Unable to access SatelliteGuys using Firefox

dhett

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Chandler AZ
For the past couple of weeks, I have been unable to access SatelliteGuys using the Firefox browser using the command SatelliteGuys.US. Instead, I get the message on the first page of the attached file. If I try the webpage just using SatelliteGuys.US, I get the message on the second page. I am able to access SatelliteGuys using both the Chrome and Edge browsers.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• forbidden.docx
    182 KB · Views: 73
The issue is not Firefox or the browser as I am sure it's the same issue as I reported which is in posts #195 in the thread:
You can read post(s) 195-197 and 203-204

The firewall of the site somehow decided to block which only clearing the cookies will fix as basically after the cookies are gone, you are no longer logged into the site and the site will work at that point even after you login again.
I am sure Scott Greczkowski can probably look up in the logs of everyone before this comment to see if it's the firewall blocking is the IP address for those that mentioned having the problem to see if it's a common trend or not and if it is, I am no longer the only person reporting the issue so something is triggering it since it seems to block when it feels like it as sometimes it doesn't happen for days or weeks and sometimes it happens after I read 2-3 posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Oh wait. Not that it has to do with the main issue. I was at a customers place who had a Linksys router that had just done an update and it killed a lot of website access. But it was only on iOS devices. They had a guest wifi network setup. I took my own router in and hooked it up and all was good. 'mitey....it's just an fyi.

Oh wait. Not that it has to do with the main issue. I was at a customers place who had a Linksys router that had just done an update and it killed a lot of website access. But it was only on iOS devices. They had a guest wifi network setup. I took my own router in and hooked it up and all was good. 'mitey....it's just an fyi.
Yours is a different issue and basically blocking from the client side I guess more due to the the guest access configuration in the router but the question is do they even have access to the non-guest side of the router where they have full access or better yet, do they even have access to configure the router as it might be they have parental control turned on for the guest side or for all connections? Interesting the blocking was only on iOS devices or maybe their access list is configured to block things only from certain devices based on the MAC address and not really iOS.

The issue here is this sites firewall which Scott said was supposedly blocking the user's IP would be fixed when the user clears the cookies for this site which does not make sense since if the firewall blocked the user's IP, deleting the cookies which is on the client side would not unblock a block that was implemented on the server side. A good analogy would be if a bank blocked access from your IP address, clearing your cookies won't remove the blocking if it's being blocked on the servers end as only the bank will be able to do the unblocking.

Yours is a different issue and basically blocking from the client side I guess more due to the the guest access configuration in the router but the question is do they even have access to the non-guest side of the router where they have full access or better yet, do they even have access to configure the router as it might be they have parental control turned on for the guest side or for all connections? Interesting the blocking was only on iOS devices or maybe their access list is configured to block things only from certain devices based on the MAC address and not really iOS.

The issue here is this sites firewall which Scott said was supposedly blocking the user's IP would be fixed when the user clears the cookies for this site which does not make sense since if the firewall blocked the user's IP, deleting the cookies which is on the client side would not unblock a block that was implemented on the server side. A good analogy would be if a bank blocked access from your IP address, clearing your cookies won't remove the blocking if it's being blocked on the servers end as only the bank will be able to do the unblocking.
As the response was to be an FYI. It was a Linksys firmware issue and non-reversible. Assigning a DMZ to an IP of a Windows, Android device whether wifi or LAN resulted in no issues. The same as when connected through the guest net. In any config., and Apple device would connect to the net. But no Internet access was avaliable. With the same message that the OP displayed above.A glitch that was cured in the next fw release. A glitch from an automatic firmware update. And was an FYI. I understand the issue here. I've read other instances from different members. Perhaps it was a hint to try connecting to the cellular network to check if the issue remained. Or a VPN if you have one. Perhaps the TOR network. Or maybe even Fireproxy. But thank you for your detailed...info.

As the response was to be an FYI. It was a Linksys firmware issue and non-reversible. Assigning a DMZ to an IP of a Windows, Android device whether wifi or LAN resulted in no issues. The same as when connected through the guest net. In any config., and Apple device would connect to the net. But no Internet access was avaliable. With the same message that the OP displayed above.A glitch that was cured in the next fw release. A glitch from an automatic firmware update. And was an FYI. I understand the issue here. I've read other instances from different members. Perhaps it was a hint to try connecting to the cellular network to check if the issue remained. Or a VPN if you have one. Perhaps the TOR network. Or maybe even Fireproxy. But thank you for your detailed...info.
That's interesting since it wasn't picky on Windows, Android which is basically Linux. iOS which is really OSX has the actual Berkeley BSD4.4lite original TCP/IP stack as the kernel is Mach, everything else is FreeBSD based which is the standard TCP/IP stack which would have been the one that would have worked as every OS out there uses a implementation of TCP/IP which is based on BSD. Yes, your issue is basically on the LAN side where the Linksys router was the issue while the issue we are talking about is using a browser on this site only and once the cookies are cleared, access is restored which would not make sense if it was the site's firewall blocking a client's IP. Is the issue the same as the one mentioned below since this is OpenWRT being third party which is not the same as the official stock firmware from Linksys:

That's interesting since it wasn't picky on Windows, Android which is basically Linux. iOS which is really OSX has the actual Berkeley BSD4.4lite original TCP/IP stack as the kernel is Mach, everything else is FreeBSD based which is the standard TCP/IP stack which would have been the one that would have worked as every OS out there uses a implementation of TCP/IP which is based on BSD. Yes, your issue is basically on the LAN side where the Linksys router was the issue while the issue we are talking about is using a browser on this site only and once the cookies are cleared, access is restored which would not make sense if it was the site's firewall blocking a client's IP. Is the issue the same as the one mentioned below since this is OpenWRT being third party which is not the same as the official stock firmware from Linksys:
Well. A site issue can hopefully be fixed. Time is money and yeah, the first idea was to just install dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato flavors. Funky processor and no support for the thing. So I gave them an AP in the form of an old router to use until we came up with a solution. Besides paying the bill I got a fish dinner and a mess of beers and the router stayed until finding a new fw release for theirs that fixed the issue. There was no shell access on it, of couse.
Me. I tend to go in and find and fix the issue w/o dissecting it to the last electron. You know.

Well, Arlo, consider the fact that you are dealing with an astrophysicist with a PhD. It's his nature. Go with it, or not...
Lol. Reminds me of National Lampoon's Vacation.
Rusty Griswold:
Ya' got Asteroids?
Cousin Dale:
Naw, but my dad does. Can't even sit on the toilet some days.

But. All in all. Rich Purnell is a Steely-Eyed Missile Man.
I'm just mediocre-mitey I guess.

Well. A site issue can hopefully be fixed. Time is money and yeah, the first idea was to just install dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato flavors. Funky processor and no support for the thing. So I gave them an AP in the form of an old router to use until we came up with a solution. Besides paying the bill I got a fish dinner and a mess of beers and the router stayed until finding a new fw release for theirs that fixed the issue. There was no shell access on it, of couse.
Me. I tend to go in and find and fix the issue w/o dissecting it to the last electron. You know.
Yeah, you never mentioned what Linksys model router it was. But with dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato, it will actually be slower because all of those do not contain the Broadcom Driver which is paid and license so the hardware acceleration will not be enabled. So a 300Mbps normal speed will be at 190Mbps or so without the hardware acceleration. I thought they somehow they were actually still using their own router afterwards. I guess depending on what model it is, there is actually a better firmware than even Linksys's stock firmware which has the Broadcom Driver in it, that's a ported version of R-Merlin's ASUS software but you need to have specific models of the LinkSys router(s) for that to work from either XWRT-Vortex available at Home | Xwrt-Vortex which is more limited and only supports the EA6900 or Koolshare which supports over 80 models of Netgear and Linksys routers. Koolshare is available at Merlin-Koolshare Routers - WannaFlix but only supports Linksys router models EA6200, EA6400, EA6500v2, EA6700, EA6900. I usually mess with different software parts only and will go third party as needed since the only reason one needs to even dissect it
is to connect it to the serial port manually to reflash it if there is no other way to do it which usually means a bad flash. The other thing you can do is downgrade the Linksys stock software but it is not direct from Linksys stock to Linksys as that's not possible. What you need to do is install dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato flavors and then switch back to the Linksys software version of your choice but it seems Linksys provided the following to downgrade the software:
Shell access would depend on the model as on some, you can enable telnet and then telnet to the router for the shell access.

Last edited:
Well, Arlo, consider the fact that you are dealing with an astrophysicist with a PhD. It's his nature. Go with it, or not...
Depends on the product in question. Not for a router as these are not even real routers and nothing more than something more than a Network Address Translation (NAT) device and routes a real IP on the WAN side to private IPs for multiple devices. If it was limited, there is nothing much you can do except use third party software like XWRT-Vortex on the Netgear R7000 which basically puts it on RMerlin-ASUS firmware that many have done to get better performance and also customization of the features including rooted shell access by ssh. Other than that, you really won't get much with dissecting a router anyways unless you had a bad flash as all you can really use it for is connecting a serial cable to a few pins of the router to reflash it from the computer which others have done with different routers. Other than that, there are others who do a more customized solution and just run pfsense on a PC using ethernet cards to take in the connection and then use things like Ubiquiti for the access points instead which will work better and have better range than the consumer routers. For things like that, dslreports.com is a better resource.

Nah. I didn't mention the model of router. But note. It had a processor that was unsupported on the aforementioned third party firmwares. You kinda' answered your own statement as it did not contain a BCM chipset. Or Marvell.
If it was Marvell it could have been one not yet having source code. It didn't really matter.
On my trip at the bar in question past Teddy to grab his pen and round table to grab the stapler. The issue was identified. A solution was found. Short of purchasing a new unit. And smiles abounded.
No biggie really. Nothing to do at all with site connectivity here as in post #1.
Looking at an R7000 with its flashy led's a few feet away. It had Vortex. It wouldn't do an AiMesh with an RT-68. And WDS not one bit at all. With dd-wrt from using client bridge (which always worked well) WDS setup and ran perfectly.
Not bad huh? I mean. For not attending haaavaaad. Probably because I love to drive and paaakin' da' caaaa woulda' been a pain. Pfsense, pfnonsense, jtag, serial, bla bla. Done it, do it.
Oh. Even after a factory reset on the bar router. A firmware back step wasn't possible. Yeahhh.
Sometimes. Believe it or not. Dipping your toes in the lake, sitting on the dock. With a cane pole and a can of worms is pretty relaxing. Try it sometimes. With a can of beer even. And just be stupid for a bit. But smarter than the fish hopefully. You may meet your match!

Nah. I didn't mention the model of router. But note. It had a processor that was unsupported on the aforementioned third party firmwares. You kinda' answered your own statement as it did not contain a BCM chipset. Or Marvell.
If it was Marvell it could have been one not yet having source code. It didn't really matter.
On my trip at the bar in question past Teddy to grab his pen and round table to grab the stapler. The issue was identified. A solution was found. Short of purchasing a new unit. And smiles abounded.
No biggie really. Nothing to do at all with site connectivity here as in post #1.
Looking at an R7000 with its flashy led's a few feet away. It had Vortex. It wouldn't do an AiMesh with an RT-68. And WDS not one bit at all. With dd-wrt from using client bridge (which always worked well) WDS setup and ran perfectly.
Not bad huh? I mean. For not attending haaavaaad. Probably because I love to drive and paaakin' da' caaaa woulda' been a pain. Pfsense, pfnonsense, jtag, serial, bla bla. Done it, do it.
Oh. Even after a factory reset on the bar router. A firmware back step wasn't possible. Yeahhh.
Sometimes. Believe it or not. Dipping your toes in the lake, sitting on the dock. With a cane pole and a can of worms is pretty relaxing. Try it sometimes. With a can of beer even. And just be stupid for a bit. But smarter than the fish hopefully. You may meet your match!
Interesting since I thought all Linksys routers in the last 16 years were Broadcom based, I knew some were Marvell but never really paid attention to the Marvell models. I prefer Qualcomm Atheros over Broadcom. I know others have the Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex and it did AiMesh fine with the RT-68, other ASUS models and even another Netgear R7000 running XWRT-Vortex which is covered in the thread here as I also use a R7000 with XWRT-Vortex:
Gotta jet!

Anyways back to the original topic, I always have a tab on the browser that is dedicated to this site and it ofcourse sleeps when I am not in front of the keyboard but what I noticed is the problem usually happens when I hit reply on a post after reading a thread, never happened when I am creating a post is that the site will not finish showing the page as the two blue things as shown below which is at the top of the browser window immediately under the browser address bar with the red arrows are moving from left to right in a scanning pattern non-stop until actually refresh the page which will show the 500 access denied error or until I delete the cookies for the site in the browser which the browser will show a reload button on the page as the cookies have been cleared. I can access the site fine logged in as myself from another browser so the firewall on satelliteguys is not really blocking the IP as shown but is related to the cookies used. This event actually happened about 8 minutes ago.

1697596210265.png

arlo - Do you know what version of the R7000 you were using as Netgear had both the original R7000 which was known now as the version 1 and what XWRT-Vortex worked on and then a few years later, they introduced a R7000 v2 which was a new model using the older R7000 name which doesn't work with XWRT-Vortex which came to mind after my last response. And a FYI is I visit this site and others to help people with their problem for free and my time visiting other places s limited since I have to take care and watch my 95 year old mom who lives with me in case of falls, etc so I am not on here because I have nothing else to do as most of my interests are personal hobbies and interests that I do without pay, has nothing to do with what I do for a living but things I have a interest in since I was about 8 years old which was 41 years ago. I never charge anyone to help them regardless if it took an hour or a week since I don't sleep until I fix whatever issue they need help with including with customers who aren't even customers any longer. And no, my income does not come from NASA either as that's just pocket change as I make more in my investments while sleeping in a day than a majority of people make a year so every minute of my time is $25 or more of passive income in the background so while you may not consider browsing forums and communicating on forums as fun, it's one of my interests out of the many thousands. Besides, would we all be on the forums regularly if it wasn't a interest. This is just one of the many thousands of communicating I do on one day alone on the personal side of life that is earth based. Everything else is technically out of this world when it comes to the profession. As I menioned, I also own and run a ISP remotely in Hawaii so I do all the engineering and also act as the 24/7/365 NOC (Network Operations Center) being the only person operating it without any assistants which is also a hobby as I have not seen a red penny for the last 31 years.

Last edited: