Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Congratulations, Scorpion.sting!!! Double my 2,000,000 points in the same week. How did we pull that off???!?

:D

if i was to run this whats the ins and outs
i ran seti@home a long time ago but haven't done anything like it in a while
i have a older pc P4 2.8 with onboard vid and 2 gigs of ram running XP sp3
used to run a command line version of seti@home trying to see what version would be the best to run on a slow machine, its on 24/7 but only has dialup
thanks

if i was to run this whats the ins and outs
i ran seti@home a long time ago but haven't done anything like it in a while
i have a older pc P4 2.8 with onboard vid and 2 gigs of ram running XP sp3
used to run a command line version of seti@home trying to see what version would be the best to run on a slow machine, its on 24/7 but only has dialup
thanks
If your PC has an AGP slot, you might be able to pick up an ATI HD3850 AGP graphics card and use the GPU2 advanced Client. Running the classic client with a 2.8 GHz P4 will probably take 3-5 days of running 100% to complete a Work Unit. The GPU2 client might take 8 hours to finish a GPU Work Unit. The difference is the Classic WU would be 200 points and the GPU WU might be 548 points.

If your PC has a PCIe slot, you be better off with a NVidia card like the 8800 GS (I don't have experience with the NVidia cards, so someone else chime in with the best card). The GPU2 for NVidia does a better job feeding data to the graphics card than the ATI Client.

ok i finally got it loaded ( i think ) the console version ( i downloaded both but finally got the console to get a work unit i guess its called )

can't really tell if its running it just says Loaded Queue succesfully. is this where it sits until done or is there something i need to do to start it? nevermind its downloading something a core maybe
thanks

thanks FoxBat i will check slot, i can't remember its on of the first agp slots
so it might be something to check into upgrading. was just planning on getting a new pc and making this one my FTA satellite pc

EDIT: ok i checked the vid card and it is a Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 AGP8x
got it mixed up with my laptop onboard vid

Last edited:
ok i finally got it loaded ( i think ) the console version ( i downloaded both but finally got the console to get a work unit i guess its called )

can't really tell if its running it just says Loaded Queue succesfully. is this where it sits until done or is there something i need to do to start it? nevermind its downloading something a core maybe
thanks

thanks FoxBat i will check slot, i can't remember its on of the first agp slots
so it might be something to check into upgrading. was just planning on getting a new pc and making this one my FTA satellite pc

EDIT: ok i checked the vid card and it is a Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 AGP8x
got it mixed up with my laptop onboard vid
That card won't cut it. Go to Newegg and check out the 3650 and 3850 cards. These are pretty good values for a capable AGP card. Then you can run the console client and the GPU client. You will probably average around 2000 ppd. Good luck.:up

Then you can run the console client and the GPU client. You will probably average around 2000 ppd. Good luck

if i read this correct, run both at the same time ? is there a benefit to running the gpu verrsion ?

I will have to look inside the pc (Dell 8300) and see how the power configuration is and if expansion to a higher end agp card is suitable most of those look to run HOT. Its close to the end of expandability/upgrade and was planning on just getting a new PC ( and using this pc just for WU's) but haven't researched dual & Quad cpu's and compared them yet.

also i plan to add my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9100) to the equasion but its not configured to hook up to the internet. its a p4 2.4 with 2 gb ram and a 128 MB Radeon 9700 Graphics Card its running XP Pro.
how should i configure these so the laptop can draw a work unit ? set it up as a network?
will have to look into that.

thanks

if i read this correct, run both at the same time ? is there a benefit to running the gpu verrsion ?

I will have to look inside the pc (Dell 8300) and see how the power configuration is and if expansion to a higher end agp card is suitable most of those look to run HOT. Its close to the end of expandability/upgrade and was planning on just getting a new PC ( and using this pc just for WU's) but haven't researched dual & Quad cpu's and compared them yet.

also i plan to add my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9100) to the equasion but its not configured to hook up to the internet. its a p4 2.4 with 2 gb ram and a 128 MB Radeon 9700 Graphics Card its running XP Pro.
how should i configure these so the laptop can draw a work unit ? set it up as a network?
will have to look into that.

thanks
The GPU client will give you many more ppd than the console client. The 8300 should handle a 3650/3850 AGP card with no problems. Add the laptop to your network and you should be able to fold on it.

As for a quad-core, I was able to acquire an Inspiron 530 quad-core (Q6600) from the Dell outlet for less than $400. Added a 8800GT card for $90 and now have a 5,000 ppd folding machine. I am using this machine right now at work.

yeah i will have to do something to speed it up ....
only at 7% had problem with power, system rebooted but it should have run all night last night from 10pm to about 8am with no problems

I woke up and it was 62 in the house this morning...time to turn on the PS3s to fold and create some heat for the next 4-months.
:up We need the points!

If only I could direct the output from my Folding Farm to the surfaces of my two Dish antennas. I'd never have to worry about them freezing up this winter!

Thanks for the congrats guys :cool:

I have had some problems lately with my point average. Ever since having to go to 1.19 on the GPU client my daily point average has went down. My 4 GPU clients ran better on 1.15. I then had a PSU problem so that made me have to shut down 1 GPU and 1 of my 3 SMP clients. I just installed a new PSU so now I'm back up and running all my clients.

Current farm:

5 computers

3 - Vista
2 - XP

4 GPU clients with the following video cards.

2 Evga 8800GS cards
1 Evga 8800GT Akimbo
1 Evga 9800GT

3 SMP Clients

1 - 5.91 Client
2 - 6.23 Clients

I wondered what had happened to your 20K+ppd numbers there, Scorpion.sting. Your EOC tag shows your daily number is down to 13,999 :eek:

I seem to settled into a nice rhythm with the new Mac SMP projects. But I'm really curious to see what one of those new Core i7 970s could do with the Folding at Home SMP client!

still having problems
the command line version (i took it to mean this is the console version) runs very slow on my machine so I opted to try the other version.

GPU client runs a bit smoother & faster , i'm sure i don't have it setup correctly cause it is slowing my machine down a good bit.

I have ordered a new Dell 530 ( like someone mentioned here ) its a quad (if i'm correct at saying 6600) 2.4 Ghz ( has the 8mb of L2) with 6 gb ram ( it was the slower 667 mhz) so i'm looking at options on adding a new Video card ( same person mentioned adding a 8800GT) so that sounded like a good option.( hopefully it will fit and meet the power limitations of the 330w Power supply. I will also be adding a new video card to the old system to revive it. then plan on connecting the three (including the laptop) together. i still have to read up on how to do this.

one problem i've had , i mentioned when i first thought or running F@H that i'm on dialup . so went home yesterday and the unit was finished ( had to stop the GPU and restart to read the log file) the log file said it had trid to upload ( of course not connected ) so it failed. i connected to the internet and tried to let it upload .... it just sat there , no buttons to push ??? so i stopped and restarted the F@H program (GPU) and it still sat there ... is there a trick to uploading your completed work unit.

is ther a way to download multiple work units ? or is it set up that you have to install multiple GPU's and name them 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 ect like the old seti@home

oops looks like i was wrong and it upload cause it gave me a score of 15 lol a days work :D guess i really need to speed that machine up ... at 15 points per day i guess i'll contribute a whole bunch :)

thanks guys any tips and help are greatly appreciated

still having problems
the command line version (i took it to mean this is the console version) runs very slow on my machine so I opted to try the other version.

GPU client runs a bit smoother & faster , i'm sure i don't have it setup correctly cause it is slowing my machine down a good bit.

I have ordered a new Dell 530 ( like someone mentioned here ) its a quad (if i'm correct at saying 6600) 2.4 Ghz ( has the 8mb of L2) with 6 gb ram ( it was the slower 667 mhz) so i'm looking at options on adding a new Video card ( same person mentioned adding a 8800GT) so that sounded like a good option.( hopefully it will fit and meet the power limitations of the 330w Power supply. I will also be adding a new video card to the old system to revive it. then plan on connecting the three (including the laptop) together. i still have to read up on how to do this.

one problem i've had , i mentioned when i first thought or running F@H that i'm on dialup . so went home yesterday and the unit was finished ( had to stop the GPU and restart to read the log file) the log file said it had trid to upload ( of course not connected ) so it failed. i connected to the internet and tried to let it upload .... it just sat there , no buttons to push ??? so i stopped and restarted the F@H program (GPU) and it still sat there ... is there a trick to uploading your completed work unit.

is ther a way to download multiple work units ? or is it set up that you have to install multiple GPU's and name them 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 ect like the old seti@home

oops looks like i was wrong and it upload cause it gave me a score of 15 lol a days work :D guess i really need to speed that machine up ... at 15 points per day i guess i'll contribute a whole bunch :)

thanks guys any tips and help are greatly appreciated
The gpu client should not slow your computer since it is using the video card's gpu for processing. You need to use the 6.23 version of the client console. Using dial-up will really slow things down for reporting. The client console reports back after completing some % of the work unit. My client reports each of the 4 cores as 25% active. I don't know and haven't tried to load multiple clients.

The Inspiron 530 with the Q6600 will accomadate the 8800GT or 9800GT without a psu upgrade. Some great deals at NewEgg right now on the 9800GT's.

gabshere

the windows command line is not fast, it's built that way. I have some wu's that take more than a day to complete.

Also on dialup, you will need to make sure that it uploads the completed and downloads a new wu each tine, this often does not happen first attempt, and can take minutes or even hours if the servers at stanford are slow, busy or just have nothing to give out. So dialup will require you to keep an eye on the log.
I use fahmon Home | FahMon to keep an eye on my 4 command line clients i am running.

To run multiple command line clients on a multiprocessor (q6600 for example) you will need configure each client (use fah504-console -configonly) to specify a separate machineid for each client.

From the faq page Folding@home - FAQ-main

Can I run both the GUI version and Console version at the same time? What happens if I run two console versions?

Yes, but ONLY if you multiple processors/cores, and install in different directories. Also, DO NOT just copy the files from one directory to each other. This will cause the clients to get confused.

1. You won't get credit for the work you do.
  2. It will be no use for science.
Instead, install a client once into each directory. If you have already copied the program into multiple directories and are trying to run it, find the client.cfg file and delete it. The next time the FAH client starts, it will create a new client.cfg file and get a new ID from the project servers. The Windows GUI CPU client Machine ID must be 1, so all other clients must use 2, 3, 4, etc.

gabshere

the windows command line is not fast, it's built that way. I have some wu's that take more than a day to complete.

Also on dialup, you will need to make sure that it uploads the completed and downloads a new wu each tine, this often does not happen first attempt, and can take minutes or even hours if the servers at stanford are slow, busy or just have nothing to give out. So dialup will require you to keep an eye on the log.
I use fahmon Home | FahMon to keep an eye on my 4 command line clients i am running.

To run multiple command line clients on a multiprocessor (q6600 for example) you will need configure each client (use fah504-console -configonly) to specify a separate machineid for each client.

From the faq page Folding@home - FAQ-main

Can I run both the GUI version and Console version at the same time? What happens if I run two console versions?

Yes, but ONLY if you multiple processors/cores, and install in different directories. Also, DO NOT just copy the files from one directory to each other. This will cause the clients to get confused.

1. You won't get credit for the work you do.
  2. It will be no use for science.
Instead, install a client once into each directory. If you have already copied the program into multiple directories and are trying to run it, find the client.cfg file and delete it. The next time the FAH client starts, it will create a new client.cfg file and get a new ID from the project servers. The Windows GUI CPU client Machine ID must be 1, so all other clients must use 2, 3, 4, etc.
Thanks for info. I set up a second Console client and will see how it behaves for a while. The FahMon says I'm producing 6576 ppd before adding the 2nd client. Hopefully this will add another 1500 ppd.:D

well i uploaded my 2nd WU and it was worth 15 points also so that gives me 30 :) That helps if anyone was in last place on the team and wants to feel better cause i'm now bringing up the rear in last place :D lol

maybe i'm not doing something right.

the one i'm running now is the windows version ( not the command line version)
i did add F@HMON and can view the statisics

my new machine arrived yesterday so i will have to start planning on swapping out a few things and order the video cards.