Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Foxbat, how is it you have more points than me when I have more units completed than you? You only have 7 close to 8 and I have 23!

Foxbat, how is it you have more points than me when I have more units completed than you? You only have 7 close to 8 and I have 23!

Because he is special :D :D :D :D

I am still trying to finish my first. Left the stupid PC on all night long, but the power went out at work, and rebooted, and it never logged back in, of course! :)

The faster your computer finishes a WU, the more points you get. I'm averaging only 157 per WU which is really sad. Got 4 P4s and one Dual core Amd. If I take away the Amd machine, I'll probably average only 100.

I'm beta-testing the SMP client. The folks at f@h grant more points to reward the testing, plus to counter any lost work when the client crashes. I've noticed mine crashed a number of times, but (so far) the client restarts itself. When everything goes well, my Mac Pro finish 100 frames (1 WU, 10,000,000 steps) in a little less than 20 hours.

As I mentioned before, I may be starting over due to changing my Donor name. We'll see sometime around noon EDT today. I'm hoping that all will be well since the User ID in the logs appears to be identical to what I had before.

There is talk on the Folding forum that testing with the 8-core Mac yields a better than two-fold increase in processing due to increased cache hits with the Clovertown CPU. The current SMP client is designed for four cores, so to they had to tweak the SMP client to use the eight cores efficiently. When the quad-core Xeons drop in price, I guess it's relatively easy to swap out the dual-core Xeons I have with the newer chips. I wouldn't do that unless it was ~$200-300 or so. I can't really justify it at this time.

Team Update: 4,003 of 58,651! We're just a few places away from breaking into the top 4,000 teams! (From the rankings generated at 7:00am EDT, we were actually in 3,952th place, so we've reached a fairly volatile group of teams.) We'll see what happens later in the day.

Last edited:
Yea, Rocky! You pushed us over the top with your first WU! At 9:18am EDT, SatelliteGuys.US is currently ranked 3,976 of 58,655 teams with 65,063 pts and 219 WUs!

Welcome to the Fold...

I think we'll crack the top 5000 in the next couple of days; the top 4000 will take maybe two weeks. If we can get more members to participate, I think the top 1000 can be achieved by the end of the year.
Considering we cracked 4000 less than a week after Scott announced this (and not two like I thought), maybe we will make 1000 sooner than December. Wee!

Once we get in the top 2000, we'll appear on the ExtremeOverclocking F@H site.:cool: But, until then, check out the FAHStats site for the team ranking: http://fahstats.com/t.php?t=55236
The FAHStats is really an excellent site with predictions available for 1 day, 7 days, and 30 days out. If you click on your username, you can see your history. According to them, Scott has been running this for two weeks.
rockymtnhigh said:
Cool. That P4 has been working and working and working. Pathetic actually that it took that long. 40 sec/frame.
I don't have a feel for what a "frame" is. I see "steps" in my logs; at 12 minutes per 100,000 steps which works out to ~139 steps/sec. I can't believe that frames=steps because that would mean that I'd have to become a full-time Mac Fanboy :D

Last edited:
A64 processing at 10sec per frame (my machine never has info about "steps") compared with 40sec per frame on the stinking P4.

Might have another WU done this weekend.

As I feared, there is another Foxbat on the SatelliteGuys.US team, and he is me.:) The FAHStats site rolls up my credits, but not the actual Folding@Home. At least all the points are going towards our Team total. Oh, well, in a week, the original "Foxbat" should in the past and the "new Foxbat" moves ahead of it.

I think the SMP client deals in different units than the regular clients. I'll see if I can find the relation between the two on the Folding Forum.

Last edited:
As I feared, there is another Foxbat on the SatelliteGuys.US team, and he is me. The FAHStats sites rolls up my credits, but not the actual Folding@Home. At least all the points are going towards our Team total. Oh, well, in a week, the original "Foxbat" should in the past and the "new Foxbat" moves ahead of it.

How on earth are there two of you? I don't understand. I have both of my machines set up as rockymtnhigh - is that ok?

How on earth are there two of you? I don't understand. I have both of my machines set up as rockymtnhigh - is that ok?
Yeah, you can have as many machines contributing to the cause with the same Donation name. My problem was changing the donation name on my one machine from "Foxbat@SatelliteGuys" to "Foxbat". Folding@Home hides the "domain" (everything after and including the "@" sign), but it is present in the client files on my machine.

The only reason I changed it was due to the problem I was having with my Folding Status widget. It would show my team status OR my current WU progress, but not both at the same time. I'm assuming the widget will pick up my "new" donation name after Foxbat passes Foxbat@SatelliteGuys. I think the widget programmer should have modified the widget to conform to Folding@Home's behavior and drop the "@blah-blah-blah" when querying the F@H status website.

i finished a wu on tuesday but it still hasnt posted to my personal stats. anyone have any ideas what going on? im gonna finish another one tomorrow, so hopefully that one posts

shappyss, check your FAHlog.txt file and see that you have the right username and team listed. I checked the stats and I don't see any donators whose name starts with "shappy".

Also, per Cegarrett's suggestion, I downloaded the Terminal version of the SMP client and launched it, so now I'm closer to 100% utilization on my four cores. I'll keep an eye on the CPU temperatures and fan speed. I've been seeing temps around 40-42?C with one SMP client going (76% load), so I'm curious to see how toasty the Mac gets at 100%...

Last edited:
More information: Try the Team drop-down on SatelliteGuys.US's FAHStats site. The Radar shows how we're progressing amongst our similarly-ranked teams and projects out when we'll overtake teams ahead of us. Pretty cool site, I must say...

Also, my CPUs are about 5?C warmer than usual, so I'm going to continue to run the two instances of the SMP client. Hopefully, I'll be contributing 2,000 points per day to SatelliteGuys.US.

i finished a wu on tuesday but it still hasnt posted to my personal stats. anyone have any ideas what going on? im gonna finish another one tomorrow, so hopefully that one posts
I see your results got posted today. Did they totally miss the one from Tuesday? That stinks (as my son would say:) )

I just threw my MacMini(PPC) at it as well.

The Xeon box is on hold (see my pub thread).

I did, however, set off one on the server I have colo'd in Dallas (Not the SatGuys Server, but mine).

LER