Jump From DirecTV for Dish? Amazing Cost Difference...

Zeigh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
Hello,

We have had DirecTV in our small medical facility for over four years and have no real complaints until recently. With a planned HDTV upgrade, I called to inquire about switching from SD to HD receivers. I was surprised to find that doing so would cost $200 for the basic HD unit. Multiply this by three receivers and the bill comes in at $600! To get some comparison, I called Dish Network and was quoted about $100 (free installation with a two year contract and basic programing). WTF?

I have been around the block a few times and am extremely cautious when something looks too good to be true (like my first wife). I plan to research exactly what channel package we want and then get the quote in writing before I proceed. I will also take the time and pain to my brain to read all the fine print. In the meantime, any comments and/or links to safety tips here? There seems to be an equal number of customer complaints and scams about both companies via the Internet.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Last edited:
Same as my bro

Hello,

We have had DirecTV in our small medical facility for over four years and have no real complaints until recently. With a planned HDTV upgrade, I called to inquire about switching from SD to HD receivers. I was surprised to find that doing so would cost $200 for the basic HD unit. Multiply this by three receivers and the bill comes in at $600! To get some comparison, I called Dish Network and was quoted about $100 (free installation with a two year contract and basic programing). WTF?

I have been around the block a few times and am extremely cautious when something looks too good to be true (like my first wife). I plan to research exactly what channel package we want and then get the quote in writing before I proceed. I will also take the time and pain to my brain to read all the fine print. In the meantime, any comments and/or links to safety tips here? There seems to be an equal number of customer complaints and scams about both companies via the Internet.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

That's the same reason my brother just dumped D* for E*. Welcome:welcome

Call Dishstore, we do commercial and it qualifies for a $50 rebate on top of the Free install.

Our commercial sales manager is Mike and his number is 888-610-1038 or you can call the Dishstores main number at 800-807-0837

This is exactly what my next door neighbor experienced. I have had E* for years and he had D*. He saw my HD and wanted to upgrade with D*. D* had no deal so he switched to E* and is very happy.

Hello,
To get some comparison, I called Dish Network and was quoted about $100 (free installation with a two year contract and basic programing). WTF?

I'm ignorant. What was the $100 for? Commercial acct fee?

I put HD in three rooms (home). The Dish Network installer had to upgrade the wiring in two of the rooms and I paid nothing up front.

We have had DirecTV in our small medical facility for over four years and have no real complaints until recently. With a planned HDTV upgrade, I called to inquire about switching from SD to HD receivers. I was surprised to find that doing so would cost $200 for the basic HD unit.
Sounds like you got quoted the existing customer "sucker" price. Both E* and D* try the same tactic; you'd be surprise how many people fall for it. D* will upgrade you to three HD rec'rs for no more than $100 with only a little pressing (like kindly explaining to them that you'll leave for E* if they don't) as long as you agree to a contract extension.

If you decide to switch to E*, just be aware that their TurboHD packages don't have all the (non-premium) HD channels. Instead they make you spend an extra $18+/month more to buy the Classic(SD)+HD packages just to get many of the good HD channels. Also, don't believe any claims their CEO Charlie makes -- it's well known his statements are often misleading at best.

I have D* Choice Xtra HD DVR package with the Sports Pack, and I have calculated it would cost it barely five bucks more than the comparable package from E* after their promotional period ends. Plus, by switching to E* I would give up access to MLB Extra Innings package and NFL Sunday Ticket; would not get the MLB Network and GOL TV; and be subject to the distinct possibility of having some or all local channels pulled off during E*'s notorious hardball carriage negotiations. For these reasons, I have decided to stick with D* despite E*'s ads proclaiming itself as the "lowest priced satellite provider."

I have D* Choice Xtra HD DVR package with the Sports Pack, and I have calculated it would cost it barely five bucks more than the comparable package from E* after their promotional period ends. Plus, by switching to E* I would give up access to MLB Extra Innings package and NFL Sunday Ticket; would not get the MLB Network and GOL TV; and be subject to the distinct possibility of having some or all local channels pulled off during E*'s notorious hardball carriage negotiations. For these reasons, I have decided to stick with D* despite E*'s ads proclaiming itself as the "lowest priced satellite provider."

The above summarizes the comparison between D* and E* very well.

E* is a little cheaper, but you will be shortchanged a few channels, probably sports. And you may lose some channels for a period of time while Charlie negotiates to save us all $.25 per month.

I have HD Absolute, which is no longer available. At $42/month total, including tax, the price works for me. The biggest drawback is no RSN's. I would have to pay an additional $30/month to get my 2 RSN's by getting a different package. And Dish refuses to accept an additional $10/month I would pay to get them.

If they try to squeeze me out of the Absolute package, I will bolt. I want the RSN's AND the MLB network, too, but for now, for what I get, the price is right ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts