Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Woo, you got one of the 1760 point Work Units, newsjunkie! What are you folding on?

I've been reading the Folding Forum and someone got one of the new 8-core Mac Pros. The combination of eight 3.0 GHz processors yields some pretty impressive folding stats.

It's a Core2 Duo with 2GB ram, running 64-bit Fedora Core 6. I'm hoping it will have another WU done sometime this morning.

I must have felt sorry for you PS3 guys. I just lost one of the Work Units I was working on that was at 70%. :(

One of the "features" of the SMP core (at least on the Mac) is that it uses the localhost connection to coordinate communications between the four core processes. If you're running with DHCP for your LAN connection (and pretty much, who isn't?) and something happens to your router (like you make a change to a router setting), the cores croak with a communications error. I was able to shut down the console-based client, but the Install version died and corrupted the work unit files. Foo!

I think I'll force my Gigabit Ethernet to a fixed IP address to prevent this in the future (hopefully).

Tawhite, how many WUs/day does the PS3 go through? It looks like you can crank out 574-861 pts/day, much better than the PC clients.

I had thought about getting a PS3 for the BluRay movie capability, but now I see that Formula 1 is out for the PS3 which is one more reason to think about it. Although I'm sure my son would have conniptions if I got a Playstation 3 and wouldn't let him play on it because it was folding proteins all day!

Checking the stats, I see "old" Foxbat finally got passed by jgantert this morning. SatelliteGuys.US should easily pass the 100,000 point mark sometime today (~3:00pm EDT), but more importantly, we will break into the top 3000 teams! :cool:

It depends on the size of the work units but for comparison it takes about .06-.08 seconds per frame and my PCs are getting about 28-30 seconds per frame. It is about the only usefull thing I have done with the thing so far. :rolleyes:

I have a PC that is not up very often, and could likely take weeks to get any WU done, so I have tried to select deadlineless. In the Advanced tab, I just changed the pulldown to deadlineless in the Deadlines section.

However, I never get any WUs. I always get this log:

[03:12:33] + Attempting to get work packet
[03:12:33] - Connecting to assignment server
[03:12:33] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.133).
[03:12:33] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[03:12:33] Loaded queue successfully.
[03:12:34] + Could not connect to Work Server
[03:12:34] - Error: Attempt #4 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

Any ideas? I'm on a Semperon 2600+, Windows XP.

-John

:river Just lost another 64% run, more local network issues. I'm getting tired of losing points, even though I did fire up a few PC clients in the house. I'll do my testing when I'm at 2% instead of 80%!

I have a PC that is not up very often, and could likely take weeks to get any WU done, so I have tried to select deadlineless. In the Advanced tab, I just changed the pulldown to deadlineless in the Deadlines section.

However, I never get any WUs. I always get this log:

[03:12:33] + Attempting to get work packet
[03:12:33] - Connecting to assignment server
[03:12:33] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.133).
[03:12:33] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[03:12:33] Loaded queue successfully.
[03:12:34] + Could not connect to Work Server
[03:12:34] - Error: Attempt #4 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

Any ideas? I'm on a Semperon 2600+, Windows XP.

-John

John,

The folding forum stated that the deadlineless wu are not being distributed right now.
http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=19028&highlight=deadlineless

Ok, I've got a question, I downloaded the program at the top of download page--I guess the normal Folding@home software--early (12 A.M.) on the 12th (Thursday). Anyways, I've been running for 2 days straight, plus about 8 hours on my computer (Celeron D 2.53Ghz). I've also got it going on my other computer now for about 12 hours (it is a 3.0Ghz Dual Core P4).

Anyways, it shows in the Display, that I've got 1050/5000 frames for p3040_supervillan-03. Then it shows 4546/5000 (estimated). Under completed WU's it says "none"

However, when I click user stats, it says I've completed a WU, and I've got a big 16 points. Why? According to that, I completed my work unit at 4:15 today, however, in Display, is shows that I still need 450 frames more to go before finishing first WU.

My user ID's are tonyp56 and Jacki (wife) both of us are on the satelliteguys team. Hopefully, we can contribute a little more for the team than so far. But I just don't understand this.

Anyone?

tonyp56, sometimes when a Work Unit ends early, it will upload the partial result and you'll get credit for it. As far as the time it takes a Pentium to crunch, it took my 3.0 GHz P4 a little over 2 days to finish its first WU, so I assume a slower Celeron would take a bit longer. Look at the FAHLog.txt file and check the times between steps. In my case, it was around 31 minutes. Multiple by 100 to get total minutes, then divide by 1440 to get days.

By the end of the day, we should be able to use the EOC site for stats as SatelliteGuys.US will be in the top 2000! Way to go, team!

I added My 2 boxes Thursday plus my notebook on Sunday. Finished 2 WU's this weekend and should have another 3 by thursday.. Glad to help.
KevinW_Fr8mvr

tonyp56, sometimes when a Work Unit ends early, it will upload the partial result and you'll get credit for it. As far as the time it takes a Pentium to crunch, it took my 3.0 GHz P4 a little over 2 days to finish its first WU, so I assume a slower Celeron would take a bit longer. Look at the FAHLog.txt file and check the times between steps. In my case, it was around 31 minutes. Multiple by 100 to get total minutes, then divide by 1440 to get days.

By the end of the day, we should be able to use the EOC site for stats as SatelliteGuys.US will be in the top 2000! Way to go, team!

Well, to give an idea, mine usually says 41/sframes. My wife's computer (Dual Core 3.0 GHZ P4) says 31/sframes. So according to that, about 10 seconds slower per frame than P4. Which, I grant adds up, but don't have the cash to upgrade right now.