Joining Dish this Friday -- can't decide on package

feralcat

Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Hey folks:

I'm sick of paying almost $50/mo for basic Time Warner Cable, and I called, and scheduled a Dish Network install for this upcoming Friday. The representative has explained the basic packages and programs, and I have a day or two, to decide what to pick.

Here's my quandry. I have a 13" TV in the living room, which I want to replace in the very near future with a 20" LCD, and a old 27" upstairs, which I'd like to replace with an HDTV (or possibly a Panasonic EDTV plasma), of some sort.

If I choose the "regular" package -- I think it comes with both these rooms installed, and a DVR (maybe 2?) STB/Tuner -- for $29/mo + $5 for the 2nd receiver...How much work will it be to get OTA HD? I guess I'd need either a TV with internal ATSC tuner, *or* purchase a second HD-STB? Then I'd need an A/B splitter, in almost either case? What about integrating a rooftop OTA feed with the exisiting Dish feed? I'd need diplexers(sp?)? Is this a simple cut-and-splice job?? I don't know about y'all's spouses, but my Doe will certainly not go for a tangle of coax, *3* remotes, physical A/B switches...<shudder> I'm imagining perpetual "blue screens," if I'm not around.

However. I like the low price, and I like the idea of a DVR, which I've never had.

Second option, is to go with the HD package, in which I get, I think, two HD-capable STB's, but *no* DVR, for $10/mo more, since I have to subscribe to that package. The advantage here, is I can at least I don't have to worry about A/B switches, right? I assume the Dish HD STB can integrate the OTA signal, assuming i put up an antenna, with the regular satellite feed? What if I wanted to incorporate a 3rd party DVR, like a Tivo? Not having had a DVR, it's hard to say how desireable that might be.

What would y'all recommend? Start simply with the basic plan? Or go right to the HD-capable STB's?

Thx -- confused.

You will get charged a $5 DVR fee for each 510, 522 or 921 receiver you have on your account unless you take the AEP (America's Everything Package) on top of the $5 addtional outlet fee for each additional receiver on your account. If you have two tuner receivers then you will be accessed an additional $5 for each second tuner on each receiver if you do not have the receivers hooked up to a phone line. I also do not think you can get more than one 522 DVR receiver on a DHA account.

You could go with the basic AT60 package for starters then if you see other channels in the EPG that you would like to have that you are not getting then go from there. The basic package gets you in the door letting you know what it is like.

I would get the 180 channel package with Dish and get the 522 system. You can control two sets with the one receiver. I am with SBC Dish so I get a bundled deal.
I pay 49.95 a month compared to 65.00 I was paying to Telemedia for less.

decided to K.I.S.S

Thx all -- just got off the phone, and decided to keep-it-simple...

I will go with one 522, and the AT60 package, period.

I also asked if I could keep my exisiting TWC in-house cabling free, because I plan to add an OTA antenna, and just use that to route the signal, rather than mess with diplexors, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)