Just a friendly warning about DishStore.net/Metro25's rebate scam

Gifts courtesy of Dishstore, an Authorized DISH Network Retailer. Gift Card requests fulfilled by My Dish Gifts, an Authrorized DISH Network Vendor.

Probably something simple like changing the above statement to:

Gifts courtesy of Dishstore, an Authorized DISH Network Retailer. Gift Card requests fulfilled by My Dish Gifts, an Authorized DISH Network Vendor. My Dish Gifts will charge shipping and handling fees for the delivery of the Gift Card.

** Note I fixed spelling of Authorized ;)

All that I think should happen is that Claude should put on every page, even if it's in the fine print, that a $16 shipping and handling fee would apply to the rebate. And the word rebate is used on the site, Claude, not "gift". Anyway, like I said, I'm not on a crusade, and obviously I'm beating my head against the wall here.
Just finished reading this whole thread and it seems like Claude's solution was to work it out to cover shipping, so no need to change the pages to say there is a fee, and no reason for you to beat your head against a wall.
But the solution has been worked out to cover those shipping charges for the customer, but just thought I would point this out.
Unless I am misreading this.

In the emoticon box, there is a link for "more" which pups up a new window with more emoticons, such as that one.

My problem with this thread is you didn't feel the need to contact the Dishstore in private, instead posting in an open forum...
The OP may very well have gone that route. I have not been thru all 110 or so posts yet.
Sometimes c0onsumers who do not receive what they perceive as an adequate response through proper channels will broadcast their concerns in a public forum. Hence the reason why virtually all tv stations have consumer reporters on staff and some sort of weekly or even daily consumer report feature on the evening news.

Did you read the rebate form? It says it on the form. In fact if I remember correctly it states it a few times.

DISH Network unfortunately requires all rebates and promotions to go through their company. This is so that DISH can now check on the status of your rebate, the issue was other retailers would say they are going to give you something for buying from them and never ship the item or give them the rebate. This was making DISH look like the bad guys so DISH put an end to it.

In the past DISHSTORE use to send you a check directly. It is unfortunate that a few of these shady dealers did this because now it punishes everyone.

The DISH promotions company that DISH picked charges a shipping and handling fee to process the rebates. Its something I don't agree with personally but that is the only way the company will mail out the rebate is if the CUSTOMER pays the shipping and handling on it.

Again this is a limitation put on DISHstore.NET by DISH Network and not something they want to do... honestly it was easier to send everyone a check.
I agree with the premise. However, 16 dollars to prepare and snail mail a one ounce envelope is excessive. In fact IMO it is unconscionable.

Well, isn't $109.00 back better than $0.00?

yer kidding ,right?
That is hardly the point. The rebate is $125 less an unknown S&H fee. THAT is the problem.
This, IMO is a "hidden charge" . A term if reported to the Federal Trade Commission ALWAYS gets their attention.
BUsinesses do not like government intereference in private enterprise. However, when businesses refuse to police themselves, government steps in and mucks up the works.
If the S&H charge was listed in plain English on the paperwork or in the advertisement, there would be no use for this thread to exist.

Again the price is set by the company Dish picked to handle these rebates.

I think Dishstore has to pay them as well.

Again if it wasnt for some dishonest dealers promising things like free dvd players and then never delivering on those items then this would not be happening now.

Yes. A third party sets the S&H rate.
The problem is the consumer is not informed of the amount. THAT is a problem that should be rectified IMMEDIATELY if not sooner.

Perhaps an asterisk immediately below the "$125" rebate in a smaller, but not too small font stateing: "Subject to $16 [handling, processing, whatever] fee." Yes, it takes away from the impact of the $125 figure, but it would put the cost to the consumer right up front, and I believe, IMHO, once the potential subscriber gets over the "sticker shock" of the $16, cooler heads will prevail and as one stews over it, they will realize that they will still be getting $109 back, still a great deal and hard for competitors to match. Bottom line: provided it is disclosed up front, who is dumb enough to pass up a $109 rebate just because the "man" has gotta have his $16 cut?

It's like when you get a discount card at Sears or Best Buy or just about anywhere, they tax you on the SHELF price before the discount, NOT the discounted price. Of course, this is rarely mentioned nor disclosed in print an adult can read without a magnifying glass. Best Buy did this to me, and I didn't like it; it STANK, but ALL the retailers do it, not just Best Buy. It's how they all stick it to us. But I certainly didn't cancel my purchase from Best Buy and walk out as even after the tax charge on shelf, I was still about about $87 AHEAD. Was I to go to a competitor and pay $85 more for the same item just because I didn't like Best Buy's taxing on the shelf "value"? PLEASE!!

The OP's post was inflammatory and wrong to refer to it as a scam", but I am glad to see he regrets the use of that word. Nobody is saying they like it, but these are common business practices in out free market society, and it isn't correct to single out just one retailer for doing (however much it may stink) pretty much what all the others do. 'nuff said.
JUst a minute. If I am reading this correctly, you have shopped retailers which collect sales tax on the REGULAR price of a sale item then deducting the discount? If so, remind me to never shop in your state of residence.
Now ,if this is a REBATE item, then yes, the retailer must collect sales tax on the listed price "off the shelf" of the item because that is the sales price, cash and carry.
For example.....
HP laptop computer....List $800 on sale for $700...Consumer pays sales tax on $700..
HP laptop computer....List $800..with mail in rebate of $100, price $700. Store rings up $800 and collects sales tax on that amount.
Note ..retailers do not "CHARGE" sales taxes. Retailers "COLLECT" sales taxes. Big difference.

I have a rule as a consumer. If an item is advertised at a discounted price and I see the word "rebate" I take a walk.
There have been too many horror stories about rebates. Those include but are not limited to , excessively long waits( 6 months or more) for rebate checks to arrive. Gift cards instead of checks and of course rebates not being delivered at all.
The way I see it is if a business discounts the price of an item, take the reduction at point of sale. Don't try this bull ( fertilizer) rebate stuff.

First of all we are discounting "FREE" so there really is no way to give a reduction at the point of sale, especially considering that not every sale is going to get installed.

Second of all, I don't think we have ever had an issue of a customer waiting excessively long to receive a rebate or gift with purchase with any of our promotions

As far as shipping, putting a first class stamp on a gift card is like sending cash in the mail. You need tracking, signature and insurance. You know how many times I have gotten calls from customers saying their never received their gift? You need a tracking number with a signature to back everything up, or your taking the customers word for it and shipping out a replacement at your expence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)