Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Thanks, everybody! (I just wish I could make money this fast! :)) I also wish that I wouldn't keep getting these Project 2618 proteins. They make the Mac work harder than usual and instead of 95-100pph, the Mac Folds these P2618 runs somewhere around 70pph. But, according to the broken Folding Forum, the Windows & Linux SMP clients blow up when trying to Fold these simulations (they don't know why), so I guess that's why us Mac SMP users are getting them. Science marches on...

I see our Team is close to the three-and-a-quarter million mark in points. Also, August is our best month ever (726K points and climbing). Now we start running into some serious headwinds making progress through the 200s field. The Top 200 is almost three months away, so sometime around Christmas, perhaps? Plus, we should pick up steam as the weather cools and people don't mind heating the house with the waste heat from Folding simulated proteins...

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing Foxbat. I won't have to heat my basement this winter with my folders going.

I wonder if I could use the extra heat next summer to pre-heat my cold water pipe into my hot water heater.

I dont know how many of you are running the windows smp client, but i have been having lots of errors when it starts a new WU with File IO_Error. The folding forum amost always says, oh your system is unstable but i just noticed someone else has the very same issue
However i have noticed if i turn off my virus checker as it starts up, it starts ok ! I am using CA's ez-trust antivirus. hope this helps someone

Anyone who runs AV should put an exclusion in for the FAH directories. I have never had an issue with my work PC that is protected by McAfee, but I have seen where McAfee hold up some larger files while they're being scanned.

I'm trying to figure out why my Athlon XP running the console version keeps on getting WUs stuck in the queue. It successfully submits the WU when it's done, but then it tries to send it again and again and again until I manually delete the offending WU. The problem is Stanford's site records the last submission time as the last activity, so when I'm trying to see remotely if things are running at home, I see recent activity, but no more points or WUs.

Ever since PS3's v1.2 client came out, my PS3 has made an annoying high pitched noise while folding. If I'm not folding (playing a movie or game), it goes away.

It's very annoying and might be enough to get my PS3 out of folding 24/7. When I'm watching an HD DVD its very obvious and distracting.

Anyone else noticing this?

jgantert is now a member of the 300K Club!!! Congratulations! @party

Hey, has anyone been able to access the Stanford Folding at Home site lately? It keeps timing out on me. The Work Unit servers still seem to be handing out assignments and accepting completed WUs, but my link to our homepage seem broken.

Ah, it seems the fah-web.stanford.edu is down, not the rest of the site. Here's the news from the Folding site:
9/12/2007 Unplanned network outage
There was a network outage today. Everything in FAH is up and running, except for the web site. We are working to get that back up and expect to have it back up on Thursday morning PST. We have been keep a close eye on the stats and all looks fine there. For those who are curious, here's what happened:

At 11:45 a.m. today, a contractor cut a cable to Forsythe Hall resulting in a disruption of university computer service. There was no disruption to 911 service at either the university or Stanford Hospital. Interim recovery procedures were in effect at 1:45 p.m., according to the Forsythe emergency operations center. Faculty and staff using the network may experiences periodic network problems throughout the day as the university works to repair the damage.

Likewise, the Kakao Stats and the EOC site are not showing results from the last 18 hours or so.

Hey, has anyone been able to access the Stanford Folding at Home site lately? It keeps timing out on me. The Work Unit servers still seem to be handing out assignments and accepting completed WUs, but my link to our homepage seem broken.

It's been broken since yesterday afternoon. It's like their server is overloaded (or the back end is timing out).

LER

what's up with the folding home ticker ir in my sig, its been stuck at 405 for awhile while my ps3 keeps folding and is at 424 or higher

is the folding ticker broken?

the main stats site has been broken for > 24 hours. It seems to be fixed now, and I'd expect EOC (where the ticker comes from) to update within 6 or 8 hours.

LER