Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Randall, there should be a UnitInto.txt file somewhere in your FAH directory that contains the progress statistics. There might also be an HTML file as well with useful links.

Thanks Foxbat. I saw the html file and saw the link to the unitInto.txt file but it's not there yet so it hasn't finished the working unit. With the GUI version you could see where you were (1500/5000) but no biggie.

And I think we can do even better - there is no reason why we can't get four or five times the number of people participating. The way I look at it, I put it on my work machine, and I forget about it. It really has little or no impact on the work I do.

And I think we can do even better - there is no reason why we can't get four or five times the number of people participating. The way I look at it, I put it on my work machine, and I forget about it. It really has little or no impact on the work I do.

Some people are not allowed to run folding programs on work's computers. I agree with you, we could get more people involved and may break the 1000 barrier. :D

Some people are not allowed to run folding programs on work's computers. I agree with you, we could get more people involved and may break the 1000 barrier. :D

I didn't ask; just put it on my work machine. :D

Check out the thread in the Pub, to try to get more people involved.

I started this morning on 2 of my machines. One is a Core2 Duo running 64bit Fedora, and its been running for about 19 hours,and is at 390000 out of 500000 steps. The other is a Vista laptop, and it's 2000/5000. When I get back this weekend, I'll install it on a couple of my servers, and see what kind of numbers I can get.

I didn't ask; just put it on my work machine. :D
Unfortunately, in these days of Sarbanes-Oxley, installing non-approved software can have $eriou$ consequences for some people. As cool as it sounds to take the 25 or so servers I have under my wing at work and turn them into Folding contributors, I doubt very much that my corporate overlords would see the merit of this action. Even running it on my desktop at work would be risky since I would need to have a clear channel through the Proxy Servers which usually requires a username & password to open up and I signed a piece of paper saying I wouldn't use my Company-issued IT resources for non-Company activities, except as otherwise noted (minor Internet use for reading news, weather, & shopping is permitted).

That's one of the reasons I got a Mac for home, so I can unload all the crap, er, "neat" stuff I've loaded on my work notebook over the last couple of years and run it on a box with no repercussions.

Oh, just noticed another WU is in the can! :up

More Milestones!

I see Scott updated the homepage with news of our breaking through the 2,500 barrier :)up), so I was investigating some of the competition. Leo Laporte (TWiT, The Screen Savers, etc.) has a team (currently in 105th place), so you'd expect a lot of big iron would be available to him and his "Folding Army". Well, Kakao Stats has SatelliteGuys.US passing their team in the future!

The prediction? It will take 8,099 days :eek:, or sometime around 22:12 UTC on June 14th, 2029!!! We're only 9,225,103 points behind, but we're generating more points per week than they are. :D

I joined up to the satguys team and this time around the clients are not bombing on all my machines. I am going to be bringing machines 4 and 5 and possibly 6 online later tonight I hope

I joined up to the satguys team and this time around the clients are not bombing on all my machines. I am going to be bringing machines 4 and 5 and possibly 6 online later tonight I hope

Your additions to the team alone have made my Pub Post worthwhile. THANKS AGAIN.

Glad to be part of the team.

For those interested and like me have some spare machines sitting around. On my last two machines I no longer have hard drives for them and don't care to invest in them, so I am using knoppix overclockix version and using a SMB share for the folding data.
Overclockix here
http://overclockix.octeams.com/
Knoppix folding basic setup here. Gotta love the live CD of knoppix
http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/?target=writings.plc&writing=fah-with-knoppix-on-windows-network-share

Luckily I have a nice 750gig NAS setup for my network share of the folding data and other things, but it's nice I don't have to setup a windows machine sharing.

Hopefully in a couple days, my machines should start uploading some data. The two most recent are only 1.2ghz machines, but running in command line mode under linux, they can crunch better then you might expect.

Looks like my PS3 dropped a WU. Had to reset my wireless gaming adapter, and when I did, for some reason my PS3 never recovered the finished WU, and got a new one.

Oh well.

-John