921 Questions ?

sbrinck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Hi
I currently have 2# dish 501's and recently aquired a 811 "leased".
But with the price reduction on the 921 I am thinking about making the jump. After reading the comprehensive reviews on your site a number of questions arise ?
I have heard something about a dish moving next year to MPEG 4 ?
Is this going to make this some models obsolete, that would explain the price drop.
The way Dish markets them selves and products it is hard to believe they are still in business !
Don't get me wrong I have been a customer forever, and have turned a great number of people on to the virtues of DVR. I have also had my share of their growing pains They even got me an early Xmas present in making my S cards obsolete with out sending me the replacments "lost in the mail" funny they never loose my bill. But I am digressing . In your view I can make due with 811 and the 501 but I am on the fence on the 921.
thanks for listening .

Charlie announced on the Charlie Chat tonight that MPEG-4 will require new receivers. He also said they plan to keep everthing that is now MPEG-2 as it is and will use MPEG-4 to add new programming services, especially HD. MPEG-4 receivers are expected to come out in the 4th quarter of 2005......

I was looking at the 921, too. I think I'll wait and continue to rent my 811. There isn't enough HD to record yet to make the 921 worthwhile for me.

Mike J

What I heard him say was that they would have mpeg 4 up by this time next year. You would need a mpeg4 hd receiver to see any new hd content that they were going to add. He said that they weren't going to take away any channels that current customers receive now. They would be switching out the receivers over a 3-4 year period with the hd receivers first on the list. He also said he "thought" there would be an explosion of hd channels by next year at this time. That is pretty substantial to me. So a year from now we will most likely have a lot of hd channels to watch. The question is how are we going to get them. What new hd receiver will we have to switch to . Will it be lease only. Will they let us buy the new hd receivers without paying out the ass. These are all questions left up in the air.

Tune in next month for the next exciting Charlie Chat to find out . :p

Thanks Mike
You are right if it was not for the OTA the 811 would be on its way back to dish.
Part of my motivation to purchase the 921 was to drop that lame HD programing.
Scott

It seems to me I've heard that song before

mike_johnson said:
Charlie announced on the Charlie Chat tonight that MPEG-4 will require new receivers. He also said they plan to keep everthing that is now MPEG-2 as it is and will use MPEG-4 to add new programming services, especially HD. MPEG-4 receivers are expected to come out in the 4th quarter of 2005......

If they say 4th qtr of 2005, Don't expect them till late in 06. Remember all their promises withe 921?????????

Fool me once , shame on you.

Fool me twice...No, but he still got elected..Guess he fooled enough. :mad:

Hi Henry
The only issue I have with what you posted is that "Charles" stated that you will get what is currently dish HD which is about nothing other then Discovery.
TNT & HBO looks like a lame 16:9 converision. On switching to analog I can not tell the differance and as far as paying for HD PPV they have to be kidding I am allready grabing my ankles on the $10.00 per mo.
After the NFL season its is a" coin toss" whether I buy a HD tuner or keep the 811
The shipping carton has not yet made the trash !!