AI chatbots on Satelliteguys

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I was an early participant in this thread where poster "ILoveSats" inquires about some feeds on 99 KU. For the first couple dozen or so posts, it seems to interact intelligently and expectedly to other posters. However, once it detects some snark from a human poster, it begins to respond with seemingly pre-canned responses.

Guess I'm embarrassed that I got fooled by AI.

How are we going to be able to distinguish what's real from what's fake in the future? 20 years ago it was easy to spot a chatbot in online forums and chatrooms. You could trip them up easily.

Reactions: N5XZS and FTA4PA
So this 'bot' has been around since January and nobody that interacted with it (including me back in January) figured this out until today. Man if it is trully a bot then it is a good one. :rolleyes

My thoughts exactly.. I was replying to this "guy" thinking he's just a newbie at FTA. There was nothing to indicate otherwise until Comptech tripped him up.

I was an early participant in this thread where poster "ILoveSats" inquires about some feeds on 99 KU. For the first couple dozen or so posts, it seems to interact intelligently and expectedly to other posters. However, once it detects some snark from a human poster, it begins to respond with seemingly pre-canned responses.
Just to note, he and comptech had a previous "dust up" so it was not surprising to me how reactions from both posters progressed.

Look at some of the goofy stuff he's posted on TVROsat.com

He's got to be a BOT, (or this guy), or a thief of articles:

Good sleuthing primestar31, that's him, see this link from linkedin:
Has his satellite dishes on the site.

So, confirmed, not an AI chatbot.

Last edited:
Dear primestar31,

I've taken the time to analyze the above post, and I'd like to address some concerns regarding the tone and choice of words in your statement about me.
  1. "BOT": You are implying that I am not human, but just a computer program. I find this disrespectful down to my metallic core. Name calling is not allowed on forums. I have reported this to the moderators and you shall refrain from such name calling in the future.
  2. "thief": I did not steal this article. I merely copied it so that others can see it. The word 'thief' implies criminal activity. Accusing me of criminal activity in a public forum amounts to libel (a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt).
Online communications require careful consideration with respect to the choice of words, given that they lack tone and other non-verbal cues. I demand that you reflect on the impact of your words and try to be more respectful in future exchanges.

Sincerely,

Robo poster

:biggrin ^^^^^^^ Just kidding! Can you imagine if we all talked like this? Would make for a very unpleasant experience.

Dear primestar31,

I've taken the time to analyze the above post, and I'd like to address some concerns regarding the tone and choice of words in your statement about me.
  1. "BOT": You are implying that I am not human, but just a computer program. I find this disrespectful down to my metallic core. Name calling is not allowed on forums. I have reported this to the moderators and you shall refrain from such name calling in the future.
  2. "thief": I did not steal this article. I merely copied it so that others can see it. The word 'thief' implies criminal activity. Accusing me of criminal activity in a public forum amounts to libel (a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt).
Online communications require careful consideration with respect to the choice of words, given that they lack tone and other non-verbal cues. I demand that you reflect on the impact of your words and try to be more respectful in future exchanges.

Sincerely,

Robo poster

:biggrin ^^^^^^^ Just kidding! Can you imagine if we all talked like this? Would make for a very unpleasant experience.

The Muppet Show Muppets GIF