Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

had a couple of bad WU 2665 recently so sitting there doing nothing most of the day, oh well, priveleges of being a beta tester:rolleyes:

If you run an instance of the uniprocessor client for each core with the -advmethods flag to enable the 2x bonus WUs you can get most of the production of the SMP client with none of the headaches.

Can't seem to get any help from the FAH forums. I guesse I'll just uninstall from from my desk top PC. It still will not send reults. Sorry fellas. Don't know what else to try.

I think I am going to go with this PSU for my Gateway GT5428 so I can add another 8800GS to my farm.

Let me know what you think.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

Well the new PSU came in and is now installed with no problems. I also just bought another 8800GS from newegg today for $61 after $30 mail-in rebate. Cant beat that price and also free shipping.

My GPU client rig has been Folding away very nicely in the basement. The temps down there are always around 68?F so the systems sucks in nice, cool air, then heats it up! If I could get more of those 548 point WUs, I'd be a happy Folder. As it is, this 5 year-old box with the single CPU is turning out more points than the 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo running the SMP client.

I got some disappointing news when it turned out that the $15 rebate on the Sapphire ATI HD 3850 card was not in effect when I ordered the card (even though NewEgg had it on their web site). Oh, well, that's the way the rebate crumbles. At least the $30 rebate on the Antec P/S is good (takes 12 weeks, though!)

The Team is getting closer and closer to 50,000 WUs Folded! We're currently 238th in WUs completed, 128th in Points. We keep on trading places with AV123. We need to get some more of the Fair Weather Folders back on-line.

Stimpson, I'll try finding your posts over at the Folding Forum. I can't imagine it's totally hopeless.

I installed 6.2 on my home Mac after the previous version stopped working. 6.2 appears to be preference panel only. How can I tell if it is actually producing?

I have been using InCrease to monitor WU progress, but now get this message (I also got this message before upgrading to 6.2):

Starting...

Unit at ~/Library/Folding@home:
cannot start: isWritable YES, hasClient NO, isStopped YES, isLocal YES, owner F@H, platform OSX; PowerPC
The unit owner appears to not be InCrease.
If it should be, you may need to rename the enclosing folders to contain neither "Folding@home" nor "foldingathome", which are assumed to belong to the Stanford GUI or finstall, respectively.

Is there an old file I need to delete? I did delete everything i could find from fah prior to my last installation. This isn't my primary points generator, but I'd like to get it running again.

I installed 6.2 on my home Mac after the previous version stopped working. 6.2 appears to be preference panel only. How can I tell if it is actually producing?

I have been using InCrease to monitor WU progress, but now get this message (I also got this message before upgrading to 6.2):

Starting...

Unit at ~/Library/Folding@home:
cannot start: isWritable YES, hasClient NO, isStopped YES, isLocal YES, owner F@H, platform OSX; PowerPC
The unit owner appears to not be InCrease.
If it should be, you may need to rename the enclosing folders to contain neither "Folding@home" nor "foldingathome", which are assumed to belong to the Stanford GUI or finstall, respectively.

Is there an old file I need to delete? I did delete everything i could find from fah prior to my last installation. This isn't my primary points generator, but I'd like to get it running again.

Is this your F@H username? jrp(sg) - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

If so, you're producing just fine.

Were you using the console version previously? I extracted the actual mpiexec and fah6 executables from the 6.2 version and installed them into my Folding@Home directory. That works just fine for me.

What version of InCrease are you running? I downloaded the 2.4.1 version of InCrease which is supposed to be a little more aware of the V6.2 FAH client.

Were you using the console version previously? I extracted the actual mpiexec and fah6 executables from the 6.2 version and installed them into my Folding@Home directory. That works just fine for me.

What version of InCrease are you running? I downloaded the 2.4.1 version of InCrease which is supposed to be a little more aware of the V6.2 FAH client.

I was using the console version previously. It had started to give me the same message I posted about 6.2.

I'm running InCrease 2.4. When I use the "Check for Updates…" menu selection it says that there are no updates available

To make sure I understand what you did: You pulled mpiexec and fah6 from the package contents of "Folding@Home" in the applications folder and put them in the ~/Libraray/Folding@Home folder? Did you need to reboot following?

Thanks for the help.

jrp, I just noticed that you're running a PPC Mac. I have Intel-based Macs, so my experience is different. I tried the Installer version, but I didn't like the lack of control in shutting down the client. I thought it would be easier adding InCrease, but I ran into problems there, too. When the August deadline approached, I tried the V6.02 console version, but I saw the Installer version was V6.20, so I figured it must be better, right?

Okay, InCrease V2.4.1 is located on the InCrease Home InCrease website. It says Beta, but it's been rock-solid for me. Here's my configuration:
Code:
InCrease 2.4.1
Client: ~/Library/Application Support/InCrease/bin/fah6 (does not exist)
SMP Client: ~/Library/Application Support/InCrease/bin/smp/fah6 (does not exist)
System Sleep: 0 minutes (never) 
Molecule Viewer: /Applications/fpd.app

New Unit Defaults:
   User: Foxbat
   Team: 55236

Local Group:
   ~/Library/FAH-SMP-Term
Units:
   ~/Library/FAH-SMP-Term1  (Foxbat, 55236, 1)

Launch Options:
   Cpu count: actual (4)
   Client: fah6
   Client args: -local -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9 -smp
As you can see, InCrease does not know where the fah6 executable is. Since I don't use InCrease to control Folding, that's not a problem. I use it solely to monitor my two Macs and the GPU2 box in the basement.

Oh, and about the V6.20 fah6? Find the "Folding@home-OSX-6.20.mpkg" file you downloaded from Stanford (well, it was a ZIP file, but it creates this when you unzip the download). Right-mouse-click on this file and select "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu. This opens a Finder window showing the "Contents" folder. Double-click on the "Contents" folder and you'll see one file and two folders. Double-click on the "Packages" folder and you'll see the file "root.pkg". Right-mouse-click on this and Show Package Contents (still with me?). Double-click on the "Contents" folder and you'll be rewarded with four files and a folder. Find the "Archive.pax.gz" archive and double-click on it. This should expand the archive into the current window, creating a folder called "Archive" with two items in it. Open up this folder and you'll see two folders, "Applications" and "Library". Double-click on Applications and you'll see the Folding@home application. You'd think we're done, but guess what? That's right, Show Package Contents one last time and there is the Finder window with the fah6 and mpiexec executable files!

At this point, it's up to you where you want to put the fah6 executable. (I wouldn't bother with the mpiexec on your PowerPC Macintosh.) Close all the Finder windows and Fold safely!

Last edited:
Those of the Team with the SMP client under Windows, did you see that there is a release 3 of the V6.22 beta? This is supposed to fix the ACK problem at the end of a WU.

However, the SMP V6.22 looks like a huge mess when browsing the Folding Forum. I liked the one suggestion to give up on the Windows-based Folding client, install the freebie VMware client, and run the Linux SMP client (which has the better A2 core anyway). That's beyond my ken...

Foxbat, SMP 5.91 is still running just fine for me. Lets hope they keep the WUs coming. :) Hopefully I won't have to step back into that big steaming pile of 6.22 again for quite a while.

-John

im running windows 6.22 and for the last week or so no issues, im back up to almost my usual daily of about 2k points. So fingers crossed im fine,

Going away for a couple of days so if it crashes i guess it will just sit there, till i get back.

Fold on !

New 8800GS up and running fine producing 4500ppd. I should be able to hit 20k per day soon. On a different note. I am going to the blueberry festival tomarrow evening...love the food.

Lets keep it up guys. AV123 is right behind us so lets keep it that way.:)