Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

I admit I haven't been paying attention to F@H lately, so I hopped over to the Folding site to see what's new. It looks like the days of Folding with my Dinosaur may be coming to an end with the new GPU projects requiring an AMD HD5xxx or greater card (it has an HD3750 if I recall). If that happens, I may need to donate it to some recycling center since no one really wants a 2.3 GHz single-threaded AMD PC anymore.

Ah..... Computers. You buy 'em for big bucks and sell 'em by the pound. :D

Ah..... Computers. You buy 'em for big bucks and sell 'em by the pound. :D
A couple of years earlier in this thread is the story of how I resurrected this HP d325 PC from work that had been hobbled by bad electrolytic capacitors. I was able to stick the AMD HD3750 card into it and get about 1400 PPD out of a PC that had generated maybe 50 PPD before. So, the only bucks were for the EarthWatts P/S and the HD3750 card.

But my days of throwing money at Folding is over. When the boxes are obsoleted because of decisions made by the F@H team to abandon older hardware, well, that's science's loss. I always assumed that Points were based on an equivalent amount of useful work done (more points = more science) so if my feeble 12,000 PPD isn't worth their support, I guess my electric bill will be going down.

Hmmm, which will come first? 14,000,000 points or 20,000 Work Units?

Still haven't figured out what's been going on with my pts, but I have thrown in the towel for the summer. Got a new job and will be relocating to the south so it probably won't be until this fall that I get around to them again (plus it's not like I need extra heat down south)

Still haven't figured out what's been going on with my pts, but I have thrown in the towel for the summer. Got a new job and will be relocating to the south so it probably won't be until this fall that I get around to them again (plus it's not like I need extra heat down south)

Good luck!

Thanks. Gotta start workign with the relocation company this week I guess on finding a new home and selling current one. Never been through company relocation before.

Well I just succumbed to the siren call of new a new card for more points. I picked up a Zotac GTX 550 TI at Frys for $139 with a $30 rebate (hopefully I'll get it, too). This seemed like the best card for me, as I didn't want to buy a new power supply too. I got a bit of a scare getting it going. The latest Nvidia drivers (270.61) cause this board to not be able to fold at all. Fortunately the drivers included on Zotac's CD (266.71 beta) fold well. So far fahclient 7.1.24 is showing over 9000 points/day.

sigimage.php