaders" it has. With the 9500GT you only have 32 shaders. With an 8800GT you have 112 shaders. the more shaders the better the card is for folding. Also the more memory the card has the better it is for folding.

The 8800 cards are comparable to the 9800 cards.
The 8500 cards are comparable to the 9500 cards.

Hope this info helps.

What you need to know before you buy a video card for folding is how many "Processor Cores" or "Shaders" it has. With the 9500GT you only have 32 shaders. With an 8800GT you have 112 shaders. the more shaders the better the card is for folding. Also the more memory the card has the better it is for folding.

The 8800 cards are comparable to the 9800 cards.
The 8500 cards are comparable to the 9500 cards.

Hope this info helps.

My 8600GT 1GB was averaging 600ppd
My 9500GT 512MB was averaging 1500ppd

Something is still not right...